Knifemaker Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpen before going forward with the final geometry. It sucks to sharpen after the blade is completely done and then you find that it wasn't as thin as you thought it was.

Sharpen before going forward with the final geometry. It sucks to sharpen after the blade is completely done and then you find that it wasn't as thin as you thought it was.

That's a good one Don , and sharpen with the angle that knife is going to be used not " if I go steep it will scratch "

I hope your finger is OK Dave

It's sore to the touch but OK when wrapped up good. The worst part was this morning when I went to change the bandage and found the gauze glued to the bone! I had to do a 1-2-3 rippppp :shocked3:

It's sore to the touch but OK when wrapped up good. The worst part was this morning when I went to change the bandage and found the gauze glued to the bone! I had to do a 1-2-3 rippppp :shocked3:

Ouch! :scared4:

Earlier today I saw the metal grinding sanding belts at home depot in the 36-80x range… i touched one and it felt sharp/abrasive AF, I could only imagine what it'd be like at speed with some torque to it.

Did you see a doc? Very high chance you'll need medical attention if bone is exposed.

My wife thought that it would be smart to go to the doctor but I stupider and nixxed that and went back to work. The thought of irrigation and debridement was enough to make me take my chances.

Earlier today I saw the metal grinding sanding belts at home depot in the 36-80x range… i touched one and it felt sharp/abrasive AF, I could only imagine what it'd be like at speed with some torque to it.

36x belts produce hanging meat :D

I've found that thin CA glue is the best for glueing up hardware. Last two knives made use of CA to glue the spacers, brass and mokume. Benifits are almost instant curing, superior heat resistance to all of the epoxies ive used, low viscosity means no glue gaps, and no clamping, just fingure pressure which also helps keep the joints tight as clamping force can be uneven some times.

Ouch! :scared4:

had a nasty accident that scraped off a chuck of flesh on the palm near thumb... to remove the gauze every morning.. i wld soak the palm in warm water till it soften up and then remove it. During the day..scabs is the healing process and cracks up adn thus bleeds again when i use my hand. To prevent that i applied tea tree oil ( keeps scab pliant and also anti bacteria)...

shld recover nicely...

rgds z

had a nasty accident that scraped off a chuck of flesh on the palm near thumb... to remove the gauze every morning.. i wld soak the palm in warm water till it soften up and then remove it. During the day..scabs is the healing process and cracks up adn thus bleeds again when i use my hand. To prevent that i applied tea tree oil ( keeps scab pliant and also anti bacteria)...

shld recover nicely...

rgds z

Is that recent? if so get better z.
My worst experience with gauze was when I burned my right forearm with an iron, those removal sessions were hell. Close second when I lost a fingernail (smashed in pieces) in a bike accident. :scared4:
Carlos

Decide if knifemaking is a hobby or business. If a hobby, buy what all the other kids have, shop only at knife makers stores, use the steel all the big kids use, and send out all heat treatment.
If a business, expect to maybe break even. do cost analysis and time/motion studies like a real manufacturer would do. look at the +/- of single piece vs. batch. decide if you are going to do your own heat treat. SHOP and experiment.

Sorry, I meant to say my burn was with an ironing machine not an iron lol. that sure was confusing. It still got the whole interior half of my forearm as I fell over it with my weight behind. Nicely seared meat.

The best advice I could give today (for someone starting out) is to become popular. Before buying a nice grinder or forge or any of that stuff get yourself a good camera and as many social media accounts as possible and post like your life depends on it...because it does. Forget being a good knifemaker, that can come later, being popular is far more important on the path to success.....well, these days. o_O

Looking cute can help a little too. And then put some pics of yourself on your website for heaven's sake! :D
TEST_CHELSEA_0027_x_1.jpg

If it’s shiny and you think you might need it, get it!
In all seriousness though, don’t do this! Be selective about the equipment you purchase to make your knives. Otherwise you’ll end up with a shop full of stuff you don’t use and a lot of capital where it isn’t working for you.
This isn’t advice I subscribe too because I love tools and collect them in excess... but my shop is cluttered with them as a result. Don’t be me.

I have never sold a knife, but I have made a few. The best advice I got when starting out was "don't buy any new machines until you have made a few knives with hand tools."

That process taught me a lot, but most important was my level of confidence and commitment before buying a $5000 knife grinder. In the end, I found a nice little hobby, but I'm not a knifemaker.

Learn to grind well on ribboned contact wheel. It allows insane speed upgrade and precision while grinding very cool.

Back