Knife block for multiple large knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
I have 6+ large gyutos, anyone know of a block to accomodate these ? Not a fan of magnetic blocks though

I had one made on etsy, those where quite inexpensive..

I don't have much space in my little apartment kitchen. I like the knife racks with slots that fit inside a drawer. I have a 14" carving knife that fits fine. If you have the counter space you could get a knife rack tower. They look like miniature versions of samurai sword racks. They will hold any size knife you want. They generally are available in 3 knife and 6 knife versions.

It probably won't fit 6, but the Ikea knifeblock (https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/10066670/) is actually surprisingly good for longer / Japanese knives. As in... better than 95% of the other stuff out there. For some reason they made that thing 27 cm tall... and as a result it will fit knives that are 27cm long (at least my Fujiwara 270 suji). It also has room for at least 3 rather tallish knives - with the 2 'medium' slots still being tall enough for sujis.
God knows why they made it so tall, as most consumer knives (or the ones they sell) don't really go far beyond 20 cm... but I'm not complaining. :)

Other than that... well... good luck. Almost anything with regular slots will be tailored to 'the usual home sets'. So at best 2 or 3 slots for large knives... and most slots for smaller ones. Even the slots for 'large' knives will rarely go far beyond 20 cm. Anything that does go beyond those constraints...tends to be magnetic. Or you have to go with one of those strawfilled bucket models... but most likely those won't be tall enough either.

Have a look on IG for Piotrthebear. He has magnetic oak standing knife blocks that can fit into a small space and will do for up to 270 and bigger blades. I know you not a fan of magnetic blocks but these are a bit different and worth a look

My main prep area is an island and there is just no good mounting spot and i just dont like the type that are freestanding, its just a preference

Ended up having one made, cost was a touch high at $165 but i now have a lovely walnut and maple block that holds 10 x 300 mm knives in a small footprint. The Etsy root is actually pretty simple and i would recommend

32681619fh.jpg

32681623zm.jpg

32681629cg.jpg

Cannot find the maker on etsy anymore, but have his addy. PM, if interested
Sorry for the mess btw..

32681619fh.jpg

32681623zm.jpg

32681629cg.jpg

Cannot find the maker on etsy anymore, but have his addy. PM, if interested
Sorry for the mess btw..

Excellent design. Plenty of airflow to assist drying and prevent moisture buildup. Deep slots prevent blades contacting each other.

I saw a similar design in the background on a kitchen counter in Jiro Dreams of Sushi. This one is actually better conceived.

Must work out how to make this for myself!

Cheers

J :)

Excellent design. Plenty of airflow to assist drying and prevent moisture buildup. Deep slots prevent blades contacting each other.

I saw a similar design in the background on a kitchen counter in Jiro Dreams of Sushi. This one is actually better conceived.

Must work out how to make this for myself!

Cheers

J :)

Agree this is an awesome design 👍👍.... now I gotta go watch Jiro again cause I missed that!
Time to fire the tablesaw up 😁

@Jovidah the IKEA block is a mixed bag with japanese knives ... the long slots are just too short to hold some nakiris and taller gyutos, and the shorter ones are just too thin for yanagis ...

Newest experiment: The "grilling plank" craze has supermarkets selling food safe wood planks in sometimes just the right sizes... stacked up a couple of 15x30cm ones with threaded rods and balsa spacers, will see how that holds up...

Otherwise, try the Kuhn Rikon "Vision" - if these are very sensitive edges, use the slots in the plastic "wave" in reverse; removing the small spacer frame under it gives you the few extra mm for nakiris.

This is the best one I have found. I don't know if it would meet all your requirements.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...orage-block/?pkey=cknives-blocks&isx=0.0.2600

I have this Wusthoff one which I was able to pick up cheap due to some damage in shipping. The only problem with this one is that I tend to gravitate toward knives with a little more belly and you may have to widen some of the slots out. There is a cleaver and large gyuto slot which will hold just about anything. But I have several Shig's and a Marko with the shig profile and had to widen out several slots to get them to fit. Not a big deal, but did add some extra labor. It is definitely a beautiful piece. The only other problem is that it is full now and I have to decide which ones go in the drawer or storage.

I'll give a "thumbs up" on this 35-slot Wusthoff block as well. It comes in cherry or beechwood. Nicely made piece. The top 11 knife slots will hold a 270. The top eight slots will hold my 310 Güde bread knife (don't have anything longer). I've let the number of slots dictate the extent of my addiction which has worked out pretty good ... so far.

Love my 35-slot Wusthoff block too. But definitely skip the "cherry" finish and get the beechwood.

Besides usually costing more (an extra $20 on Amazon right now), the "cherry" is just a cheap stain over the beech. It rubs off easily. The oft-used slots end up with a "halo" of bare beech. Maybe someday I'll get around to sanding it all off.

Back