Length of "Workhorse" Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like big knives and big cutting boards, so at least 240 for me, but I prefer 270s for most things.

So far, I am really enjoying this knife (Kato 210 gyuto). It cuts very well, and has been fun to use. I haven't done a lot with it, but so far it's been great. It's not a particularly tall knife, so it does have some heft, and is probably more blade heavy than anything else I have. I can only imagine that the longer and heavier 240 (by ~90g/3.1 ounces, roughly 50%) is that much more powerful. Hopefully I'll get to try that one out some day.
It did very well on the first cut through a gigantic Fuji apple. Sometimes I find that first cut needs more pressure when I'm using my other knives.
The blade on this is about 215mm straight from heel to tip--I'm glad it didn't run small. Looking forward to using it more.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
Weight is only part of the equation and needs to be considered alongside all the various aspects that make the knife what it is. All else equal, the idea that weight allows a blade to drop through produce and provide an excellent cutting action is ********. If you are cutting on a wood board, with a knife that gets very thin behind the edge, letting a heavy knife do all the work will result in board stick unless perfectly timed resistance is applied. I do own Katos (W#2 versions not Workhorse) and while the weight of the knives plays a roll, it is the holistic construct of the blade that makes it perform so fantastically.
That aside, the notion that Katos are "Workhorse" knives is simply crazy. Maybe Maksim knows a thing or two about knife making that Kato doesn't, but from what I've found, Kato's knives are aggressively treated, and while unique performers, should not be applied in the same way one might a Forschner or even a Hiromoto.

Where have you seen JNS Katos aggressively treated? If it really is the case, I think the problem lies with the change in the terminology of workhorse over the past few years not JNS or Kato. It's come to mean a thicker knife that can stand up to some abuse; iirc, it used to designate a reliable knife with good cutting performance. If it really is the case that people are buying the JNS workhorse knives with the expectation that they would stand up to abuse, perhaps a name change would be appropriate.

Chip, I remember the thread in which Mark had said something similar (but less provocative) about the difference between the two lines. It was something along the lines of "I trust the smith since he's been doing this for 40 years so I kept his original profile, blade height and grind". I think it's funny, however, that the Kato damascus listed at CKTG more resembles the workhorse than it does CKTG's Kato.

Anyways, congrats on the purchase; let us know how you like it

I did cover it before many times
I really don't sell that many knives :p no Forschners or even Hiromotos, My main is Shigefusa and Kato
Shigefusa is a buiety and Kato is a workhorse it is a name :p I reach my self most for Kato and i don't mind to abuse it compared to Shigefusa, thats what name coming from.

For the Workhorse line i also explain it before it is not my design, it is simply upgrade i asked for best of the best he could offer with kasumi with more care for detail better heat tread steel etc.. And i pay more for it then his standard lines. !!

Where have you seen JNS Katos aggressively treated? If it really is the case, I think the problem lies with the change in the terminology of workhorse over the past few years not JNS or Kato. It's come to mean a thicker knife that can stand up to some abuse; iirc, it used to designate a reliable knife with good cutting performance. If it really is the case that people are buying the JNS workhorse knives with the expectation that they would stand up to abuse, perhaps a name change would be appropriate.

Rather than a name change for Maksim's knives, let's return to using the term "workhorse" as correctly defined, and not to mean a "beater".

A workhorse for me is 250-260 on the edge. Needs to hold a serviceable edge for a long time. Food release needs to be excellent. Weight distribution needs to naturally lead the cut to a sweet spot of the profile. Has to be comfortable in multiple grips without sharp angles at pressure points.

I recently used a gyuto that is very comfortable under light work loads to dice 25# of pancetta. The knife I was using stood up to the cutting great but I needed to switch knives afterwards because the ferrule was tearing up the callouses on my hand.

It is like choosing shoes to work on your feet all day on concrete floors.

Back