KKF Giveaway to support Bill BUrke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow. I was offered 1400 for the shig in the first thread, I guess the other gifts would raise a lot as well.
So before two potheads started this, I could have raised more alone.

I have to ask public:

Knowing how little that was managed to raise, would it be wrong to sell the shig and raise twice the amount to Bill?

I know how passionate you are about this subject and I applaud you for wanting to do the right thing by Bill. I have repeatedly defended you and I don't even know you, but your repeated personal attacks on those people who have jumped in and also helped a fellow member in need doesn't make sense. There are a lot of members who donated to Bill out of the kindness of their own hearts even though it is a burden on themselves and their families, but they did it anyway. In case you haven't noticed this is not good economic times in this country. Quite a few members who donated have been out of work for awhile and they gave anyway. It was never about the knife. The knife was your idea. Nobody is trying to cheat anybody. Name calling and the accusations that you are making are very hurtful and petty. This was supposed to be a feel good, help a brother in need situation and it has been tainted and that is sad. With that said, If I win the Shigefusa I will gladly send it back to you, so that you can sell it and donate the money to Bill.
When I first joined this forum, I would read the posts that you and the other guys would write, I would hear the laughter and joking in your words and I thought this is a group of people I want to be a part of. How many chimpanzee, female,lesbians from Norway could there be in the world? Something has changed in the last few months and I don't like it. I maybe new here and I may not understand the dynamics of what went on before, but I thought you guys were a family, albeit a dysfunctional one, but still family. You guys are stuck with each other and it is time for you guys to put on your big boy pants and grow up. I'm disappointed in you, I thought you were the fun one. What happened?
Why so angry? I truly wish and hope that you find peace and understanding in yourself and that you can except that there are many factors beyond our control and that we tried our best even though you don't feel that we did.
May there always be a road.
Son

Kudos, good job guys on raising the money. Od, ryan, dave everyone, I am proud to be apart of this forum albiet a newcomer. Please don't tarnish this. Take it up in pm if necessary. Peace out.

+1

Oivind, your donation of the knife was a very good thing to have done but everything you've done since that point has been screwed up.

I've never been involved in this sort of thing where someone has threatened to take away a donation if enough money wasn't raised so I'm at a loss as to how to deal with you here. One thing I know for sure is that this is VERY sad and I feel bad for poor Bill for being stuck in the middle of this whole mess.
let it go, Dave. not worth trying to figure it out.

if olvind_dahl rescinds the Shigefusa, i'll send out the Mizuno i have on sale, in its place.

Oivind, as someone trained in the economic science, I do have some understanding for your argument. But even though you want to maximize the dollar amount, the other damage of this distraction is also costly.

I am with EdipisReks on this one, if you don't give the knife, I will contribute one of my knives instead.

k.

A few distractions aside, I am very impressed and proud for this forum for people stepping up to a plate and helping out a member in need.

It's unfortunate that things have gone off a tangent a bit but let's not repeat past mistakes and refrain from name calling. Sometimes emotions get the best of us.

It's has been a good experience overall.

M

wow. I was offered 1400 for the shig in the first thread, I guess the other gifts would raise a lot as well.
So before two potheads started this, I could have raised more alone.

I have to ask public:

Knowing how little that was managed to raise, would it be wrong to sell the shig and raise twice the amount to Bill?

Man o man sory guys I was tring to be funny and I guess it back fired once again. I was only kidding when I posted 1400. Right under that post I posted again

:eek2:

:D

I thought every one would get the joke, sorry did not mean to stere up the pot...well not this time at lest.

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
if olvind_dahl rescinds the Shigefusa, i'll send out the Mizuno i have on sale, in its place.

Oivind, as someone trained in the economic science, I do have some understanding for your argument. But even though you want to maximize the dollar amount, the other damage of this distraction is also costly.

I am with EdipisReks on this one, if you don't give the knife, I will contribute one of my knives instead.

k.

So will I

All these people wanting to donate their knives... if money is the issue lets get another give away going! therefore everyone will be happy and bill will get even more! give it a few weeks or so to let everyones pocket books refill though!

Ummm did everyone forget that this was not a raffle? Oivind, you gave the knife away to raise awareness for the donations. Raffling a knife is illegal here, and the knife was not a fundraiser prize. It was a giveaway on a donation page.

i'm hoping that the drama is over now, and olvind will keep his word when the time comes. that's the last i have to say about it.

Ummm did everyone forget that this was not a raffle? Oivind, you gave the knife away to raise awareness for the donations. Raffling a knife is illegal here, and the knife was not a fundraiser prize. It was a giveaway on a donation page.

You are pointing out an important issue about the nature of these fundraisers. Any giveaway to a fundraiser is complementary and must be given with no conditions. If the amount raised doesn't even cover the contribution, that is very sad, but is something the contributor will have to take into account the moment he or she decides to contribute.

That said, I truly believe that Øivind has the very best intentions in his efforts to raise the highest possible amount of money to help out a person I know he regards very very highly. I know Øivind and I know he does his utmost to protect everyone he cares for. He is a person getting engaged with his whole heart in everything he chooses to get involved in, and I know he has been anxious about the amount of help we were able to raise for Mr. Burke.

I know he has been frustrated during this process. I know, because I have been talking to him on a regular basis. Øyvind's challenge is that he is a very direct communicator. He has high expectations for himself and expects nothing less from everybody around him. This, in addition to the fact that he will probably never be the best student in class on any Diplomatic school, has made him express his thoughts and opinions in a way that can be easily misinterpreted and/ or not entirely suited for print.

As a close friend of Øyvinds I know that any message he has posted here has carried his very very best intentions of helping Mr. Burke out to the best of his good will and ability. I will not or cannot apologize on Øyvind's behalf for any one feeling offended by his statements - he is a man for his own words and I trust he will apologize where an apology is due - but I do ask you to see things from his perspective before taking him to the gallows.

Øyvind will keep his word and donate the knife. As I know him he is a man of his word. I will at the discretion of the receiver refurbish the blade to an "as new" state free of cost before shipping.

Hopefully we have all learned a valuable lesson from this endeavour, leading to the next one running like oil on grease.
Peace and Love! May your edges never dull and may the JNAT be with you always if they do.

DarKHOek

DarkHoek,

Oyvind is very lucky to have a guy like you going to bat for him. That was a thoughtful and informative post, and while I don't think it fully assuages all the acrimony Oyvind's earned himself lately, it's still a good start.

Cheers,

-Jack

DarkHoek,

Oyvind is very lucky to have a guy like you going to bat for him. That was a thoughtful and informative post, and while I don't think it fully assuages all the acrimony Oyvind's earned himself lately, it's still a good start.

Cheers,

-Jack

agreed.

I will at the discretion of the receiver refurbish the blade to an "as new" state free of cost before shipping.

DarKHOek

If I win... DON'T YOU DARE :p I'd like it just as is with what ever milage is has on it :) I just like em that way lol

I will naturally respect all you patina lovers out there. I am one myself :)

DarKHOeK

Im in, Donation made :)

Thanks but you used the wrong donate button. The one at the beginning of the thread is the one for Bill Burke. The button at the top of each page is for the forum itself.

I'll give Ryan the funds to give to Bill.

Back