kitchen pranks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a co owner/manager that insisted on oversampling every special we made. Huge scoops of everything off the line. He had developed a bad cocaine problem and would really get in the way. One busy night , I announced " the avocado sauce is ready for the shrimp and lobster special" holding out a large serving spoon of wasabi . He came running, grabbed it out of my hand. I thought his eyes were gonna pop out before he ran away. We didn't see him for days.

That is a good one that's for sure...the best thing to do to someone in my opinion is turning something off on them and theyre like *** why is it not cooking when its not busy obviously I Would be heated though thats for sure nothing like a porkchop not cooking in the oven

I really dislike these kinds of pranks. There's always that one guy that just doesn't know when enough is enough.

I agree with you there is a time for everything...You get someone good once that should be it in my opinion

Am I the only one? Love pranks, have worked in kitchens, English is my first language and I read this with some interest, but couldn't understand several of the descriptions though I imagine they were great.

Anything which gets the servers is tops in my book - they deserve it all - sabotaged eats being the classic.

hot sauce in a servers drink
blue cheese cheesecake--when i was a pastry chef did this to see who was eating my cheesecake. told the kitchen staff not to touch it server said my cheesecake was bad

Long story short, if you garnish just about ANYTHING the right way, servers will attempt to eat anything.

I think we molded butter or crisco one time and made it look like a cake.. Yup. People ate it.

i had one job where servers would snack off of plates in the window when no one was looking. so after i cleaned ribeyes and other stuff, i would slice the cap( pure fat) batter and fry them. out of the fryer they looked exactly like chicken strips. i would put them in window and wait. eventually the staff would assume they were extra chicken strips and chow down. good times!:lol2:

i had one job where servers would snack off of plates in the window when no one was looking. so after i cleaned ribeyes and other stuff, i would slice the cap( pure fat) batter and fry them. out of the fryer they looked exactly like chicken strips. i would put them in window and wait. eventually the staff would assume they were extra chicken strips and chow down. good times!:lol2:

That sounds good. I love beef fat, especially that from a ribeye.

Sending the newbie off to get a bowl of co2. Usually the other store is set up to end up giving them a bowl just covered. If no basement tell the newbee when asked "where is x" reply "its in the basement."

Make a roux and call it butterscotch pudding. Someone always tries it. Wrapped a coworkers jeep, inside and out with plastic wrap. put confetti in a friends car vents, so when they turn on the car it blows out on them.

I've had my car cling wrapped, I've had my pushbike suspended from an eleven ft ceiling, I've had my locker filled with packing peanuts.

Each time I totally deserved it... :biggrin:

Ooo reminds me of another one. Not so much a prank, more just cruelty. an old "it's your last shift" tradition we had going for a while, cling wrap / tape the person to a chair and cover them in 20L of ice water, flour, eggs, whipped cream, fish sauce... You name it. Luckily at this place we were a resort on the ocean so we jumped into the ocean in full uniform after :)

Peanut butter or something sticky under the car door handles is also good.

This thread is giving me lots of new ammo... Muhaha

green tea ice cream that's really a ball of wasabi
wasabi tempura
coffee puck cake
staining tasting spoons with jalapenos/bird's eye chillis
ask apprentice to smell a large mixing bowl. hit bowl hard
get waitstaff to send in fake dockets
put someone's phone in watertight container. place in bigger container. fill with water. freeze. make a call when they're in the freezer
proclaim to apprentice that there is salt in the sugar. tell them it needs to be sifted to separate
throwing a sack of flour on someone's last shift

How could I forget about Mr. Marbles?

IMG_20120709_201744.jpg

We would hide him in your office under your desk or in your chair or maybe at the end of the night when you drive home he's sitting in your child seat in the back of your Acadia. Never know.....

Man, I could write a book... The best prank at a restaurant I was ever part of was when we put salt in the sugar dispenser next to the staff coffee machine. Simple, but VERY effective.

Best firehall prank would have to go to a former Toronto Maple Leaf turned FF who I have worked with. He had the other guys in the hall all get in on it to convince the new rookie that he had to quit the NHL because of a motor bike accident that cost him his leg. He never spoke about it, but the guys all quietly would whisper things like, "Man, he's amazing at his job considering that accident", and "have you seen the guy play recently? He just started up with hockey again and he skates circles around the guys, even with the prosthetic". All the while, he's take his boots off...well, the right one, and keep the left on at all times. Sometimes he'd fake a small limp and rub just below his knee, while NEVER mentioning a thing. Finally, one day the rookie got curious and asked the guys about it. Of course their response was that he'd lost his leg in a bike accident, and was pretty sensitive about it. A few months later, Christmas came around and the ex-hockey player brought in some pictures of the family playing with their presents, etc. one of the pics had been photoshopped so that he only ha one leg, and was in pajama shorts. Crutches were leanin up against the wall beside him, to complete the effect. The guys all looked at the pics, and when they got to the rookie, his eyes bulged out of his head...but he stayed quiet. Fast forward three more months, and not another word was said. The act was kept up until one day, the hockey player snapped, looked at the rookie and said, "Holy sh!t! I can't do it anymore. Do you really think they'd let a guy with one leg be a firefighter? I haven't been able to kick bot my boots off, for 8 months because of you! Do you know how hard it was to time my showers so you wouldn't see?"

Talk about commitment to a joke!

put fish sauce in my sous chefs beer then got him a new beer and just before I left for the night he was having a smoke so I put fish sauce in his second beer aswell. next day he rode me the whole day

Make a bundt cake out of old, sticky coffee grounds by pressing into a bowl really hard. Garnish with chocolate syrup and tell servers it's an oreo bundt cake.

We had this "berry sauce" that looked like blood. I filled a latex glove with it, slipped my hand in and started running around the kitchen screaming. Everybody's face turned white.

A month or so after that, we all had a day where we were all playing simple pranks on each other. It all culminated with the sous chef sticking a pretty graphic note on my back. Which I didn't notice for quite some time. When I did notice, I told him I was going to get him back someday. Well, I sure did...

Me and the sous chef in the past had talked about ulcers. I used to have pretty bad ulcers that I treated and cured. He was having them pretty bad. I baited him by telling him "God, I think my ulcers are coming back. My stomach has been hurting really bad lately." About an hour later I went and filled my mouth with the aforementioned "berry sauce". I walked out of the walk in, found him and gave him my best acting of my life. I gave him a sickly look. I clutched my stomach and grabbed the wall like I was reeling in pain. I let loose my mouth full of "blood" all over the floor in front of him. His face drained of blood and jaw hit the floor. Now I know what someone's face looks like when they really think that I am seconds from death. Its a look of fear, terror and concern... times 10. He grabbed me and yelled "Vic! Vic! Sit down!" Then he grabbed the phone and I started busting out laughing. I said "I told you I would get you back, mf'er!" Then he gave me a good punch in my chest.

I know... that was really cold.

After I did the "bloody hand" trick my co-worker told me a story about his co-worker in the past. I thought it was pretty good so I'll relay the third hand info. His co-worker filled a few fingers of a glove with ground sausage. He slipped his hand in and curled his fingers underneath so they were tucked into his palm. He then proceeded to cut up some of his mis and when the other guy on the line walked by, he buried his knife deep into his "sausage fingers" and severed them. The witness supposedly threw up immediately.

Not kitchen related but a funny off the cuff prank. My buddy bought a house with a bunch of climbing vines growing all over one side of the house. My other friend told him the best way to get rid of the vines was to feed them Miracle Grow because it would "cause the vines to grow too fast and choke themselves off and die". That's not how it works!

Head chef used to live in a cottage which was down a hill from the hotel.Team of us rolled really big snowballs down the hill (post pub)and stacked them up in front of the only door in the cottage.More snow and plumeting temperatures meant the snowballs froze.Next day the chef came it at about 11am and rounded up his suspects.Turns out his daughter had an early morning job delivering newspapers and complained she could not get out the door.Dad (chef) and mum have huge argument with daughter telling her not to be lazy and go to work.Eventually chef got out of bed andthe only tool available to him to tunnel out of his now snow and ice filled doorway was a broomhandle.Took him an hour to get the door open.Took him weeks to get someone to admit who was involved-that person was my girlfriend.Chef got his revenge in many cruel and unusual ways.

Asked apprentice to check the Mulberry coulis - was kangaroo blood.Put searing hot pan full of chilli powder undr stall door while commis was taking a dump.Get the long stand/souffle pump/mince hook from the neighbouring restaurant.Hide fish carcass under the firewall of annoying demi-chefs car.
on a cautionary tale - worked as an electrical labourer for a while .Sparky told me a group of workmates went for a weekend drinking in Amsterdam.One guy was always ringing his wife whilst in the pub and getting grief from the others so for a laugh they put some sexy lingerie in his suitcase without his knowledge.Got home ,wife did his laundry,questions were asked.End result he ended up divorced and lost his house.

Didn't care much for this "out of his league" sous chef who always liked to stab his fingers into everything to taste so one day I was making caramel when I saw him coming down the back line. As he approached I suck my finger in my mouth mimicking tasty delight. He saw my expression and without thought immediately dunked his finger into the molten hot caramel. And what do we do when we burn our wittle fingers? Stick them immediately into our mouths like a knee jerk reaction to make the burning stop. Well, that hot caramel not only burned his finger but made him look like he had a bad break out of the lip herps too. I'm sure he didn't really enjoy explaining That one too his wife (who was sweet as could be by the way).
Yes, this one was a bit cruel, but heck that was 15 years ago

Stuck his fingers I caramel? Sounds like he'd be out of his depth in a puddle.

I love misinformation pranks. A really dumb (but sweet) server came to the pass in the middle of a function:

"Chef, what sort of meat is the rillettes?"
"Oh, that's camel..."
"Really. What cut ?"
"Um, that's the toe."
"Do you get much meat in a camel toe?"
"Yeah, you'd be surprised..."

We had the FOH manager fill her in before she could offer any customers the cameltoe rillettes.

Last edited:
Didn't care much for this "out of his league" sous chef who always liked to stab his fingers into everything to taste so one day I was making caramel when I saw him coming down the back line. As he approached I suck my finger in my mouth mimicking tasty delight. He saw my expression and without thought immediately dunked his finger into the molten hot caramel. And what do we do when we burn our wittle fingers? Stick them immediately into our mouths like a knee jerk reaction to make the burning stop. Well, that hot caramel not only burned his finger but made him look like he had a bad break out of the lip herps too. I'm sure he didn't really enjoy explaining That one too his wife (who was sweet as could be by the way).
Yes, this one was a bit cruel, but heck that was 15 years ago

Awesome. Homeboy deserved that one. Hot caramel is menacing.

I had a waitress ask me if gherkins are animals........she thought they were some sort of small sea creature. I told her sea cucumbers turn into gherkins when they get older

Back