Kiwi Nakiri rehandle/ matching saya from a piece of cedar plank WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on you, always good to work with people you can see would make great cooks/chefs in the future.

So what's the next little project going to be?

No pin will be used for saya because it just somehow turned itself into a perfect friction saya! Woohoo

I dont know ive never done this before...i only cook man...i dont know how to do anything else :)

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384907790.426873.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384907857.044990.jpg

Ok enough of the fashion shots. This work isnt even completed yet! Ive been eating some new to me Hindi food and Taiwanese(store where I bought the Kiwi) food all day and it takes away my attention along with my kid...still to seal the blade, and to either put some crazy subtle black ink art on it or burn designs into it with my soldering gun or burn it and sand it down some and then clear coat it or what....??? pretty sure Im going to clear coat it but kind of digging the natural look and dont know if I want to use Ebony stain anymore.

Some tribal earthy designs burned into it....maybe a burnt in etching of a cedar tree or a cedar cone....

Bah humbug making pins without a little tube to put them into for pattern and uniformity and setting tangs for my first time sucked and im pretty unhappy right now. Also torched the wood sanded certain parts down and oiled/waxed it. I want it to scream mountain man.ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384923402.145705.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384929309.002790.jpgoImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1384929345.759037.jpg

Ok this project was embarrasing but i feel like I can make sayas for my knives now and that makes me happy. I messed up a lot and hurried things which should have went slow. I will never sell a knife without a saya in my life again. I will probably never make a handle for a knife ever again as well :D oh well.

inspired to try my hand now. Dug out a piece of Western red cedar to start and will try to put up a wip

Latest posts

Back