lets have a new razor thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But did I remember to tape the edge before trying to wrap the handle, so that if I slipped I wouldn't slice the top part of my thumb off and splatter the walls with blood...?

DID I F**K!

View attachment 256506
Worst I ever cut myself on a razor was pulling a string tight when wrapping a kamisori handle. Like you I didn't bother to tape the edge.

Old razor on the freshly lapped Ark. Already bit myself cutting a couple test whiskers. S.h.a.r.p.
IMG_5273.jpeg

Can't find out anything concrete about this one. Anyone have some information?

Manufactured
For The United States
By E. L. & Co

It's a big 8/8's near wedge. Dwarfs my other Sheffield razors.

Ask and you shall receive

Warning:
Facebook link, I included a screenshot in case that isn't your jam.

Screenshot_20230902-182928.png

Ask and you shall receive

Warning:
Facebook link, I included a screenshot in case that isn't your jam.

View attachment 266628

Good sleuthing.
The "made for the United States" thing makes me think military and if the date of 1840's correct perhaps from the Mexican American war, maybe even the navy being found in Oregon.
I don't know a thing just speculating....

So she ordered a box of these Jifonli Cut razor blades for eyebrow trimming, disposable at $10 per 100.

But OOTB there were micro-cuts: I think “blood dew” is the term?

IMG_9449.jpeg

HHT 3 out of the box but a bit scratchy. I stropped on 0.5 micron diamond at a high angle (16dps?) to a bit of a foil burr that still treetopped.

Anyone come across this brand? Any advice? The product video shows it being held in-hand.

https://shopee.sg/💥Free-Shipping💥10...haping-Shaver-eyebrow-i.521145827.22608737576

Last edited:
Found a Wade and Butcher 7 day set at an antique store. Sunday through Thursday are included. Friday and Saturday are missing. I happened to have a matching Wade and Butcher Special sans the engraving. And I threw a placeholder in there for now that matches the others pretty well until I can score another one on eBay. Tuesday has a big chip and there is some chips and warps on some of the scales. But overall in pretty good shape. I found an ad on ebay for the exact item from 1899. Pretty neat.

1698271254717.png

1698271321648.png

1698271365588.png

1698271391572.png

1698271411417.png

1698271469117.png

1698271489014.png

Attachments

• 1698271428888.png
    1698271428888.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
So this is a hand forged Mt.Fuji Teuchi razor. Been trying to find out more about it and found some info. manufactured by a master craftsman during the Showa era at the request of the Tokyo Federation of Barbers Cooperative Association using iron sand from Unshu as raw material (according to a magazine catalog at the time).

So it appears they had more than one master craftman and could have been some famous makers. There are no makers marks though just the Mt.Fuji and Teuchi. The info on the iron sand from Unshu makes me think this maybe Tamahagane now.

fuji2.jpeg
fuji3.jpeg
FujiOkudo.jpeg

Found a Wade and Butcher 7 day set at an antique store. Sunday through Thursday are included. Friday and Saturday are missing. I happened to have a matching Wade and Butcher Special sans the engraving. And I threw a placeholder in there for now that matches the others pretty well until I can score another one on eBay. Tuesday has a big chip and there is some chips and warps on some of the scales. But overall in pretty good shape. I found an ad on ebay for the exact item from 1899. Pretty neat.

View attachment 277945

View attachment 277946

View attachment 277948

View attachment 277949
View attachment 277950

View attachment 277952

View attachment 277953
Amazing find mate. Those look lovely.

So this is a hand forged Mt.Fuji Teuchi razor. Been trying to find out more about it and found some info. manufactured by a master craftsman during the Showa era at the request of the Tokyo Federation of Barbers Cooperative Association using iron sand from Unshu as raw material (according to a magazine catalog at the time).

So it appears they had more than one master craftman and could have been some famous makers. There are no makers marks though just the Mt.Fuji and Teuchi. The info on the iron sand from Unshu makes me think this maybe Tamahagane now.

View attachment 278049View attachment 278050View attachment 278051
Tom, razor looks amazing. I have one Fuji but I don’t think mine is hand forged since it doesn’t have the raw tang. Now I have to look for one of these…
I have to say I love that tomo you have there. The colour is amazing!

Nice, I used my electric razor this morning. 😆

View attachment 278441
Looking great mate! I love those razors without a stabiliser.
I’ve heard many a good things about that soap but never had the opportunity to use it… I have to use up some of my stash before I’m able to get more soap… Hopefully something in the next 5-10 years…😅

Tom, razor looks amazing. I have one Fuji but I don’t think mine is hand forged since it doesn’t have the raw tang. Now I have to look for one of these…
I have to say I love that tomo you have there. The colour is amazing!
Thanks Sam. Yeah The Mt.Fuji is one of my best shavers. I have to say it is very similar to my Tamahagane old Orihi kamasori and the old dip toe and stub tails. The kanji on the tang would say Teuchi which I believe means hand made. I think it is the kanji on the back of the tang if I recall.
It is a heavy thick razor too.

Oh that is also one of my favorite tomo. It is a Hatahoshi and came in a little hatahoshi box with the nesting material in it.
Hatatomo3.jpeg
Hatatomo4.jpeg
Hatatomo5.jpeg

Thanks Sam. Yeah The Mt.Fuji is one of my best shavers. I have to say it is very similar to my Tamahagane old Orihi kamasori and the old dip toe and stub tails. The kanji on the tang would say Teuchi which I believe means hand made. I think it is the kanji on the back of the tang if I recall.
It is a heavy thick razor too.

Oh that is also one of my favorite tomo. It is a Hatahoshi and came in a little hatahoshi box with the nesting material in it.
View attachment 278454View attachment 278455View attachment 278456
I have couple of them Hatahoshi tomos Tom, but nothing as beautiful as yours. That thing is stunning. I’m sure it performs as good as it looks.

You know, lately I have been enjoying the old Scottish and Belgian hones… Everything I touch up in the past few months is using those stones… I feel ashamed to admit I have been neglecting my Japanese stones…

Looking great mate! I love those razors without a stabiliser.
I’ve heard many a good things about that soap but never had the opportunity to use it… I have to use up some of my stash before I’m able to get more soap… Hopefully something in the next 5-10 years…😅

I go through about 1 tub per year. But I don't shave that much or that often. It is pretty slick. It doesn't dry out my face. It lathers up quick. The smell is pretty neutral.

I have couple of them Hatahoshi tomos Tom, but nothing as beautiful as yours. That thing is stunning. I’m sure it performs as good as it looks.

You know, lately I have been enjoying the old Scottish and Belgian hones… Everything I touch up in the past few months is using those stones… I feel ashamed to admit I have been neglecting my Japanese stones…

That reminds me. I have a Scottish Dalmore and a Welsh Yellow Lake oil stone I picked up over the last few months that I still need to try.

I go through about 1 tub per year. But I don't shave that much or that often. It is pretty slick. It doesn't dry out my face. It lathers up quick. The smell is pretty neutral.

That reminds me. I have a Scottish Dalmore and a Welsh Yellow Lake oil stone I picked up over the last few months that I still need to try.
Not fine enough for razors. I’d go with a water of Ayr or a Tam O’Shanter. The latter is not always razor grade though…
I do have the Ble Dalmore but I find it dishes out too quick with knives and I prefer the Cretan stone to it…

On the soap, sounds like a winner. Even though I have ton of soap I seem to be using SV and Tabac (veg) only lately. Let ve the performance of both

It's ok those JNATS will have their day again. The Scottish stones are really fun and nice to use too.

BTW the razor above was finished on a Charnley Forest that’s on the hard side. If you can find a very hard one I have a feeling you will like it… it takes few laps but the edge reminds me of a very keen coticule edge…

BTW the razor above was finished on a Charnley Forest that’s on the hard side. If you can find a very hard one I have a feeling you will like it… it takes few laps but the edge reminds me of a very keen coticule edge…

I haven't had one of those yet. I will have to try one. I will set an eBay search now. Thanks for the enabling!

Anyone have experience with these strops? I feel like I have to try one for the price. How do they compare to the naniwa bench strop?

Link

Finally got into straight razor after lots of procrastination, I was able to get a great deal from Norm him, and learned a lot from him in the processs. So far I’m impressed, actually fewer cuts than my first time using safety razor, and no rashes at all, I get that from cartridge and sometimes safety razors. Very enjoyable shave, also got some supplies from EE while they are on sale. Might consider get some vintage Kamisori later, tho JapaneseKnifeDirect has some new but not sure how those fare. Anyway I like it alot

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...ght-razor-round-point-snakewood-handle.68648/
IMG_0551.jpeg

Back