Last chance to like Brussels sprouts recipe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Be open-minded. Give it another try.
Game-changer prep method for Brussels sprouts, if you want to give it one last go. Easy, but not fast.

-Cut sprouts in half vertically with favorite knife

-Notch out stem part with another favorite knife

-Separate each half into individual leaves

-Rinse leaves, spin in salad spinner. Pat dry, then leave between two towels to finish drying.(this step optional if you don’t mind unrinsed)

-Toss very lightly in olive oil, spread on a sheet pan, sprinkle salt & pepper

-Roast until several become crisp

The time difference between crisp and charred is small, especially if you use the broiler, as I sometimes do, on the 2nd shelf down to speed it up.

Sprinkle leaves over pasta which has your favorite olive-oil based sauce, or any appropriate dish. Works well with pasta with evoo, corn kernels (some roasted, some not), a little aleppo pepper and/or grated cheese.

I will not eat this🤮

Brussel Discord Emojis | Discord Emotes List

Unsubscribed

I’ll add, the same technique works great for the halved sprouts as well. Optionally add garlic powder or minced garlic, lemon juice, grated parm and finish with a dash of fish sauce. Properly cooked, sprouts are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and most people just never experience them.

cut sprouts in half, place cut side down in bowl or whatever with balsamic vinegar salt and pepper Let soak half hour or more,
Bake or broil until crispy, for an added touch throw some rosemary on them before cooking.

I served Brussels with a roast chicken last night.

Brussels split in half and outer leaves removed. Tossed with a small bit of red miso, honey, grainy mustard, super-reduced chicken stock, and veg oil. Roasted at high temp until just beginning to blacken. Finished with maldon salt.

Also served with potatoes roasted with beef tallow.

Devine.

Be open-minded. Give it another try.
I am open minded about this, as I hated green peas as a kid then I had petite peas and I cannot for the life of me figure why anyone would wait until they are old and mealy by choice. However Brussels sprouts taste foul to me, and have every time I've been forced to try them. The best I can say is that sometimes they taste less foul. I think there would have to be some pickling magic, cf. olives, to rid them of that nasty taste, as I don't see cooking alone doing it.

What I found in my later years is that my mom was a terrible cook. Things I hated just weren't prepared well. I HATED brussel sprouts and so did my better half. We went to the store and bought some, cut them in in half and I can't remember what all went on them but I know honey was involved, a while lot of umami and they went into the oven till lightly charred. They were sooooo good, the kids loved them as well. I know I like cabbage as I loved some stuffed cabbage that russian friends made but my childhood changed me on the Brussels. Now I am trying a lot more things again my childhood ruined for me.

I'm happy to say my mom was a good cook, so I just blame the brussels sprouts ;-)
I wish I could say the same thing. My mom was never around so I grew up cooking a lot of the time from boxes of cheeseburger macaroni and so on for my brothers when she did cook it was usually the same thing and a lot of pre packaged things.

Good thing when I moved out and was broke I taught myself through Internet how to use ingredients to create delicious things. My better half is also a good cook.

iI am open minded about this, as I hated green peas as a kid then I had petite peas and I cannot for the life of me figure why anyone would wait until they are old and mealy by choice. However Brussels sprouts taste foul to me, and have every time I've been forced to try them.
When I was young, I had a distinct dislike for brassicas. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, turnip, kohlrabi; they all taste bitter and, for a young person, taste buds are a lot more sensitive to those notes. Once I turned 30 or so, I suddenly found myself enjoying those vegetables, presumably because my taste buds weren't as sensitive by then, and probably because I had turned into a much less fussy eater.

Back