Knife storage: show me your rack/stand/block!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly can't remember what I've sold or to whom.

I'll try to post a pic from a image hosting site when I get home. That turned out tiny.

34jc0oo.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my word! A lot of racks. :D
I keep most of them under my bed in their boxes.
The more frequently used ones are in a mushroom crate wih edge guard or saya.
Tojiro DP gyuto is in a small knifebag that cmes with me to every work place i go to.

Did you consider up high? I have a very long mag bar mounted almost at ceiling level... easy for me to get at it, but my kid (and wife :biggrin:) cannot!

2014KnifeBarL.jpg

What you see in the bottom of the picture are the fridge and a set of closet doors.

Ok I thought that was the case... I just happened to see it in the photo he posted, never occurred to me that the picture might be old

Now only if that Masamoto honyaki Suji that he owned would show back up. That thing was crazy

Ok I thought that was the case... I just happened to see it in the photo he posted, never occurred to me that the picture might be old

Now only if that Masamoto honyaki Suji that he owned would show back up. That thing was crazy

The storage photo? I took that the day I posted it. I know there's a Masamoto in there but not sure if it's a KS or honyaki.
I miss that suji.

The storage photo? I took that the day I posted it. I know there's a Masamoto in there but not sure if it's a KS or honyaki.
I miss that suji.

Yes this photo 3rd handle from the back (sitting on another knife)

image.jpeg

Had to negotiate for new kitchen real estate for knives... Marko made this awesome vertical version, a bit complicate due to recessed backsplash and needed "slots" but does the job beautifully

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1501983281.178849.jpg
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1501983304.066145.jpg

I still haven't come up with a solution to my knife storage dilemma! Moved into a new place though and the options Re endless.

YrQbBsl.jpg

In my small kitchen I don't have a rack or block—just keep a two gyutos, two petty knives, breadknife, cleaver and boning knife in the drawer. The rest live in the bedroom flat files until they're called upon.

Two $10 ish bamboo blocks (threw the bamboo skewer filling away), unholy amounts of balsa, and can't-be-bothered-with-the-lighting

Yes, some of the handles need a sanding...

I'd also love to see how you guys are storing them. Last week there was a leak from my laundry room which spread to the kitchen. It was pretty bad and the wood in 2 of the drawers that I keep knives in are still damp.. I was considering magnets but I don't really have a good wall for them :( I'm able to leave a few at work but it isn't ideal. For now most of them are sitting in my guest/spare bedroom...

Q6sUs4i.jpg

Man that is a lot of steel. I'd recommend lightening the load a bit, happy to help you with your storage problem by taking a few of those off your hands if you need :biggrin:

Did you consider up high? I have a very long mag bar mounted almost at ceiling level... easy for me to get at it, but my kid (and wife :biggrin:) cannot!

2014KnifeBarL.jpg

What you see in the bottom of the picture are the fridge and a set of closet doors.

LOL, this would never work in California. When the big one hits, the "death by a thousand cuts" cliche would have an entirely new meaning.

LOL, this would never work in California. When the big one hits, the "death by a thousand cuts" cliche would have an entirely new meaning.

wow, that an awesome collection but I wouldnt want to go to the kitchen in case of a tremor or anything close to unexpected movement... yikes.... I have such a horrible collection, that im kinda embarassed....

@Hanmak17 this would make an interesting "catastrophe struck, even though he was well prepped" tombstone...

Back