Lamson Collaboration: Next Step

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'd be happy to hear from testers, it seems like their charge is to give feedback to help Lefty and Pierre make the knife even better (rather than provide the eager masses with updates). I'll wait patiently and respect their process of offering a great knife at a great value.

Todd, that means a lot. We're trying to keep this process as honest and unbiased as possible, in regards to the testers' comments. Unfortunately, we've had to keep everyone a bit in the dark in order to not affect our testers opinions. For example, if Rick were to post, "I really like the aogami super, but the cladding is more reactive than I expected it to be". The guys after him would inevitably focus their thoughts on the cladding, while subconsciously accepting that the core steel was performing well enough to almost ignore it all together. One thing I would love to see more of is pictures from our "panel" of the knife in use, and even a video should anyone be interested.

I will say, however, that we've had many positive comments, and any negatives have been both consistent (for the most part) and a very good solution as been decided upon by Pierre and myself.

Again, thanks for all of the interest and support with this project.

I hope the testers are being brutal in their appraisal of the knife. That wil only serve to make it better.

We've had a couple brutal ones.... Haha. But, as you said, it's going to make this knife even better. Even the brutally honest comments have been matters of taste, or something that we immediately agreed with. Again, the overall feeling has been very promising.

Excellent, thanks for that update. I understand this is a long process, and wasn't expecting a boatload of information, but its always nice to get a snapshot of the process and see where it currently stands. Cheers

20131009_141837_zpse4ca93e3.jpg

20131009_141856_zpsa20e6637.jpg

20131009_142132_zps241063f5.jpg

20131009_141825_zpsf249fdcd.jpg

20131009_142115_zpsc9176a07.jpg

20131009_143621_zps1154b7d0.jpg

20131009_143713_zpsdbcc9b42.jpg

I took the liberty to compare it to Rodrigue Mid tech knife solely for a bit of contrast. In the pic above, the mid tech is on the left. Those who have seen the mid tech know that this knife is like tin foil thin. The project knife, though obviously not as thin throughout, does offer an excellent distal taper.

And I'm also a big fan that Rodrigue is stamped INTO the blade, not painted on.
Also, hats off to Lefty for his saya! Solid work which I suspect he'll be soon be flooded with requests for once this knife hits "the shelves".

...In the pic above, the mid tech is on the left. Those who have seen the mid tech know that this knife is like tin foil thin. The project knife, though obviously not as thin throughout, does offer an excellent distal taper.

Did you mean in this pic the midtech is on the RIGHT? The midtech is the thinner of the two, on the right side, correct?

The blades are going to be 240mm, but we've actually been discussing a few things along the way, and there is still one tester to use it, review it and then give us some "back and forth".

As it stands right now, there are many great attributes with this knife, and a few that we will be tweaking. My goal really is to have this in the top tier of $200 production knives. I'm particular, and as a result sometimes things take a while to get done. These are important steps, and I appreciate everyone's patience. :)

The blades are going to be 240mm, but we've actually been discussing a few things along the way, and there is still one tester to use it, review it and then give us some "back and forth".

As it stands right now, there are many great attributes with this knife, and a few that we will be tweaking. My goal really is to have this in the top tier of $200 production knives. I'm particular, and as a result sometimes things take a while to get done. These are important steps, and I appreciate everyone's patience. :)

Did Pierre grind the distal tapers in those knives, if so good god man, he is a master?!

I really don't know why I asked that that way

I should of asked if it will stand up to the pro environment on a daily basis whats the geometry like what are the specs?

I really don't know why I asked that that way

I should of asked if it will stand up to the pro environment on a daily basis whats the geometry like what are the specs?

Tom spelled out the general specifications in this post: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...Line-of-Knives?p=185491&viewfull=1#post185491

It is intended to be used by a pro in a pro environment.

Based on my week of testing, the prototype has very good geometry, but is likely to be "tweaked" before actual production.

More details would have to come from Pierre or Tom.

Here we go, Just what Lefty was trying to NOT let happen. Folks, the knifes going to be bad-ass, give it a chance to go through its paces without expectation at this point. Just enjoy the ride and wait till the fat-lady sings. No offense to fat ladies ;-)

Here we go, Just what Lefty was trying to NOT let happen. Folks, the knifes going to be bad-ass, give it a chance to go through its paces without expectation at this point. Just enjoy the ride and wait till the fat-lady sings. No offense to fat ladies ;-)

I was not trying to start a debate on how good its going to be obviously if Pierre and Lefty are making it it has to be good right ;)

I just want some feedback thats all and I am sure that is what Lefty wants/wanted no?

I was not trying to start a debate on how good its going to be obviously if Pierre and Lefty are making it it has to be good right ;)

I just want some feedback thats all and I am sure that is what Lefty wants/wanted no?

it was mentioned earlier on in this thread by Lefty that he did not want the testers to give public feedback until everyone was done, since he didn't want it to influence each subsequent tester. Each tester is giving their feedback directly to Lefty and Pierre and they will address each testers concerns therefore we shouldn't really worry about it.

Lol!! Thanks Rick, I still laugh when I think about that! I will step in, Tom can back me up. The testers have been blunt and honest. Some critiques were not an issue for others and vise versa, and there were some common points. The reviews will be touched on in public, and the corrections explained. We want to make this to please as many as possible, but will not be able to please all.

Sounds great Pierre, thanks also to Lefty and all the testers who took the time to break down their experiences with the knife

Back