Knot Handcrafted 235 Laser Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Jacobs

Reaction score
I dont post many reviews here but felt I should share this one. I grabbed this knife on a whim from this forum, honestly based mostly on pricing. I was looking for a laser and decided to give this one a shot. Honestly I am pretty blown away, it reminds me of how I felt when I picked up and @eddworks back in the summer. My expectations weren't too high but I was seriously impressed. In fact I probably shouldn't share or his pricing may go up :).
Fit and Finish on this knife are fantastic, its an extreme laser and yet everything is rounded and polished. Spine, choil are amazing but even the forge marks in the blade seemed to have been polished. The handle fit up is fantastic, there are no warps or twists in anyway.
Performance is where I am most impressed though. This blade has some actual convexity and food release which I do not associate with a laser.
I dont really love lasers due to the knife not really having much weight so I often feel like I have to work harder than when using a larger blade. When you pair that with stiction they arent always fun to use. This one is still light and you have to put slightly more force than a midweight but as food doesn't stick it feels really good. I big Cauliflower I cut last night felt like nothing to cut through and this blade is extremely nimble in use. Out of box edge was good, and like a good 52100 it is very slow to patina and retention is good. I have only cooked a couple of meals so far and I dont normally love lasers but this is a fantastic knife. I would/will not hesitate to buy from @Knot Handcrafted. Lastly he was great to work with when messaging on Instagram. For me having good communication with a maker is extremely important.
Laser gyuto in 52100 at 62HRC. Stabilised curly maple handle, ironwood & G10 spacer. Convex bevels at 500 grit, rounded and polished spine and choil.

Cutting edge - 235mm
Height - 50mm
Overall length - 382mm
Handle - 133mm
Spine - 2.35 at the handle, midway 2.05mm, 0.7mm at 10mm from the tip.
Edge - 0.15mm at 1mm, 0.45mm at 5mm, 0.82 at 10mm
Weight 169g
POB - at the makers mark ( approximately 32mm from the handle)
PXL_20240307_031504784.jpg
PXL_20240307_031511876.jpg
PXL_20240307_031519994.jpg
PXL_20240307_031525811.jpg
PXL_20240307_031531351.jpg
PXL_20240307_031550993.jpg
PXL_20240311_012557862.jpg

Great write up. Usually not a fan of lasers either, for the exact reasons you mentioned, but this one sounds pleasing.
If those handles feel as nice as they look like, then at his current price point its a no brainer.

Also love your pictures, especially the last one.

I dont post many reviews here but felt I should share this one. I grabbed this knife on a whim from this forum, honestly based mostly on pricing. I was looking for a laser and decided to give this one a shot. Honestly I am pretty blown away, it reminds me of how I felt when I picked up and @eddworks back in the summer. My expectations weren't too high but I was seriously impressed. In fact I probably shouldn't share or his pricing may go up :).
Fit and Finish on this knife are fantastic, its an extreme laser and yet everything is rounded and polished. Spine, choil are amazing but even the forge marks in the blade seemed to have been polished. The handle fit up is fantastic, there are no warps or twists in anyway.
Performance is where I am most impressed though. This blade has some actual convexity and food release which I do not associate with a laser.
I dont really love lasers due to the knife not really having much weight so I often feel like I have to work harder than when using a larger blade. When you pair that with stiction they arent always fun to use. This one is still light and you have to put slightly more force than a midweight but as food doesn't stick it feels really good. I big Cauliflower I cut last night felt like nothing to cut through and this blade is extremely nimble in use. Out of box edge was good, and like a good 52100 it is very slow to patina and retention is good. I have only cooked a couple of meals so far and I dont normally love lasers but this is a fantastic knife. I would/will not hesitate to buy from @Knot Handcrafted. Lastly he was great to work with when messaging on Instagram. For me having good communication with a maker is extremely important.
Laser gyuto in 52100 at 62HRC. Stabilised curly maple handle, ironwood & G10 spacer. Convex bevels at 500 grit, rounded and polished spine and choil.

Cutting edge - 235mm
Height - 50mm
Overall length - 382mm
Handle - 133mm
Spine - 2.35 at the handle, midway 2.05mm, 0.7mm at 10mm from the tip.
Edge - 0.15mm at 1mm, 0.45mm at 5mm, 0.82 at 10mm
Weight 169g
POB - at the makers mark ( approximately 32mm from the handle)View attachment 307253View attachment 307254View attachment 307255View attachment 307256View attachment 307257View attachment 307258View attachment 307259
Thanks for taking time to write the review. I am really pleased to hear that the gyuto is performing well. I was working on the laser geometry for some time, as you mentioned, convex grind is not easy feature on such thin blade. It's good to know that I am moving in the right direction.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback.

Michael

Back