Knife Recommendation : Suji's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe

Reaction score
Hello! I could use some help finding a Suji.

USA ,FL

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Suji or long petty. I would like it very thin/laser like.

Are you right or left handed?
Left, but prefer 50/50
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Shorter., and this has been my challenge. 210-240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$400.00

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing fish and sushi rolls.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Don't currently have a great knife for this purpose.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Just about all of them.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Thinner, especially for cutting sushi rolls. This is what i've had the most difficulty with so far. Hoping a suji is better suited.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No preference.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
No preference.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
No preference.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not concerned, I love sharpening!

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Teak
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

My challenge seems to be finding a thin laser in a shorter size with a WA handle. My cutting area is smaller but if need be I could be talked into a 270mm. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
My thinking is that with sujis, some of the differences are less significant than with gyutos. With a gyuto, there is more room for the grind to operate since it is a taller knife. In other words, performance groups closer together with different sujis than it does with different gyuto. So, you can get some good values. I have a Suisin stainless that I like. Ginga or Shibata should be good and thin (I haven't tried either as sujis so can't comment). Since these knives are very thin, asymmetry won't be significant--a thicker suji could be a bother to you since it may be more asymmetrical.

With length, I like 180 and then 270. For me, 210 and 240 suji are in no-man's land--not quite long enough to take advantage of the added real estate when slicing, but not quite short enough to be nimble.

One last point... the ones I recommend are in the ~$200-250 ballpark. With a budget of $400, this would leave you ~$150 left to ditch that teak board and pick up a nice maple from Boardsmith... just sayin... :cool:

Edit: Just checked the price on ginga and shibata--looks like I was way off there--they run in the ~$300 territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe
With a budget of $400, this would leave you ~$150 left to ditch that teak board and pick up a nice maple from Boardsmith... just sayin... :cool:
What....I've never heard of this boardsmith....You've got my attention!

I 2nd the ashi/ginga suggestions. I have the 210 mm stainless. Jki seems to have most variants sold out but carbon knife co still has plenty in stock.

Reactions: Toe
I appreciate all the helpful responses, I'm leaning towards the Ashi Ginga 240 or 270..

I really need to pick up an ashi suji one of these days. I think i’ll go western stainless 270 or 300.

If you stretch your budget a little bit then it seems Watanabe has one in stock with a Keyaki handle. These are definitely on the thin side, don’t know if they qualify as laser though.
http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/
scroll down a bit, it‘s right after the Gyutos, you will have to ask for pictures.

Ey shhhh don't point that out, I'm still saving.

Ey shhhh don't point that out, I'm still saving.
lcxyE0D.gif

Back