Knife Japan: What's notable, worth buying, etc.?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my daily knife that Ide-san gave me a few years ago, it sharpens like a dream.
I can generally get has knives down to 30 BESS, with a micro bevel. He has said to me he just wants to make sharp knives for everyone, and he does this very well!
View attachment 310126View attachment 310127
How do you feel about his “tall Nakiri”. I assume its iron clad… I have a yoshimi kato stainless clad blue #2 that is 180mm and on the light side and have been wanting some more “rustic”. Does it feel effortless to cut through scallions and ginger? How does it do with root vegetables like sweet potatoes and butternut squash?

Last edited:
How do you feel about his “tall Nakiri”. I assume its iron clad… I have a yoshimi kato stainless clad blue #2 that is 180mm and on the light side and have been wanting some more “rustic”. Does it feel effortless to cut through scallions and ginger? How does it do with root vegetables like sweet potatoes and butternut squash?
The tall nakiri that I have seen from Yosimitu Kajiya were all a bit thick behind the edge for my liking, quite a convex edge.
I prefer Ide-san's normal nakiri (165,180mm), they are super thin and light.

I still think more people need to try Yosimitu Kajiya, (Junichi Ide). Rustic finish and each knife is different due to free forging, but I like his aesthetics.

A few of the shapes that Ide-san makes, deba(ryoba), nakiri(large, from the carrot harvest), Petty's, Bunka, Gyuto's, Sujihiki, camping knives with integral handles.View attachment 319029

I got to try a white 2 double bevel from Yosimitu kajiya and the steel is the most buttery and pleasant if anything I've ever sharpened (kanna, razor, etc). Not the absolute most hard or hair popping but my favorite to sharpen, and strops well, and is pretty sticky of an edge. Grind and forging is consistent and even. Highest recommendation from me.

If you find Sakai white 2 being a little too soft and squishy almost, then this is a little harder and glassier yet crisp. I'm not too sure how to describe it.. . .not glassy like teruyasu fujiwara. Distinctly hard but not super duper hard matrix that would make it glassy. So a harder matrix than Sakai white 2, but also as if it has more distinct and hard teeth? Idk. Very great bitey edge without feeling like it'll roll or bend. Or, compared to the hatsukokoro blue steel thick gyutos -- a little harder feeling actually.

PXL_20240515_054014982.jpg
PXL_20240515_054018480.jpg
PXL_20240515_053431518.jpg
PXL_20240515_053758763.jpg
PXL_20240515_054022308.jpg
PXL_20240515_054027544.jpg
PXL_20240515_054038866.jpg

Last edited:
I still think more people need to try Yosimitu Kajiya, (Junichi Ide). Rustic finish and each knife is different due to free forging, but I like his aesthetics.

A few of the shapes that Ide-san makes, deba(ryoba), nakiri(large, from the carrot harvest), Petty's, Bunka, Gyuto's, Sujihiki, camping knives with integral handles.View attachment 319029
How do his blue 2 and white 2 steels compare?

How do his blue 2 and white 2 steels compare?
I still need to grab a blue 2 off the shelf and take it home to use (I might do that now🤔)so i can't comment on how they compare. I've only Honbadzuke'd a couple of his blue 2 Gyuto, not super hard like a TF but they seemed to feel nice on the stones.

I think his aogami knives are a bit lighter and thinner than his Shirogami.

edit; pic attached

Left are Aogami (180ish 210ish)
Right are Shirogami (210ish)
IMG20240507102420.jpg

I still need to grab a blue 2 off the shelf and take it home to use (I might do that now🤔)so i can't comment on how they compare. I've only Honbadzuke'd a couple of his blue 2 Gyuto, not super hard like a TF but they seemed to feel nice on the stones.

I think his aogami knives are a bit lighter and thinner than his Shirogami.

edit; pic attached

Left are Aogami (180ish 210ish)
Right are Shirogami (210ish)
View attachment 321773

Back