Kiyoshi Kato 240 Standard Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On its way to @KCMande...

I received the knife at the worst possible time while I was moving, so I barely used it. I had ambitions of comparing it to my Toyama and Jiro and writing up my experience, but that didn't happen. From my brief time with it, I can understand why it is highly regarded for its craftsmanship, sturdy build, profile/grind, etc. I thought it felt well balanced and pretty nimble for such a solid knife. However, I did not come away feeling that it was better performing than Toyama, Jiro, or other knives I use often... just different. Honestly, not sure I would pay >$1000, though I'd be happy to own one.

The one mark against it was that it felt a little thick behind the edge, leading to some resistance/wedging on carrots, for example... but maybe that is just from all the sharpening during the passaround? I did not attempt to sharpen, thin, touch up, polish or anything - leaving that to the experts.

On its way to @KCMande...

I received the knife at the worst possible time while I was moving, so I barely used it. I had ambitions of comparing it to my Toyama and Jiro and writing up my experience, but that didn't happen. From my brief time with it, I can understand why it is highly regarded for its craftsmanship, sturdy build, profile/grind, etc. I thought it felt well balanced and pretty nimble for such a solid knife. However, I did not come away feeling that it was better performing than Toyama, Jiro, or other knives I use often... just different. Honestly, not sure I would pay >$1000, though I'd be happy to own one.

The one mark against it was that it felt a little thick behind the edge, leading to some resistance/wedging on carrots, for example... but maybe that is just from all the sharpening during the passaround? I did not attempt to sharpen, thin, touch up, polish or anything - leaving that to the experts.

Worth noting that Greg, who had it before you, said it could probably use a thinning. Unfortunately he didn’t have the time. If somebody coming up wants to thin it, shoot me a PM first.

Hellooooo........is there anybody out there!.......😱
tenor.gif

Knife is currently in my possession, my turn is up, I have reached out to the next person in line multiple times via PM with no response. If I don't hear back from them soon I guess I should skip them in line and ship to the person in line after them? seems fair to everyone correct?

Knife is currently in my possession, my turn is up, I have reached out to the next person in line multiple times via PM with no response. If I don't hear back from them soon I guess I should skip them in line and ship to the person in line after them? seems fair to everyone correct?

Sounds good to me. We can circle back around to them at some point if they resurface.

Sorry for the lack of an update.
The knife is on the way to Nagakin. No response from @jimmy_d had to skip him. so keep him in mind if he pops back Up and wants to claim his turn.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try this thing out
Could have used a little love before I used it but didn't really have the time to put it to the stones, and I don't know if I trust my abilities enough to mess with someone else's property. It was an absolute pleasure to use, still cant wrap my head around the current market price for something like this. It's a great knife, but I can think of like 2 or 3 different knives I'd rather own multiples of for the price of just one of these.
I would love to own this knife at prices from about 5 or 6 years ago, but not at current going rates

Received yesterday and made lunch. Def could use some love from somebody else but it feels good so far.

Whoever ends up getting the Kato at the end of this passaround please contact me if you would like to sell it. I was very impressed with it. Sounds like the geometry might’ve thickened some since I used it. Am I the only person that noticed the cracks in the spine?

It sounds like it could use a thinning, but obviously I'm not in a position to judge. I'm planning on having it thinned, cleaned up, and sharpened at the end of this thing, but if folks think it needs attention now maybe I can arrange for it to make a stop somewhere.

It sounds like it could use a thinning, but obviously I'm not in a position to judge. I'm planning on having it thinned, cleaned up, and sharpened at the end of this thing, but if folks think it needs attention now maybe I can arrange for it to make a stop somewhere.
I can't see it really needing thinning yet, I bet it hasn't seen a full progression more than a couple times. I only stopped it when I had it. I think it just needs someone with the confidence to put a good edge on it at this point.

Still falls through food, I wouldn't call it thick bte by any means. More like a beaut just needing some tender loving care 🙂

I see them, but I can only feel one with my fingernail.

Good eye. I missed those.

I missed them as well until Craig pointed them out to me when he had the knife. Frankly, I've adopted a very laissez-faire attitude toward these types of little hairline cracks/delaminations,etc. I've got a few knives (of both Western and Japanese origin) with various weld/crack-like imperfections on the spine that you can catch on a fingernail and never had an ounce of trouble with them. Maybe at some point they'll suddenly break or pull themselves apart along the weld line but until that happens, I'm not too bothered by it.

Strangely the cracks don't show in the initial photos with the spine the Op posted. Cracks that large are hard to miss.

Back