Liver Transplant

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfen23

Reaction score
Way off the usual topics around here, but...

Anyone have any experience with Liver Transplants? Looks like my Dad is in need of a new one. Acute Liver Failure is no joke.

Not a knife or cooking question - but this is as varied a group of people and professions as I've found anywhere :)

He's currently at a transplant center being evaluated to see if he's a candidate for transplant. Best case scenario since my blood type matches his is that they approve him for transplant, and I can be a live donor. At least, that's what I *think*.

Anyone here better in the know about these things?

Thanks!

I'm no doctor but I believe you are correct. A living donor gives like 1/2 their liver to the patient or something like that...science.

liver probably is the only living organ that can regenerate and regrow after you cut parts of it off.. Not sure what exactly is the question but you can donate half of your liver to your dad.

hope all goes well

I'm no doctor but I believe you are correct. A living donor gives like 1/2 their liver to the patient or something like that...science.

Indeed. Research says about 70% is taken, and it usually regenerates in 4-8 weeks.

I suppose I'm just trying to get info because the protocols to determine eligibility seem maddeningly slow. Grrrrrrr.

I can only find generic info regarding the criteria for both recipients and donors. I really should've gone to med school. :dontknow:

hard to explain if you don't have any scientific/medical knowledge..

Our immune response will attack anything that is considered foreign.

in a nutshell,

When two people share the same HumanLeukocyte Antigens (abbreviated as HLA), they are said to be a "match", that is, their tissues are immunologically compatible with each other. HLA are proteins that are located on the surface of the white blood cells and other tissues in the body.

direct relatives have a higher chance of compatibility as compared to 2 strangers but there are no guarantees they will.

if you put a no compatible organ into a host, the host's immune system will attack and kill the transplanted organ.

the process they are going through is probably HLA typing... sorry not sure if im repeating stuff you already know

"suppose I'm just trying to get info because the protocols to determine eligibility seem maddeningly slow. Grrrrrrr...." how long are we taking about?

I donated a kidney in March of 2015. It was on behalf of my wife's cousin.

Because I was not a match it was what they refer to as a "paired donation". There was a chain of 14 patients (seven donors and seven recipients) where the donor wasn't a match for the person that they were donating for but they were a match for someone in the chain.

My kidney went to someone in Tennessee and the one that my wife's cousin got came from someone in Virginia (she is in the San Francisco area). Kidneys were flying everywhere that day!

My point is that if you are not a match, perhaps they do paired donations for livers as well.

Thanks all. I have enough knowledge to know the basics of how all this goes down.

I've simply been in information blackout because I'm several hundred miles away.

The more specific question I have, is when will a transplant team move to get a living donor vs a cadaver donor. The list and criteria are designed for cadaver donors. That's the question that I can't find an answer to anywhere. :(

And, if they do consider a live donor, what would exclude me from being able to donate? I'm overweight with no secondary conditions from it (no diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) and I'm a sometimes smoker since Danny passed...

I can't speak for the US but my old boss used to be the director of the local liver transplant network of the city I live in.

They will take living as long as it's compatible and safe for both donor and recipient (you may need to speak to your doctor about that as everyone's physical/medical status is different). Waiting for Cadaver donations are horrible. The sad reality is that the number of organ donors out there are very low so many on the top of the waiting list may not even make it long enough for the next donation to come around.

The sad reality is that the number of organ donors out there are very low so many on the top of the waiting list may not even make it long enough for the next donation to come around.

This is so true. I remember coming home one day not long after I turned 18 and my mother handed a form and told me to sign it, and she said "you're going on the organ donor register" no ifs, ors or buts, just sign it, its happening.

And to the OP i hope everything goes well.

I have nothing to contribute but wish your father well.

This is so true. I remember coming home one day not long after I turned 18 and my mother handed a form and told me to sign it, and she said "you're going on the organ donor register" no ifs, ors or buts, just sign it, its happening.

And to the OP i hope everything goes well.

The sad reality in Australia and many western countries is that even for a registered organ donor, the family usually pulls the plug when push comes to shove. Understandable given the terrible shock and grief.

My understanding is that in Spain, families can't do this. They don't have many dialysis units in Spain.

I can't speak for the US but my old boss used to be the director of the local liver transplant network of the city I live in.

They will take living as long as it's compatible and safe for both donor and recipient (you may need to speak to your doctor about that as everyone's physical/medical status is different). Waiting for Cadaver donations are horrible. The sad reality is that the number of organ donors out there are very low so many on the top of the waiting list may not even make it long enough for the next donation to come around.

This. Precisely. That's why I'm so concerned I'll be disqualified for something silly up front. Reality says this could go completely pear shaped at any moment. He starts the battery of tests tomorrow to see if he's fit for surgery. Before this started? Absolutely!! With the trouble they've had keeping his fluids regulated, and his kidneys functioning? I don't know. I'm hopeful. I'm also realistic enough to know that I'm his best chance, assuming we match beyond blood type.

Also, thanks everyone! Just typing some of this out helps quiet my mind. [emoji106]🏻

Back