Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised they put Chinese cleaver in the listing. On KJ ide San was very specific these were tall Nakiri.
Thickness and weight, unlisted at this site, might be a clue. I haven’t tried asking since I have no intentions of buying it, and don’t like to cause someone’s effort for no reason. His other works (at other vendors) seem to be light-middleweights. Also, I wonder if this is Ide San’s own site, since I see no other makers.

Thickness and weight, unlisted at this site, might be a clue. I haven’t tried asking since I have no intentions of buying it, and don’t like to cause someone’s effort for no reason. His other works (at other vendors) seem to be light-middleweights. Also, I wonder if this is Ide San’s own site, since I see no other makers.

If these are the same ones from December. They are the same general thickness as mine it was just dimensions being longer and a little taller. Mine is 155x 70, 3 mm spine and 220g.

Not, not a chuka bocho (chinese cleaver). The creator, Ide san, was at pains to stress that his tall nakiri is a nakiri, so it's not for thumping through duck necks.
Instead it's designed to impart the cutting feel of the nakiri's thin blade with additional weight for effortless slicing, dicing and chopping. The blade path might appear a little narrow but that's a trick of the eye - 70mm of blade height does that.

I actually wanted the shorter length with the height which is why I went with the 155 which doesn’t seem to be available anymore. So glad I grabbed the last one. It is a really nice blade and the size is perfect for small jobs and herbs and such.

Funny this... I don't much care for Kato's heat treatments (I've tried blue and the white) either. To each their own I suppose.

I've had better user experiences with Mazaki white 2 than TF Nashiji or Mabs, not to mention the true shirogami GOATs Nagahiro, Unshu Yukimitsu, and Genkai. I much prefer Takeda and Tanaka AS to Denka AS. All things are a matter of taste I suppose (FWIW I don't like Shig steel either), but I spend a lot of time using knives and a lot of time sharpening and am prepared to stand by my statements - bite me.
credibility down the drain with all these bad takes. mazaki white and Takeda as feel like sh1t. where as shig steel is the absolute best feeling one.

credibility down the drain with all these bad takes. mazaki white and Takeda as feel like sh1t. where as shig steel is the absolute best feeling one.
I don’t think I’ve ever felt a better steel on the stones than shig. Perhaps, some are close, maybe could be argued as good, but none I felt clearly better. To not atleast like the steel seems odd to me, but of course I everyone has their preferences and perspective.

Fun to sharpen, feels nice on stones, takes a wonderful edge - though I've tried others I like even more. I'd like it in a straight razor or even a single bevel used only for raw fish, but I don't think its good in a Western kitchen setting which is my primary barometer. I think Heiji's version is better for a gyuto than Shig's

Fun to sharpen, feels nice on stones, takes a wonderful edge - though I've tried others I like even more. I'd like it in a straight razor or even a single bevel used only for raw fish, but I don't think its good in a Western kitchen setting which is my primary barometer. I think Heiji's version is better for a gyuto than Shig's
shig retention is pathetic, but heiji heat treat lead to some chippiness which was why I moved on from both for gyuto.

Can anyone has those knives tell us how their AS fairs, please? Thanks

Last time I went looking for reviews of their product, there were some comments in regards to poor grinds. But that was a number of years ago (and the reviews were older at that point) and I have no idea how they have progressed.

Blenheim operates in a pretty unique space between the artisan stuff we see here and expensive factory made stuff (higher end Shun, Miyabi, etc). From my understanding, they're definitely not the one man shop type smithy we associate with Western makers here but not quite running at the scale and specialization of something like a large Sakai house.

Their target seems to be someone who wants something more interesting and "handmade" than a Williams Sonoma special but also isn't someone looking to pick up a new hobby. I've bought several as wedding gifts for close friends and have never found a meaningful defect on one. I've sharpened them and not had any complaints. Are they something that really tickles my fancy? Not so much, but I think for the price point they sit at and the target audience they're quite solid.

Last edited:
Blenheim operates in a pretty unique space between the artisan stuff we see here and expensive factory made stuff (higher end Shun, Miyabi, etc). From my understanding, they're definitely not the one man shop type smithy we associate with Western makers here but not quite running at the scale and specialization of something like a large Sakai house.

Their target seems to be someone who wants something more interesting and "handmade" than a Williams Sonoma special but also isn't someone looking to pick up a new hobby. I've bought several as wedding gifts for close friends and have never found a meaningful defect on one. I've sharpened them and not had any complaints. Are they something that really tickles my fancy? Not so much, but I think for the price point they sit at and the target audience they're quite solid.
Wondering why you chose those for wedding gifts among others?

Wondering why you chose those for wedding gifts among others?
Readily available, good balance of flash (Damascus clad) and enough rusticity to convey “handmade”, big enough to have some modest amount of brand recognition but small enough to feel boutique, good quality, nice balance of durability and performance.

Jonas will be posting these 2 tomorrow 10 Swedish time
C130 steel

IMG_4075.png
IMG_4076.png

Can anyone has those knives tell us how their AS fairs, please? Thanks

I can double check for you tomorrow, but I’m pretty sure those XL Nakiri are A2 core, not AS.

Whichever way, the short answer is - the steel itself performs pretty much exactly the same as any of the other [however many] fancy knives out there made from Takefu lam Aogami.

The grinds are usually very thin bte, with basically no bevel convexity.

(The above doesn’t necessarily apply to all of the BF special editions though. Which are made from a variety of different steels and claddings, with different forging and grinding styles depending on the steel and type of knife).

Last edited:
Back