KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@guari which Kanetsugu do you have? I've only seen a 180mm Pro-M gyuto but I remember the knife as overall being respectably thin, grind was good

I have the pro-j, nice knife, nothing extraordinary but I'm quite fond of it. Good price too.

Evening all

Koki never ceases to amaze. Put an order Friday night, UK time, and I got the delivery this morning!

Got delivery of jck's interpretation of Sukenari 240 ktip in aogami (or aogami super, can't recall).

Most gorgeous knife I've ever had.

Nice knife. Gorgeous handle. Ebony?

Just had to look it up. Ebony indeed.

Kind of bittersweet. I feel that I've reached what I wanted with my knife stock with this Ktip. I don't foresee any future purchases, but rather enjoy using them.

Should have seen the eyes I got from the wife when she saw the JCK box! Almost murderous!

Just had to look it up. Ebony indeed.

Kind of bittersweet. I feel that I've reached what I wanted with my knife stock with this Ktip. I don't foresee any future purchases, but rather enjoy using them.

Should have seen the eyes I got from the wife when she saw the JCK box! Almost murderous!

You let her see the box?

Oh dear....

;-)

You let her see the box?

Oh dear....

;-)

Yes, but then I explained how my cutting skills would be enhanced by having a very flat profile along the edge rather than a curved belly :hungry: :rofl2:

She somehow nodded and sighed.

Nodding and sighing.... Is this acceptance? you could be getting somewhere?

GLWEW (good luck with explaining to wife) ;-)

I've been binge buying raw Japanese selvedge denim. Shirts, pants, and jackets, mainly Momotaro. Almost as addictive as knives. Sounds strange, but it's hard to go back to normal denim jeans now.

Mucho, you forgot to count. Get in the game man.

Pics don't do the jeans as much justice as video does.

[video=youtube;Ek5520fSymY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5520fSymY[/video]

Most jeans are made of around 10-12oz denim, while Momotaro mainly uses 15.7 and 18oz denim. This means they are much thicker and more sturdy than your standard pair. This also means that when new, they are very stiff, almost cardboard like. They take a while to "break in", a process that some, including me, very much enjoy. Some brands like Iron Heart make jeans as thick as 25 oz. They are basically denim sweatpants at that point.

But the main things that separates Momotaro and other Japanese brands from your bog standard run-of-the-mill jeans are the factors of using thicker, higher quality raw materials, attention to details such as the filled belt loops and the hidden pocket rivets, and the sewing work being of a very high quality. It's just a pair of jeans made to a very high standard, nothing magical really.

Of course, Levi's still have some lines that are of higher quality than others, their vintage collection offering selvedge denim from Cone Mills, but in my opinion, if you are willing to pay that much for a pair of Levi's, just add 30 dollars or so and get a Japanese pair instead. Unless of course you want it to be "Made in USA" rather than "Made in Japan" for reasons personal.

But this is all raw denim I am talking about, not pre-worn or distressed. I prefer sanforized (technically not 100% raw, but close enough) to avoid potential fit issues post shrink.

Nodding and sighing.... Is this acceptance? you could be getting somewhere?

GLWEW (good luck with explaining to wife) ;-)

You guys need to learn the joys of purse shopping. There is no ill that can't be fixed with a new purse. Getting the matching wallet is bonus points.

You guys need to learn the joys of purse shopping. There is no ill that can't be fixed with a new purse. Getting the matching wallet is bonus points.

Ahhh, what a great idea! Although I don't know if I want to get that route. I would have to order my knives in batches. 1 batch of knives = 1 purse that seems fair :whistling:

I think I will try to accumulate rage points until he reaches MAX POINT and then dump a purse :IMOK:

It's not a purse it's a mans bag!!! :lol2:

So do you use the denim unloaded or with a compound?

And how ironic that denim loaded with REALLY coarse grits seems to be more of a ladies thing :)

I used to have a pair of Raleigh denim jeans. Got them last time I was in North Carolina visiting relatives. Good stuff.

Denim talk is fine, it is off topic after all. We gotta get to 1 million somehow.

Am I drawing the wrong conclusions, or is stropping on your tea-towel covered palm while drying the knife actually quite effective on low alloy steels?

Did we just go from 107 to 241, then from 244 to 108?

Like some sort of temporal shift

Nemo how the hell do you have nearly 900 posts in only three months?

Also, it's a well known fact that dave is not good with numbers and generally has trouble counting, especially since regularly perusing the knucklehead media thread.

Hey now. It's obvious from the cheap seats that if you want to make a million, you're going to have to count like our pollsters.:cool:

Latest posts

Back