Let's see your DIY sayas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if ya dont mind me chimming in, I think its a sweet blade for the buck. The kurochi finished Kiritsuke needs some work and can be made to look like a beautiful sord if you put a little love into it. Jayhay has one and its the only knife he uses any ore in the kitchen!

cool. i was gonna have it rehandled coz i'm left handed. would it be worth rehandled and pimped up? or should i just get a kiritsuke with an octagonal handle that's more expensive?

This isn't a kitirtsuke in the traditional sense. It's a kirtisuke shaped guyto. It's double beveled, with a slight curve towards the tip. I've been using it all week, but I've been off, so we will see how it handles in a pro kitchen starting tonight. The KU finish is rough, and needs some work. I need to round the spine and choil a little, and the handle sucks, but the steel is great. Holds a good edge, and can get scary sharp.

I would do a search here on this knife and read the reviews in the review forum before making a desison. There is a chance you will get one with over grind issues. I seem to be lunch and didn't get one of those, but others here have. Even the review that Jay put up on **** said the same he said here, but he seems to be happy with it now.

You may just have to put in the work before its a great performer. That said, I find it cuttin great, after I put my own edge on it. You get what you pay for, but hidden behind some issues, its a great peice of steel with a lot if potential.

thanks for the reply and will check more posts on it.

=D

very englightening

I just finished this Dexter 45A12H today and thought of this thread. I had to transport it so what the hell - calendar backer with "dovetail" tape from a trade show and a maple and birch pin I made. It's tight too -

saya_zps92fa6d5d.jpg

saya2_zps58da1be4.jpg

I actually like this shape as it stores easier than the traditional kind.

Interesting handle. Is that pattern from the tape? It'd look cool if it were like an end-grain saya type thing.

Yeah the pattern is end grain - if you wrap it around the corner of a cardboard box it looks like it's dovetailed. The handle is a modified "D" that I borrowed from here and there and it's cut back on the D side like the Marko's and Kramer's & the other side is like an octagonal. I'm still looking for the "perfect fit" for my style of cutting + it's a big 12" blade. Black Ash burl ferrule and dyed Box Elder Burl.

I finally decided to try my hand at these. I mean using wood instead of Cap'n Crunch boxes and painter's tape.
I started with basswood from a local craft store and just carved out the insides instead of using a thin piece if wood as a spine/spacer.
I made one for my Marko proto-honesuki, my Tojiro Nakiri, and I made one out of lacewood for my 280 Takeda gyuto with mhenry handle.
They aren't too hard to make, just a little time-consuming and really easy to mess up!
DSC_0004-Copy_zps6cf01cd9.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0008-Copy_zps3799e353.jpg
[/IMG]
So far they are all friction fit. I don't think I have room for a pin in any of them.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I finally decided to try my hand at these. I mean using wood instead of Cap'n Crunch boxes and painter's tape.
I started with basswood from a local craft store and just carved out the insides instead of using a thin piece if wood as a spine/spacer.
I made one for my Marko proto-honesuki, my Tojiro Nakiri, and I made one out of lacewood for my 280 Takeda gyuto with mhenry handle.
They aren't too hard to make, just a little time-consuming and really easy to mess up!
DSC_0004-Copy_zps6cf01cd9.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0008-Copy_zps3799e353.jpg
[/IMG]
So far they are all friction fit. I don't think I have room for a pin in any of them.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Arent those "a pro" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back