Larrin graduates with distinction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's impressive. I don't think I have every heard of anyone who paid their way through college not having debt. Let alone saving some.

Congratulations to both of you....

What more can a father wish for?.. Somehow I feel that Successful children in their endeavours is a testament that parents go it right along the way.

Much respect for a student to graduate with savings as I read that student loans ( not paying back) problem is not a small number.

rgds

D

Oustanding Larrin. Let me know when you are at the point where your ready to take custom orders (being serious).

Any updates? It's amazing how much people can accomplish when they cut down on KKF posting, but I do miss his contributions...

Hi Guys! I was waiting to respond to this thread when I found out the result of my qualifying exam. The exam is a three day, comprehensive exam covering all of the fundamentals of Metallurgy. One 6 hour written exam on general Metallurgy, one 4 hour exam on one of three topics (I chose Phase Transformations and Kinetics), and one 2 hour oral exam on fundamentals related to my research. I was required to pass it as part of my PhD program. You are given two chances to pass the exam. If failed twice then the only option is a Masters degree. The exam is offered once a semester, and required several weeks to prepare for, so failing it once basically means an extra semester before completing the PhD.

Anyway, I found out only 15 minutes ago that I passed the qualifying exam. Preparing for it (and taking it) were very stressful for me and my family. I spent many sleepless nights worrying about the exam and it is a great relief to finally be done with it.

In other news of my graduate studies, I am done with all of the classes that I have to take. I have been doing research in the area of automotive sheet steel, specifically Dual-Phase steel. You can see a (very) brief summary statement on the topic of my research on my student page: http://aspprc.mines.edu/ASP-stu-lthomas Automotive steel is very important because of the upcoming governmental requirements on fuel economy, requiring lighter vehicles, so the development of high strength, low cost, easily formable steels is being investigated from many different angles. I'm researching the effect of heating rate on advanced automotive steels because higher heating rates can reduce the time and therefore the cost of production.

Next, I have my PhD proposal due within the next 6 months.

Excellent, congratulations, this is a big step - and I imagine a big relief. The whole dissertation thing should be easy from now on as long as you get yourself to just get it done. Always remember: Right now there is probably nobody who knows as much about this topic as you do after researching it for all this time.... Good luck,

Stefan

I was also waiting for Larrin to respond to the thread before I did.

I am a very proud dad indeed. I've watched the amount of work that has been going into this degree and the stress that goes along with it. This qualifying exam seems to be the apex of the PHD studies. You must pass this in order to get the degree, kind of like a bar exam.

Great job Larrin.

Hoss

Awesome! Congrats Larrin!
Even though the dissertation isn't applicable to kitchen knives, it does sound interesting and relevant to current times. I'd wish you luck but, it doesn't sound like you've relied on that much thus far.

Yep passing the phd quals is a big one. I remember when I passed mine the thought went through my head: wow I will never ever have to take an exam again for as long as I live. That was 38 years ago and indeed I have never taken another exam since then!

So Congrats again!

Larrin, thats an amazing story and one smart young man. Its also very interesting that your studdying metalurgy for the automotive industry. You know were all secretly hoping that you will develop another uber steel for Papa, so he can transform that into the sharp and shinny objects we love so much on this forum. Way to go man!

Cheers for the update, that's great news. Hope you didn't mind my resurrection of the thread.
Having the dedication to keep motivated for this length of time is an achievement in itself

Awesome Larrin! Congrats! Sounds like a huge amount of work but so worth it. That test seems so daunting.

This such exciting news! Congratulations to Larrin but also to the many who helped and supported him to make this goal attainable. Wow!

Congrats Larrin, keep up the great work! I love the fact that Devin has a metallurgist available to him lol, talk about a power team!

Back