Kikuichi TKC Rust Problem

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the welded vs. pinned bolsters are measures knife manufactures use to save time/cost. I remember lots of problem with the Hiromoto monosteel white 2 gyutos with having pinned vs. welded. I am not necessarily saying that pinned is bad, some pinned bolsers, when done well and carefully, are beautiful and create a nice asthetics to the knife, such as the FH forum knife and the Nenoxes.

It may be in this case that they went with pinned and did not do it right.

I have taken apart three ichimonji TKC's and all the tangs were in so-so condition,nothing some 36 grit hand sanding could not remove.I do find it odd that those blades have pinned bolsters.

My solution for the Hiromoto Solid White #2 was to seal off the bolsters pieces with clear nail varnish using multiple coats.

The CarboNext is exactly the same knife as the Ichimonji TKC (but with ugly kanji). One and the same OEM, Koki told me.

I found a thread where Mark states the 240 gyuto was done in a different factory than the other knives, those being pinned.....

Interesting. I remember when I was waiting for the Kikuichi's to come in at CKTG and almost decided to buy a regular Ichimonji instead because they took so long to come in. The cost was roughly the same and the wait would have been the same too when all was said and done. Oh well, now my knife has a slick new pair of pants on them.

k.

The CarboNext is exactly the same knife as the Ichimonji TKC (but with ugly kanji). One and the same OEM, Koki told me.

That certainly may be the case with the steel and profile, but the last two Carbo Nexts I have re-handled have both been welded bolster.

So after reading this I worriedly inspected my 270 Kikuichi TKC that I got from CKTG at close to the same time that the one that Dave posted about was. Interestingly / thankfully, mine has welded bolsters. This would make sense if they where from different OEM's. When my knife was new, I could barely see the transition from blade to bolster, but now that they blade has developed a patina from pinch grip, the weld and bolster transitions are clearly visible as they have not reacted like the blade (see photos):
2011-12-09%u002525252013.51.00.jpg
2011-12-09%25252013.47.44.jpg

That certainly may be the case with the steel and profile, but the last two Carbo Nexts I have re-handled have both been welded bolster.

Ah. The Ichimonji TKC and the CarboNext are one and the same (both have welded bolsters), but the Kikuichi TKC 240mm is different (riveted/pinned). Confusing ain't it?

on a slightly off topic note, there is a benefit to pinned bolsters (especially when well done). When welding on a bolster, chances are pretty high that that area becomes weak due to temp changes. Pinned bolsters maintain the strength of the tang area.

i wonder how koki knows they're the same? because wasn't he saying a while ago that they are similar but not identical?

Ah. The Ichimonji TKC and the CarboNext are one and the same (both have welded bolsters), but the Kikuichi TKC 240mm is different (riveted/pinned). Confusing ain't it?

So the who makes the Kikuichi TKC w/welded bolster then?

Complicated indeed!! This is like the kitchen knife version of the Maury Povich(sp?) show. WHO BE THE TKC'S BABY DADDY!?!??

The first batch of 240s were sourced from the Ichimonji/CarboNext OEM by Kikuichi. Later, Kikuichi then found another OEM because of QC issues with the first OEM (this was a common complaint with Ichimonji TKCs and has been for years). The second OEM produced them with riveted bolsters.

BTW, I've noted before that many Sakai brands have that riveted bolster design, including Tadatsuna, Konosuke, Yusuke, Ashi Ginga and Ichimonji. But I've been told that the fit and finish varies from brand to brand. With my Sakai Yusuke, it is so tightly fitted that you have to look really closely to work out that it's not a one-piece construction.

i wonder how koki knows they're the same? because wasn't he saying a while ago that they are similar but not identical?

I was passing on what Koki told me by email: that they were exactly the same. Different kanji is the only point of difference.

I do think that this isn't a pinned bolster problem across the board. I've re-handled many knives with pinned bolsters and never saw anywhere near this type of rust issue with any others. This was the first Kikuichi TKC that I've rehandled though (at least I believe it is) so the jury is still out on this being a larger problem or an isolated incident with Kikuichi TKC's.

Back