Knife block set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With that budget, better have one decent carbon chef's. And a SP2k and SG4k to add to your SP1k. For storage, make your own cardboard edge guard.View attachment 303802
The SP2k and SG4k would be for the carbon steel right? And continue to finish the wusthof on the 1k?
What other knives would you get?
I've seen pretty much everything from 0,25% to 3% marketted as 'high carbon'. Since there'se no legal definition of what constitutes 'high carbon' manufacturers can use it for whatever they want, hence rendering the term meaningless.
So basically high carbon means stainless? Lol. Good to know. Thank you

My wusthof days high carbon also so I get confused. It is a great knife though.
Not exactly. It's built to withstand all kind of abuse. For marketing reasons and easy production they now come with finer straight edges than the steel takes or hold. Older ones had a far more conservative, man-made convex edge. The steel is very tough. All you can say about it in positive terms. The profile is made for tall people behind to low a board. They are far too expensive. Marketing isn't cheap.

So basically high carbon means stainless? Lol. Good to know. Thank you
NO! 'High carbon' means NOTHING AT ALL. It's just a useless marketing term that doesn't tell you anything.

Stainless at least means there is a chromium content above a certain minimum level (I can't remember the exact percentage, something like >12%?)... but there's no relationship with the amount of carbon present in the alloy.

As I said before, you have steels in all kinds of compositions, so the level of carbon tells you nothing about the level of chromium, and vice versa.

Not exactly. It's built to withstand all kind of abuse. For marketing reasons and easy production they now come with finer straight edges than the steel takes or hold. Older ones had a far more conservative, man-made convex edge. The steel is very tough. All you can say about it in positive terms. The profile is made for tall people behind to low a board. They are far too expensive. Marketing isn't cheap.
I have one if the older ones. It's served me great. This new carbon steel knife is way sharper though

From my understanding, Ramsay owns part of hexclad. That was a big reason I got it. I figured he must really like it if he bought some of the company. Either way, doesn't matter.
It's entirely possible he was simply 'paid in stock options' for his endorsement. So instead of getting paid in cash, they just paid him with part of the company.
Non-stick pans are generally a waste of money, regardless of who endorses it or owns the company.
For the knives, I kind of like the magnetic blocks but I hear they kind of suck. For breaking down chicken I usually use the wusthof or a cheap chef's knife I have. I don't have a boning knife yet. I'm just tired of sharpening the knife after breaking them down to get it's really sharp edge back
The simplest and cheapest 'decent'option is something like a Victorinox 6 inch boning knife. If you also do fish I like the Mora filleting knife as a cheap option.

I have one if the older ones. It's served me great. This new carbon steel knife is way sharper though
Any carbon will get sharper. Krupp's 4116 chromium carbides are wide of 3 to 4 micron. Some 4 times the width of a perfectly common apex. How can expect such a steel to deliver a sharp edge?

It's entirely possible he was simply 'paid in stock options' for his endorsement. So instead of getting paid in cash, they just paid him with part of the company.
Non-stick pans are generally a waste of money, regardless of who endorses it or owns the company.

The simplest and cheapest 'decent'option is something like a Victorinox 6 inch boning knife. If you also do fish I like the Mora filleting knife as a cheap option.
Does victorinox have good knives all around our just this one? If I'm ever looking for more.
But you gave it a straight 15 degree bevel IIRC.
Yeah plus the micro bevel but still, only because they now say 14 degrees or something. Until last month I was giving it like a 25 degree angle at the microbevel if not higher. I used to sharpen with way too much of an angle on all knives. Now I learned for 20 degrees 1/3 of the length from edge to spine is about how high the spine should be raised off the stone. 15 degrees is about 1/4 the height and 12 degrees is about 1/5
That has helped me quite a bit

Does victorinox have good knives all around our just this one? If I'm ever looking for more.

Yeah plus the micro bevel but still, only because they now say 14 degrees or something. Until last month I was giving it like a 25 degree angle at the microbevel if not higher. I used to sharpen with way too much of an angle on all knives. Now I learned for 20 degrees 1/3 of the length from edge to spine is about how high the spine should be raised off the stone. 15 degrees is about 1/4 the height and 12 degrees is about 1/5
That has helped me quite a bit
A convex edge would make more sense with these Wüsthof, and make deburring far easier.

It appears to be getting quite complicated here. Shun Sora's and Miyabi Koh's make perfectly pretty and great knives.

Just don't get a Cutco plz....

It appears to be getting quite complicated here. Shun Sora's and Miyabi Koh's make perfectly pretty and great knives.

Just don't get a Cutco plz....
Those are really nice, really expensive too

A set is mostly just so I have what I need in the kitchen. I cook a lot. Carbon steel because it's easier to sharpen and gets much shaper than stainless.
I'm realizing a set probably isn't the way to go but I don't have storage room to store single knives without the proper block
Couple of thoughts here. I cook every night, I think knife sets are a waste. I use a chef knife, sometimes a petty, almost never a bread knife. The other knives in the block are not needed in my opinion. I would also argue that AEB-L is as easy or easier to sharpen than most carbon steels and gets as sharp or sharper. Same for Ginsan. Personally not a fan of putting carbon steel in a knife block where it could rust without me knowing.
If $300.00 were my all in budget, I would make a magnetic knife block. Buy a +/- $200.00 chef knife, a +/- $60.00 petty and a bread knife from Goodwill. I started my knife journey with a Wustoff block set. The breadknife and steak knives are in a drawer and I dont know where the rest is.

Couple of thoughts here. I cook every night, I think knife sets are a waste. I use a chef knife, sometimes a petty, almost never a bread knife. The other knives in the block are not needed in my opinion. I would also argue that AEB-L is as easy or easier to sharpen than most carbon steels and gets as sharp or sharper. Same for Ginsan. Personally not a fan of putting carbon steel in a knife block where it could rust without me knowing.
If $300.00 were my all in budget, I would make a magnetic knife block. Buy a +/- $200.00 chef knife, a +/- $60.00 petty and a bread knife from Goodwill. I started my knife journey with a Wustoff block set. The breadknife and steak knives are in a drawer and I dont know where the rest is.
BTW I agree with this above 100%, but again @hibbs00 you seem set on a block set. Sometimes you gotta scratch an itch and try before realizing. Just how life is.

BTW I agree with this above 100%, but again @hibbs00 you seem set on a block set. Sometimes you gotta scratch an itch and try before realizing. Just how life is.
I'm willing to build on what I already have. I just think it looks weird having 7 different brands of knives displayed where a set just looks nicer. That's all

I'm willing to build on what I already have. I just think it looks weird having 7 different brands of knives displayed where a set just looks nicer. That's all
A whole set may be more aesthetically pleasing to some but you’ll get a lot more joy from purchasing a few quality knives like others have spoke about. Lots of knives in cabinets and on a magnet, but still regularly use the Amazon knife block which consists of Yoshikane 240/210/180, Takamura 210, fibrox chef/santoku, and steak knives. All are regularly used. When I visit friends/family members with a block there’s usually a set that consists of 1 usable chef knife and 7 other odd sizes/shapes that don’t get touched.

If aesthetics of the block are all you care about then I understand where you’re coming from, but a curated block is much more impressive. Please don’t fall for marketing.

IMG_2867.jpeg

Last edited:
From my understanding, Ramsay owns part of hexclad. That was a big reason I got it. I figured he must really like it if he bought some of the company. Either way, doesn't matter.
For the knives, I kind of like the magnetic blocks but I hear they kind of suck. For breaking down chicken I usually use the wusthof or a cheap chef's knife I have. I don't have a boning knife yet. I'm just tired of sharpening the knife after breaking them down to get it's really sharp edge back

Where have you heard that magnetic knife blocks "kind of suck"? Many of us have mag strips or mag blocks and they work fine. On what are you basing your opinion?

The problem with your request for recommendations is that you seem to be (a) highly influenced by celebrity chefs/TV shows/marketing, (b) more concerned with the visual appeal of a matched knife set with a tailor-made storage block, and (c) a desire for "high carbon" even though you don't seem to understand some of the basic issues that make some metals more suitable than others for particular uses. The problem is that the vast majority of members here don't really value (or even care about) those things, and the strong preference here is for purchasing individual knives that meet particular needs.

I was going to ask if the OP actually needs all of the overlapping knives that typically come with the block, but then thinking about it, many of us here have like a dozen similar spec'd gyutos sitting in a closet somewhere.

But in all seriousness, if budget is $300 for all (including the block itself), a set of many knives is probably not the most efficient use of funds as you will be compromising quality for quantity.

...So basically high carbon means stainless? Lol. Good to know. Thank you
No it doesn't. Most any quality knife is going to be "high carbon," it's the alloys added to the steel to keep it from rusting that makes it "stainless." Most people have no idea what high carbon means, they just see it and think it means higher quality because of the way it is used in marketing. If a knife has to be advertised as high carbon it is usually a cheap knife that they are trying to make sound like it's more than it is.

Last edited:
@hibbs00 that actually makes a lot of sense. I think we are all trying to share what we think is a better way to go but I can totally understand aesthesis. Wish I could be more help to you!!!

I never said I want a 30 piece set with all the features. I just wanted something that looks nice with everything I need so I don't have to shop around for 5 different knives. Not a massive set like most of you are thinking. You know what happens when you assume, right?

Anyways, I got it figured out I got all the help I needed. Thanks to those of you for all the help. It's much appreciated!

Victorinox is great performance and bang for the buck, but you can definitly get better performance if you're willing to spend more (on the right knife).
But they're great for filling out the niche roles like boning knives, filleting knives etc, and for when you just want something non-glamorous that just does the job, like a bread knife.
So usually when buying knives you try to figure out what your priorities are and put most of your money into what you use the most (usually your chef knife).

I never said I want a 30 piece set with all the features. I just wanted something that looks nice with everything I need so I don't have to shop around for 5 different knives. Not a massive set like most of you are thinking. You know what happens when you assume, right?
The problem is that even shopping around for 5 different knives is exactly what you should be doing.
That's just how you get the best bang for buck, and could actually get you a decently balanced collection within your budget.

And it's not just us saying that.... other big names like ATK have said similar things. If you care that much about the aesthethics, you can also consider a drawer storage solution.

Victorinox is great performance and bang for the buck, but you can definitly get better performance if you're willing to spend more (on the right knife).
But they're great for filling out the niche roles like boning knives, filleting knives etc, and for when you just want something non-glamorous that just does the job, like a bread knife.
So usually when buying knives you try to figure out what your priorities are and put most of your money into what you use the most (usually your chef knife).
You have been awesome and helped a ton. I appreciate it. I have it figured out now. Thank you my friend

Guess people were just trying to help you given your answer?

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/knife-block-set.70425/#post-1084678

Anyway, happy to hear you got something you're happy with

Back