Kiyoshi Kato 27cm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got the drill bits.

1005165h.jpg

1005159w.jpg

1005156a.jpg

1005155.jpg

Oh yeah, first D shape I made.

1005162.jpg

Tomorrow Kato is going to action again. Finally.
Yea, the handle is installed little upwards, just how I prefer.

so Michal , its super puper handle =) nice wood ferrule !

I can't believe that is the first D-shaped handle you've made; amazing!

I think the handle you made is a big improvement in the looks department (hopefully in the performance department as well).

yes sir, that is Shig.

Johnny, thanks a lot. I just looked at the old handle, sanded down those two bits of wood i glued together a little, checked again and sanded some more and so on. It took some time but I like D shape over octagon, so was worth the investment of time, imho. The balance improved now, with the heavier handle.

gentlecook, thanks :)

I put the handle from my 240 shigefusa gyuto onto my 270 kato, gyuto and the burnt chestnut from kato gyuto onto my kato suji. I think it is a better fit for both
D6F73223-CF91-4EEF-A7B9-2CDB3106F180-49483-00006540EB34129C_zpsd6c52453.jpg
[/IMG]

I put the handle from my 240 shigefusa gyuto onto my 270 kato, gyuto and the burnt chestnut from kato gyuto onto my kato suji. I think it is a better fit for both
D6F73223-CF91-4EEF-A7B9-2CDB3106F180-49483-00006540EB34129C_zpsd6c52453.jpg
[/IMG]
what are your impressions of the suji as a cutter?

The handle change on the sugi makes good sense . I picked up one of these as well and the stock handle is much too narrow for me.

I've not used it enough to really comment on the cutting performance.
The grind is very unique almost as though the maker has made a subtle single bevel shape. Its rough as in places and a little bent hopefully this does not increase over time.
I look forward to giving it a good workout .

OK I supposed to do update on this one, I was talking about it for a month but Christmas and stuff and no time.

I am still very happy with the blade, but theres one thing a new potential buyers need to know.

Thinning.
I just came to think of it after the PA thread, but it all comes together with clear sense.
This knife is one of the toughest knives to thin effectively. That is both because of the steel, hard cladding, but mostly the grind. This is no toy and to keep it work you have to thin to up to around 2-2.5-3 cm up. That is a lot of work, and time, and it pissess me off a little, cause I just polished mine to near mirror and I know soon comes thinning ruining all that.
So it is not for looking at, but when was it? :bigeek:

OK I supposed to do update on this one, I was talking about it for a month but Christmas and stuff and no time.

I am still very happy with the blade, but theres one thing a new potential buyers need to know.

Thinning.
I just came to think of it after the PA thread, but it all comes together with clear sense.
This knife is one of the toughest knives to thin effectively. That is both because of the steel, hard cladding, but mostly the grind. This is no toy and to keep it work you have to thin to up to around 2-2.5-3 cm up. That is a lot of work, and time, and it pissess me off a little, cause I just polished mine to near mirror and I know soon comes thinning ruining all that.
So it is not for looking at, but when was it? :bigeek:

sounds like it should be treated like a Heiji, to a certain extent.

sounds like it should be treated like a Heiji, to a certain extent.

In all seriousness, how is that any different that any other knife? Even a laser should be thinned to some extent as it's sharpened over time. I agree that the Heiji is a bit unique in that it already has a distinct hamaguri edge on each side, and {as I've come to find out the hard way} it's very important to follow that geometry.

In all seriousness, how is that any different that any other knife? Even a laser should be thinned to some extent as it's sharpened over time. I agree that the Heiji is a bit unique in that it already has a distinct hamaguri edge on each side, and {as I've come to find out the hard way} it's very important to follow that geometry.

the Kato is very thick through much of the blade, so it will need to be thinned higher up the blade each time than knives with a thinner section. this is similar to a Heiji, which is also quite thick through much of the blade, though the Heiji has a shinogi line, which does make it easier to follow the geometry.

the Kato is very thick through much of the blade, so it will need to be thinned higher up the blade each time than knives with a thinner section. this is similar to a Heiji, which is also quite thick through much of the blade, though the Heiji has a shinogi line, which does make it easier to follow the geometry.

makes sense - thanks

It seems that the Kato in the passaround may not be a good reflection of their cutting ability, but if it is, I'd say the Heiji and Kato are a little different. The Heiji could use some thinning, but I never really found it all that necessary, because it was still an awesome cutter. That passaround Kato, on the other hand, needed thinning to be a good cutter. Again, that might be because its grind was significantly modified, but we're not sure of that yet.

Its not about the kanji, its about the fact that they are carved by hand ;)

yes and no ;)

I polishd it but at work i use the hard side of the sponge [scourer but not metal] to wash the blade after every job. The deeper scratches are what is left after.

thinnig of gyuto is done?

whow up the pics! :detective:

Holla guys!

anyone has Kato suji ?
what you think about knife, not too thick for suji ?
and how much height at the heel ?

thx

thinnig of gyuto is done?

whow up the pics! :detective:

Have just bevel sizes, if you can figure it out from these pics:
[even though I have better camera now the photos suck just as much as they used to]

DSCN0292_zpsc9210648.jpg

DSCN0293_zpsd20f5c49.jpg

Ough and gor those who think I exagerate when describing a crushed heel, here ya go!

heel_zps47b5800e.jpg

Now whose fault was that?:O

Have just bevel sizes, if you can figure it out from these pics:
[even though I have better camera now the photos suck just as much as they used to]

DSCN0292_zpsc9210648.jpg

DSCN0293_zpsd20f5c49.jpg

Ough and gor those who think I exagerate when describing a crushed heel, here ya go!

heel_zps47b5800e.jpg

Now whose fault was that?:O
interesting wonder how did that happen

Back