Kramer Custom Ready Made Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am obviously mistaken but for some reason I was thinking his straight carbon was closer to 150.00/inch.

I just want to say that my "Salty version" Kramer is/was the best performing knife I have ever owned/used period........It's not just hype.I almost wished I did not sell it:sad0:

...In a forum full of 240mm gyutos, it seems like the Kramer Zwilling would be a breath of fresh air. Overall the knife is thin. The tip is very thin, which is the ideal of some members. The bull nose works surprisingly well on onions, better then the gyutos I've used. Past the nose, the rest of the knife is flat. Another forum ideal. The steel is easy to sharpen...
I haven't taken the time to check out the Zwilling version but I have tried out the Shuns which feel heavy, a bit awkward and unresponsive. It looks different, but I wouldn't say it was a breath of fresh air. Maybe the Zwillings are different.

After handling the 8 inch Shun and Zwilling briefly at SLT in Sarasota (they didn't have the 10 inchers) It sure appeared to me that the Zwilling knife was a considerable improvement over the Shun just in the way that it felt even to a kitchen knife dummy like me.
I haven't taken the time to check out the Zwilling version but I have tried out the Shuns which feel heavy, a bit awkward and unresponsive. It looks different, but I wouldn't say it was a breath of fresh air. Maybe the Zwillings are different.

The forums response to Kramer, has always struck me as odd. Early on the forums didn't know what to make of his knives. With their price being double of a gyuto, and the odd profile. By the time the forums, figured out that Kramer's were special the prices had gone up dramatically.

All of us, have been astounded at some of the prices that have been paid for Kramer knives. The argument usually is, there is no way that a knife is worth $5000 to $10,000, and as a knife, I agree. But at these prices, what is being bought is the work of a master craftsman or artist.

I saw a piece on a furniture maker, who was using sculpting techniques to make dressers. At the end of the piece it was mentioned that the dressers started at $10,000, and he had a waiting list. Was it worth $10,000 as a dresser? No. As a piece of fine furniture? The maker had a lot of people who were saying yes with their wallets.

Many times, its been commented, that we are knife nuts, who expect our knives to perform at high levels, and want the best. And the best is defined as a thin 240mm gyuto, with convex edges. When a knife has a different profile, then the 240mm gyuto, the forum doesn't seem to know, what to make of it.

In a forum full of 240mm gyutos, it seems like the Kramer Zwilling would be a breath of fresh air. Overall the knife is thin. The tip is very thin, which is the ideal of some members. The bull nose works surprisingly well on onions, better then the gyutos I've used. Past the nose, the rest of the knife is flat. Another forum ideal. The steel is easy to sharpen.

Mr. Chance has mentioned that the Kramer Zwilling doesn't hold its edge, as long as other knives. Considering how easy it is to sharpen, it appears to be a good trade off. Flat edges, while nice for chopping, are not so good for walking a knife through food.

All in all, the Kramer Zwilling is a knife that is worth consideration by a knife nut.

Jay

Jay, always a breath of fresh air!

Back