KKF Massdrop II - Xerxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you Know how much a supermarket cashier makes in Switzerland you know that a Marco massdrop knife is for the crowd that also bids on digital images that sell for $69 million 🤣

The people that bought that file either regard $69 million as throw away money or are complete idiots (the two categories are not mutually exclusive). You would at least end up with nice knife in this transaction.

For the steel nerds out there (myself included) - here’s a note we received from the smith about the hand-forged process he will go-through to make each knife. Each knife will be made from hand in its entirety - from tip to handle.

As we have already shared, the knife is a "San-Mai" blade with a cutting edge made of 1.2562, an intermediate layer made of pure nickel and side layers made of 1.2767. We call it Go-mai, but the smith prefers to refer to it as San-Mai

From the smith:

//

The knife is a "San-Mai" blade with a cutting edge made of 1.2562, an intermediate layer made of pure nickel and side layers made of 1.2767.

The steels:
The core steel (1.2562) is a tool steel with a high tungsten content with the following composition: C = 1.45%, W = 3.0%, Cr = 0.3%, V = 0.2%. I'll temper the steel at 66hrc. The steel is characterized by a high hardness and very good wear resistance with good toughness at the same time.

The 1.2767 for the side layers is a tool steel with the following composition: C = 0.45%, Ni = 4.0%, Cr = 1.5%, Mo = 0.25%. The steel has a working hardness of approx. 55hrc. This makes it insensitive to scratches.

For heat treatment: I forge the core steel with an initial thickness of 60mm down to approx. 12mm within one heat. I do that at a forging start temperature of just 900 degrees. Then I pack the three-layer starting package. After fire welding at 970 degrees, I forge the approx. 50mm thick three-layer starting package within one heat to approx. 10mm. Again at a starting temperature of only 900 degrees. Then I forge the blank to its final shape. I warm the blank to a maximum of 820 degrees and cool it down to below 720 degrees after each forging. After forging, the blank is normalized by pendulum annealing and then soft annealed. This process produces very small and finely divided carbides and a very fine structure.

//

As you have read, 1.2562 has a very favorable composition, and more importantly, the smith knows how extract its full potential.
Now, I wonder just who that smith is…
🙊🙈

Definitely Xerxes! This matches the description of some of the knives on his website. Sounds like these will be absolutely amazing!!

This sounds really good. Same process as before when details are revealed people will sign up and you will pick 20?

so does this rule out newbie members to the forums. I vote ) no vested interest here of course) that you reserve at least 10 per cent of the quota for newbies to get that minority representation box ticked , 🤣🤣🤣

so does this rule out newbie members to the forums. I vote ) no vested interest here of course) that you reserve at least 10 per cent of the quota for newbies to get that minority representation box ticked , 🤣🤣🤣

no preference will be given either way, same as last time

+1 boatboy! we newbies need opportunities to have better understanding of what kind of massive black hole we got sucked into!

yes, my maths may be bad, but me + LAB, just coincidentally adds up to 10 per cent. Just kidding, good to hear that I still have a fighting chance of being in. Was about to put out an SOS for freelance computer bot programmers 🤣

Back