Khao men

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been two years. Any updates of usage & rotations of Khao Men over time? Any one changes their mind?
They aren't superfine finishers and they aren't very fast, so their usage range is somewhat limited. The grey mud doesn't give a lot of visual feedback about cutting speed, and the finish isn't super high contrast.

It isn't a bad stone for what it is, but it lacks many of the things that make some other stones covetable. Perhaps most importantly, information about it is limited and there is little in the way of a compelling narrative.

I rarely use mine now because I have too many other stones in the range.

When I had a Heiji semistainless, . . . well that knife liked being sharpened on pretty much anything I had.

I have a Heiji carbon now and . . . in sharpening its a little more stiff and wear resistant, like the steel matrix is harder, probably because it is.

I use a Narutaki Suita that is tool stone hardness as a finisher on my knives. I doesn´t matter too much how I get there. . .

Honestly, at this point with my sharpening, I can get a great edge at any grit 1000 and above. The higher grits just make the very edge more polished or thinner and with less friction. So they sink through food with less force, which I do like, but I do stop at the Narutaki, even though I have and have tried razor stones and have gotton more slick edges, it´s not worth the hassle to me.

Progression from chipped edge was--
aoto
khao men
narutaki suita

although i coulda just gone from a 1k to 6k to narutaki suita.

I like Heiji a lot because the edge feels like a burr. Even though the burr comes off. And I make darn well sure it comes off. . .

Which is to say keep your fingers as close to the edge as possible when you´re doinig your final strokes to refine the edge, then reduce pressure and speed. Edge trailing vs leading doesnt matter as much compared to this.

I´m happy with Heiji and the edge I can get, and I like it more than the edge from my previous favorite with both flavors of TF.

I like khao men as a slower 6k synth replacement because I´m lazy to break out the soaking stones.

[A]ren't superfine finishers...aren't very fast...grey mud...visual feedback...

Exactly! You are a mind reader. This is an insightful, thoughtful & kind description (I read through 6 pages of this & more info circa 2016-7). I just wanted to know really all of these. Thank you.

When I had a Heiji semistainless, . . . well that knife liked being sharpened on pretty much anything I had.

I have a Heiji carbon now and . . . in sharpening its a little more stiff and wear resistant, like the steel matrix is harder, probably because it is.

I use a Narutaki Suita that is tool stone hardness as a finisher on my knives. I doesn´t matter too much how I get there. . .

Honestly, at this point with my sharpening, I can get a great edge at any grit 1000 and above. The higher grits just make the very edge more polished or thinner and with less friction. So they sink through food with less force, which I do like, but I do stop at the Narutaki, even though I have and have tried razor stones and have gotton more slick edges, it´s not worth the hassle to me.

Progression from chipped edge was--
aoto
khao men
narutaki suita

although i coulda just gone from a 1k to 6k to narutaki suita.

I like Heiji a lot because the edge feels like a burr. Even though the burr comes off. And I make darn well sure it comes off. . .

Which is to say keep your fingers as close to the edge as possible when you´re doinig your final strokes to refine the edge, then reduce pressure and speed. Edge trailing vs leading doesnt matter as much compared to this.

I´m happy with Heiji and the edge I can get, and I like it more than the edge from my previous favorite with both flavors of TF.

I like khao men as a slower 6k synth replacement because I´m lazy to break out the soaking stones.

you are also a mind reader. Scary. Felt this coming. F*uk me! Exactly what I need, the precise updates to patch so many information holes & knowledge gaps! I read TOO MUCH about khao men, heiji, expensive ohira/nakayama maruka and humble narutaki but going no where haha!

Which ones below that you get the sharpest (most polished, least friction, best ability to go thru food) out of the aoto/Khao men/narutaki suita progression?

Heiji iwasaki carbon steel, TF Denka, Heiji semi-stainless, and TF white? And which one is quickest to get there for you?

I definitely don’t like to grab all soaking stones that I have as well. Thank you for the tips from getting “the last burrs” off the heiji!

Heiji carbon gets the edge I like the fastest. TF both steels can feel harder and give less feedback in sharpening and in use. In use it's like I push down into food and then suddenly it penetrates. Heiji is a bit more continuous and I need to press less hard somehow, so it "feels" sharper that way, which is why I like it.

Narutaki suita is my favorite, so I've been using it the most. I have some super duper nakayama kiita (medium-hard and really fine but fastish cutting) and I don't really like them. I also have super hard fine okudo asagi type stuff and shobudani, and they don't really matter much. I would use them for razors, but controlling them for knives is kind of a waste of time, especially for the large bevel. When I mean waste of time, I mean go ahead and buy it if you really want, but I did and I don't like to use them. Choosing a knife and sharpening techniques mattered more, in that order.

In terms of hardness and fineness, it seems like the narutaki is a tad harder than the ohira renge around here, and a tad finer. Just preferences.

I like Heiji carbon > heiji semi > tf denka > tf white, but really, they are more different steels. . . they sharpen and get different kinds of sharp. If you want the most wicked "I don't like you and I never liked you" kind of sharp, the TF denka does that, because after the initial infinitesmally small hesitation, it rips right through food. But I like the Heiji flavor of sharp.

In terms of of polish . . . you can reduce frition substaintially if you polish with a specific polishing stone that don't tend to necessarily give the best edge, but I haven't bought stones for polishing, strictly. If you have hard stone, yeah I guess you can use it to burnish right before the very edge to reduce friction there, then add a real edge.

Edge parallel strokes tend to give less friction for the final edge, so you can do that, too, if you want, but they can have a tad less bite than edge leading and then edge trailing, respectively, in my own practice.

I mean . . . it wasn't a cheap narutaki suita though, so there's that. But really, I don't know. I used the cheaper hideriyama at Japanese Knife Imports and they were muddier than what I like, but I feel I could do well with them too. The muddier stones give a rounded and lower grit edge as default, and I like crisper bevels, so if that's what you're looking for, you can go to the harder end of stones, just not razor hard. Tool hard is the very practical limit, you just have to still have to kind of baby the edge though, and touch ups would require going to a lower grit and then the tool stone if you make it too dull. Not practical for most people; if this was more of a working knife I would get a medium-hard jnat more in the ohira range of things.

Anyway back the khao men -- I think if you get a jnat equivalent of it, it would be great. I think that jnats generally refine down more, even by feeling the grit between my fingers. Maybe choose one just a tad harder, and that would be great. But I think softer stones are more friendly to use cause they cut a lot faster, and if they get too muddy, just wash off the mud and sharpen slowly to approximate what I've been saying with the harder stones.

If you have specific questions you can directly message me as I think I'm getting off topic from khao men.

For me, what you and XooMG wrote about Khao Men were eye-opening and insightful. The true meaning of knife & cut. Thank you. I still remember your February posts. Very sharp but unique. Read them many times. Observing you expertly cut through a lot of craps that secret, powerful knife police were saying.

Hard Narutaki seems like a great stone after Khao Men to make your Heiji sharp. Your posts here & February posts relate to it in a deep way because I appreciate all the process how you thought through all of these, back and forth, left & right. for me it’s sometimes more important, especially that I like Heiji knife & consider the natural stone usage for Heiji heat treatment. I try to dial in what is best for me to own a Heiji knife, not being owned by it. Your posts were just more helpful than one dimension. They cut with care. Many people may not like. But I like it. Thank you.

Last edited:
It looks like interest in these initially surged but then died out. Is anyone still using theirs?

I sold mine locally. It smelled a little sulfury is the main reason

It acts like a fast muddy extra fine aoto, or at least mine did. More aggressive and hair cutting edge

They aren't superfine finishers and they aren't very fast, so their usage range is somewhat limited. The grey mud doesn't give a lot of visual feedback about cutting speed, and the finish isn't super high contrast.

It isn't a bad stone for what it is, but it lacks many of the things that make some other stones covetable. Perhaps most importantly, information about it is limited and there is little in the way of a compelling narrative.

I rarely use mine now because I have too many other stones in the range.
I agree with @XooMG

It's like a 1000 stone working at the speed of a 6000. I much prefer faster stones in the 1000 range.

It's a good way to learn sharpening as it takes longer to sharpen. But for convenience there are many better options.

I still enjoyed mine!

I agree with @XooMG

It's like a 1000 stone working at the speed of a 6000. I much prefer faster stones in the 1000 range.

It's a good way to learn sharpening as it takes longer to sharpen. But for convenience there are many better options.

I still enjoyed mine!

^This is exactly it^

I was very kindly given one by @captaincaed last year. And though I don’t use it a massive amount, I do think it’s rather unusual and interesting, and because of that - I rather like it.

A very slow stone in sharpening terms, but doesn’t finish particularly fine because it’s also quite soft. That does however make it very nice to use - it’s a lovely feeling stone.

@refcast ‘s comparison to Aoto is pretty spot on too (imo). The one I have is far more similar to some Japanese stones - particularly Aoto - than any western natural is.

Definitely not a fast stone, and I agree with @cotedupy it feels amazing.

It produces a great edge for food, but lacks in the finishing department.

There are faster stones and better finishing, but i like mine.

Back