kicking the wasps nest.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memorael

Reaction score
So I've been thinking, anyone up for a sharpening olympics 2.0?:bat:

I only made a small dent in the links (wasn't going to read 40ish pages of 6 year old posts tonight) but this sounds like fun :D. I'll be watching with interest…

I enjoyed the first one. be fun to see this in 2.0 form.

Oh my, yes please. My body is ready. Would love to see Dave compete this time too.

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to pledge some cash towards the purchase of the testing knives.

So I guess the voting should comence, aaaaaaaand... we need knives to sharpen... Anyone have a connect to put up 5 knives for the olympics and then return them to the owner? preferably 5 of the same? Jon? anybody? Then all we need is people that want to enter the competition I say we vote for three and leave 2 at random. If you want to join the competition just post I'm in and Dave can set up a voting thingy or any other mod. We will figure out things as we go along lol.:nunchucks:

It would be great to do another of these. I'd vote that part of the entry criteria should be documenting the process, ideally by video, but at least a very detailed write-up so that everyone else can benefit from the knowledge of how the edges were achieved. Does anyone consider their sharpening routine a trade secret?

The knives should be one of the popular ones recommended to beginners, either a Tojiro DP as the original started out or the HSPS, or some Gesshin if Jon is up for sponsoring. Or a Tanaka Blue2 or VG10.

It would be great to do another of these. I'd vote that part of the entry criteria should be documenting the process, ideally by video, but at least a very detailed write-up so that everyone else can benefit from the knowledge of how the edges were achieved. Does anyone consider their sharpening routine a trade secret?

The knives should be one of the popular ones recommended to beginners, either a Tojiro DP as the original started out or the HSPS, or some Gesshin if Jon is up for sponsoring. Or a Tanaka Blue2 or VG10.

Some people apparently strop on the unglazed bottom of a ceramic coffee cup, for the Olympics we'll have to ensure nobody uses performance enhancing mugs :groucho:

If mandatory video explaining WHY the knife was "sharpened/improved" AND a profile AND choil shot AND a sharpening station pic (or in the video) I will donate one Tojiro DP 240 with shipping #1. I will also pay to have the winning Tojiro shipped back. I will also pay for a modest gift to the winner of the "Best in Beginner knife" category.

BTW: I sent a bent Tojiro DP 240 Gyuto to daveb a month ago for refurbishing and he was complimentary to the knife and says a friend in need is using it in rotation at a proper kitchen. Who knew?

So I am guessing the tojiro, DP is a knife that is suitable for the competition. Let me send a few Emails and see if I can find a sponsor.

Cheers all!, guys remember to post I'm in if you wish to enter the competition.

So been talking to a knife guy and theres a very high possibility of the knives being sponsored for the competitions use so I think this is almost a done deal. So we have about two contestants plus me thats three, we need some more people to make the voting and stuff for the competition, come on guys, time to walk the walk.:bat:

I'm in (I'm from Israel so it may be tricky but I'm in) 😀

Some people apparently strop on the unglazed bottom of a ceramic coffee cup, for the Olympics we'll have to ensure nobody uses performance enhancing mugs :groucho:

You're joking, but it would be awesome if someone (even if not as part of this competition) demonstrated what could be accomplished on some basic knife with a cement block, a brick, a mug, newspaper, and a flattening plate (just to give them all a flat working surface). It would be eye-opening to see exactly how much functional sharpness was bought with fancy sharpening toys.

You're joking, but it would be awesome if someone (even if not as part of this competition) demonstrated what could be accomplished on some basic knife with a cement block, a brick, a mug, newspaper, and a flattening plate (just to give them all a flat working surface). It would be eye-opening to see exactly how much functional sharpness was bought with fancy sharpening toys.

You need to see MC sharpen on a cinder block and strop on cardboard...I'd link it but mobile.

Back