Kenji redeeming himself?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think he needs to redeem himself. He is very knowledgeable and helps many people better understand cooking and the science that is involved. Much like Alton Brown, I might not always agree but it doesn't make me right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and like everything else personal preference plays a large role.

The blog post on the Misen knife was well thought out, so I don't know what people would find disagreeable.

I'm not sure how to interpret your rank and file home cooks comment? Kenji's experience working in restaurants and for Cooks Illustrated, plus his passion for figuring out why things work makes him an interesting read. Why is that only for home cooks?

Jay

I didn't say it was 'only' for home cooks---i said that he has a strong influence on home cooks.
Regarding his misen review, if you re-read the original thread, many kkf members lambasted the project for attempting to reinvent the wheel and took issue with his review, hence my joking implication of his need for penance to hard-core knife fans.

Last edited:
Reading that thread (I wasn't here then), if not bought-and-sold it sounded like a car magazine gushing over the new mid-size sedan. Which, technically, is not bought-and-sold... but they don't alienate the advertisers.

I'm a fan of Kenji and of the Serious Eats website. Glad he participated in the cited discussion - wish it had not gone to crap.

But seriously "Don't put knives in the dishwasher?" If he gets paid for that the more power to him. Yawn.

I really like his recipes, his cookbook is fabulous and I like his approach to cooking.

the only flaw I could find in this article is that he mentions using a hone which wouldn't be so great on harder steels..

Again he is not giving advice to KKF. I have had smart people who like cooking argue with me about how it's ok to put knives in the dishwasher as long as they are in the rack by themselves outside of the silverware basket. This is an incredibly common practice.

Years ago I pointed out to Kenji a rather glaring error in a sous vide article he had written. He professed embarrassment and indicated he would fix it. The error remains to this day.

I think many people disagreed with kenji's position on the misen kick-started project, but his influence with rank-and-file home cooks is hard to deny. He's just posted a nice list of ways to properly treat knives. Maybe some folks will be nudged into checking out better knives, too.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/ways-to-ruin-your-knives-knife-care-tips-safety.html

More gushing endorsement for the Misen Boys, tsk tsk Kenji. 1year+ since their million+ windfall and not only have they not delivered, they haven't updated their investors in almost a month.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/misenkitchen/misen-cook-sharp/comments

Yet gushing endorsements of a kind still come from the K, though I suppose he has done far more goodness than badness, at least I hope that is what Maxwell Smart would say.

More gushing endorsement for the Misen Boys, tsk tsk Kenji. 1year+ since their million+ windfall and not only have they not delivered, they haven't updated their investors in almost a month.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/misenkitchen/misen-cook-sharp/comments

Yet gushing endorsements of a kind still come from the K, though I suppose he has done far more goodness than badness, at least I hope that is what Maxwell Smart would say.

I ordered a Misen to see what it was all about. On September 22d I got this email update:

"Hello Everyone,

We're so excited to get your Misen knives to you...

...but in order to do so, we need to make sure we have the right address!

Today is THE FINAL DAY for you to change or update your address, and it's so easy to do!

Just email us at [email protected] with your new address and phone number, and we'll take care of the rest.

Also, we just wanted to share a quick shot of your knives at sea from a few days ago. We can't wait to see what you create!

All the best,
The Misen Team"

Also, we just wanted to share a quick shot of your knives at sea from a few days ago.

All the best,
The Misen Team"
777888999.jpg

Couldn't resist, Rick. :peepwall:

Kenji twitted yesterday...

Good news, folks, I've got reliable word that the first shipment of @misenkitchen knives is going out TOMORROW.

No posts today (yet) that anything has shipped.

Best current comment... :D

Lane McColl about 16 hours ago

[FONT=&amp]I'm sitting in my house in Miami. The hurricane has us confined inside. People have come to stay with us because their house is in much more danger than we are here. They brought their dogs. We are out of beer. They have kids. Everyone is starting to argue and someone just ate the last piece of pie. One of the guests has a gas problem.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thankfully, I don't have my Misen knives[/FONT]

Lane must be a recent import. No Floridian runs out of beer or whiskey when a hurricane is brewing:cool2:

Officially a Jersey expat now. Pretty sure the other Daves haven't moved...yet.
Oh, and a hurricane is just a typhoon's little sister. :razz:
Had one just last week. And an earthquake last night.
And I never run out of emergency alcohol.

Latest posts

Back