looking for a big, thick and heavy 270mm workhorse gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Masamoto HC should fit, but I have no personal experience. Anyway, it's far beyond your budget. I know the K-Sabatier to come very near to that description, though. But their carbon steel is much softer.
By the way, with a Misono or Hiromoto 270 you don't have to worry about stiction, even if the spine is about 2.5mm. The right face convexity is very obvious.

I must admit that in no one of the suggestions I've made the requirements about the spine thickness happen to be fulfilled.

I found this on rakuten: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/yminfo/item/10004545/

Is this the same one found on the epic edge website? I thought they used skd-11, but rakuten lists theirs as skd-12. skd-11 would give a little better and longer lasting edge than skd-12, right?

Don't get hung up on steel type. If you are interested, I remember a post from Larrin Thomas (bladesmith) where he suggested A2 (skd-12) had better potential as a knife steel than D2 (skd-11).

My Yoshikane is skd-12 (i was told). I'm sure whatever they are using at the moment is good stuff. They make great knives.

The Aritsugu A-Style might be an option. The knife is known for being wear resistant, which means great edge retention, thinning can be a pain though. The newer A-Styles have been reported to be thinner, then the older ones.

Jay

A few good points here.
As stated, it's amazing that Takedas are truly double priced from just a couple of years ago. What the hell is that all about? Good knives, but not better than say Watanabe that seems to be at about the same price level the last 6 years.
A 270 Watanabe gyuto is by my reckoning a beast and maybe the best workhorse I have ever encountered. Yes a bit reactive out of the box, but after one shift you'll have a good patina going and then you won't have ANY issues. Forget stainless.

where is the best place to buy a Watanabe? Watanabe themselves or anywhere else?

Forgot to add that edge retention on the "beast" is xlnt even on the plastics. Just keep a toothless steel at the ready to swipe now and again. As for price, it's well over you 200 range, but you won't need another one, ever. Considering that, the $350 is a bargain.
Good luck.

where is the best place to buy a Watanabe? Watanabe themselves or anywhere else?
Directly from Sinchi himself. Just go to his site. I think he has a bunch of his cheaper offerings in stock. Otherwise it takes a few weeks and he'll send it out to you. First class guy.

Back