Kitchen utensil holder

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your wife is in to Le Creuset then I highly recommend one of these. Will be the cheapest Le Creuset in your collection and you can get them in most of the standard colors. We have had this one for 10+ years and it still looks like new.

PXL_20231111_123434359.jpg

We had large utensil holders of all manner for decades. We've had fancy stainless ones with a built-in lazy Susan to repurposed cookie jars and others in between.

I hated them all.

Round ones are an inefficient use of counter space and there's always just too much crap packed into them. Mashing everything in and lifting up this spoon and that spatula to fit the masher in just right and then you go to grab something and half the utensils come flying out without whatever you intended to get.

We now live in a house with a very small kitchen and a couple years back, the wife sort of relinquished "control" of it to me. One of the first actions was to toss that big ass utensil holder and purge a bunch of unused stuff. No, my wife was not pleased as myriad wooden utensils and holiday-themed rubber spatulas went into the Goodwill box along with the fancy holder. Not all went away. The lesser used but still desirable stuff went into a drawer.

But just the most commonly grabbed stuff stayed on the counter:
utensil holder.jpg

There's a couple things not in the bins in that picture but that is the majority of it.

She hated it almost as much as I hated the big ones. But that only lasted a short time and today she'll freely admit she likes it so much better.

Now, that probably doesn't help you at all. But then again, maybe it does. ;)

Last edited:
My cooking too often involves spattering grease, so having a holder anywhere near the stove is not an option. Fortunately, there are drawers nearby to use instead.

If I did have one, though, it would be exactly that Le Creuset. When I informed my wife that our toaster had given up after a good long run, and that I'd ordered another one, she had only one question: "is it Fire Engine Red?" It was.

We had large utensil holders of all manner for decades. We've had fancy stainless ones with a built-in lazy Susan to repurposed cookie jars and others in between.

I hated them all.

Round ones are an inefficient use of counter space and there's always just too much crap packed into them. Mashing everything in and lifting up this spoon and that spatula to fit the masher in just right and then you go to grab something and half the utensils come flying out without whatever you intended to get.

We now live in a house with a very small kitchen and a couple years back, the wife sort of relinquished "control" of it to me. One of the first actions was to toss that big ass utensil holder and purge a bunch of unused stuff. No, my wife was not pleased as myriad wooden utensils and holiday-themed rubber spatulas went into the Goodwill box along with the fancy holder. Not all went away. The lesser used but still desirable stuff went into a drawer.

But just the most commonly grabbed stuff stayed on the counter:
View attachment 281510

There's a couple things not in the bins in that picture but that is the majority of it.

She hated it almost as much as I hated the big ones. But that only lasted a short time and today she'll freely admit she likes it so much better.

Now, that probably doesn't help you at all. But then again, maybe it does. ;)
The issue of stuff snagging together mostly results from putting the wrong things together. Tongs are IMO the biggest offder. But if you sort stuff by type it's actually not a problem. In general sorting things in different pots is really a big improvement, it solves the problem of stuff tangling together, it's a lot tidier, etc.
I think one of those bottle / wine crates with an internal divider would probably work really well.

The issue of stuff snagging together mostly results from putting the wrong things together. Tongs are IMO the biggest offder. But if you sort stuff by type it's actually not a problem. In general sorting things in different pots is really a big improvement, it solves the problem of stuff tangling together, it's a lot tidier, etc.
I think one of those bottle / wine crates with an internal divider would probably work really well.

My tongs hang on the wall.

I just hang them on the rim (like the tweezers in the above pic).

I also like having a smaller bain or container to hold my most used cooking spoons. Metal ones work fine, but in a home kitchen, wood or ceramic is nicer. This is a turned black and white ebony pen cup I got on Etsy.

DSC05013.jpeg

And here’s a live edge ironwood one where I store my fancy chopsticks.

DSC05005.jpeg

Back