Knife block for 270 + knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
There never used to be a block available to take 270 gyutos, does anyone now make something that would house multiple large knives ? I have about 6 different knives of 270 and would love a block rather than keep thm in the saya in the drawer

James at knives and stones made some great blocks that would hold 270 knives and cleavers. He may have some or know where to obtain.

I take it you've ruled out a magnetic wall strip? Borkwood for one makes some rather nice looking ones

Yeah, not into magnetic strips, doesnt suit my kitchen layout

This looks interesting, you think they will be ok with 270 gyutos

If you don't mind part of the blade exposed near the handle, it should still hold 270 gyuto securely. The longest I have on mine is 10" and it's no problem.

Every time I see the title "270 + knives" I think Damn thats a lot of knives, not unreasonable but a lot.

Every time I see the title "270 + knives" I think Damn thats a lot of knives, not unreasonable but a lot.

:D:D

I just went and made one myself... now it is full so I am thinking I have to make another myself again

This is one I made very crudely a few years ago- it came out nicer than expected since I am not a wood worker.

It has 43 slots and holds a few large knives and honing rods, and a number of mid and small knives. The larger knives include 2 270's, a cleaver, and a large deba...

I angle cut oak boards on a friends table saw, split some shims with an axe, and glued it together with brackets and later the weight of the block itself holding it down. After initially making it, I added two more boards to create more slots to make the 43. It took a lot of sanding...

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

Nice job.

This is one I made very crudely a few years ago- it came out nicer than expected since I am not a wood worker.

It has 43 slots and holds a few large knives and honing rods, and a number of mid and small knives. The larger knives include 2 270's, a cleaver, and a large deba...

I angle cut oak boards on a friends table saw, split some shims with an axe, and glued it together with brackets and later the weight of the block itself holding it down. After initially making it, I added two more boards to create more slots to make the 43. It took a lot of sanding...

View attachment 34037

View attachment 34036
m

Thanks. I think most of us get to the point of having too many big knives and no knife blocks on the market with those types of slots.

This was pretty simple to make, boards and split shims glued together... half the work was measuring the knives and spacing out the slots.

I remember seeing years ago on one of these forums a special cleaver block for someone's collection.

I would think a wood maker could sell custom blocks for folks here..

I found one (Wustof branded) that has room for 270mm blades in the top slots. I then put taller feet on the block (just cut some dowel rod to about 3/4" long, and used as spacers between the block and the rubber footies).
Now it can hold 270mm knives in most of the slots ... they just poke through the bottom. I had to reposition a couple of the feet so they wouldn't be in the way of the slots.

It's slightly horsey, but it looks ok. In a different kitchen layout, I'd probably use a magnetic block instead.

Latest posts

Back