Kitchen pros: why does brunch suck so much

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course. But I prefer to deal with not being on time (and honestly most staff issues) more directly and bluntly, while still being calm.

I once scheduled a girl out of existence. She needed to see me on an issue, but kept dodging me. So I cut her shifts.

Every week she didn’t come while I was present in store, I cut a day. She went unscheduled for a month.

She finally came and saw me, then got fired for a second violation of not carding for cigs.

I once scheduled a girl out of existence. She needed to see me on an issue, but kept dodging me. So I cut her shifts.

Every week she didn’t come while I was present in store, I cut a day. She went unscheduled for a month.

She finally came and saw me, then got fired for a second violation of not carding for cigs.

I have never fired anyone. People only fire themselves.

EDIT: take that back. I've fired myself a time or two. 😂

I’ve been writing people up lately. Sometimes the shame of a write up along with “this is a 3 strikes your out” is enough to get them to go away.
People often know their on their last leg once the write ups begin and they make the decision to part ways without the sit down talk ending in a dismissal.

Last edited:
(I'm not in the industry, but personnel **** is universal.)

I've always been the guy who comes in and does the difficult personnel work that the last person was too lazy or chickenshit to do.

Luckily, sometimes that's promoting people, but mostly it's giving toxic or incompetent people a clean slate, clear expectations, and a fair shot, and then doing the inevitable, kindly, when they fail to change.

One of the most important lessons I learned from the best boss I ever had was that it is possible - and it is your obligation - to be kind even when doing things that will hurt someone, even when - especially when - the person has done nothing to warrant and will not perceive the kindness.

I don't enjoy it, but I enjoy the effect of NOT doing it even less.

Last edited:
Light’em up Chef.

I volunteered to run a brunch program. I’m the ace egg guy. We have a new chef, owner lets me re do the menu type situation, good clean fun. Service pumps. Ingredients are solid. I’m stoked.

Menu is great once we gut my dumb flourishes, but the Chef steals my only other, real cook. (*******.)

I train up the girl that’s been there the longest, the one that all the other chef’s used to ride (give a hard time to, usually for shortcuts). I show her how to cook, how to think, how to make better shortcuts and better use of her time, (PLEASE DON’T EAT CANDY FOR BREAKFAST REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME?”) She works really hard, does great. AND she LOUD.

my brand new “egg cook” has never cooked eggs in his life, and as a bonus he’s slow. Stays slow. At least he’s nice.

The host staggers seating and we survive for a bit. Barely. The owner hears about this, and has a fit.

“***”

In a moment of inspiration: i shuffle roles. I jump from expo back on to egg station, train loud girl on expo, move slow guy to grill, and the owners son comes in to work garm.

It clicks. We can jam. Homeboy on grill just has to not miss his calls and we golden. Salad station stays simple, I go back to hanging on for dear life Friday-Sunday mornings, and I swear to God, Loud Girl is twice the man that i am at expediting.

The end.

Postscript: brunch gripes! brunch can get messy. I am loathe to work stations that are incredibly difficult to work and keep clean. So I don’t. I’ll just work somewhere else.

Today I will pay partial penance for my youthful indiscretions by trying to teach a bunch of 16 year olds to make omelets on Friday afternoon right before school gets out.

PXL_20240301_191426640.jpg

One of the most important lessons I learned from the best boss I ever had was that it is possible - and it is your obligation - to be kind even when doing things that will hurt someone, even when - especially when - the person has done nothing to warrant and will not perceive the kindness.
If you have to be cruel to be kind, you also have to be kind to be cruel.

I've never had kids, so I may well be full of ****, but I have long believed that supervisory work is pretty much parenting.

You try to guide and shape people, give them the tools they need to succeed, correct them when they screw up, recognize them when they excel, and when they do something so unbelievably stupid that you want to destroy them where they stand, you take a deep breath, give it a day, and then react.

Done well, you can have a profound effect on people's lives. Well, I suppose that done poorly, that is also true, but the effect is inverted.

My best and worst days at work were all directly concerned with other people's successes or failures.

Last edited:
I've never had kids, so I may well be full of ****, but I have long believed that supervisory work is pretty much parenting.

You try to guide and shape people, give them the tools they need to succeed, correct them when they screw up, recognize them when they excel, and when they do something so unbelievably stupid that you want to destroy them where they stand, you take a deep breath, give it a day, and then react.

Done well, you can have a profound effect on people's lives. Well, I suppose that done poorly, that is also true, but in the effect is inverted.

My best and worst days at work were all directly concerned with other people's successes or failures.

There's a reason I call it Adult Daycare. Especially in manufacturing.

Done well, you can have a profound effect on people's lives. Well, I suppose that done poorly, that is also true, but in the effect is inverted.

Babysitter/Arbitrator.

Also called a Sous Chef at a big union hotel.

Back