Looking for a Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Reaction score
Looking for a knife to replace a gifted Haburn that replaced a gifted Burke. The person is a staunch hammer grip user and the Wa handles were just too small for him. The TL;DR is looking for a nice western handled santoku.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Santoku

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 170 - 180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No, but stainless or semi would be a plus

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 850 usd

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) all purpose protein slicing and vegetables chopping

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Vnox 7 inch santoku originally.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) pull cut and chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) it's a gift, replacing low end with high end.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Nice wood handle would be preferred.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Handle on the larger side.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Good food release main concern.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Typical white 2 timeframe, more is nice.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) end grain beech.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) no

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) no

"gifted Haburn that replaced a gifted Burke"

Can we be friends?

Oh come now, someone must have some western handled suggestions.

I think most of us don't spend a whole lot of time looking at 850 dollar santokus. ;)

I think as Santokus are rather small knives they come with rather small handles. Western makes the choice even smaller. Misono UX10, Blazen, Saji come to my mind. Zwilling Kramer should have a chubby handle!

I think wa would have bigger handles. Gesshin Heiji semi-stainless. Have Watanabe make smth nice, or ask HABURN. That would be my preference! His Western handles are beautiful!

Zwilling Kramer Euroline Stainless Damascus 7" (Western), or Zwilling Kramer Meiji 7" with a Western/wa hybrid handle...

Itou (Western) would also be nice!

For that price have it custom made

Oh come now, someone must have some western handled suggestions.

Off the shelf, a Zwilling-Kramer, either the FC61 Stainless Essential or the SG2 Stainless Damascus. Stay away from the carbon steel Euroline, as many of the handles have fit and finish issues because unstabilized wood is used for the scales (the stainless damascus handle is micarta and the stainless essential is polymer).

The Epicurean Ryusen SG2 is another possibilty, though the handle is smaller than the Zwilling-Kramer. Lucretia has one for sale in the B/S/T: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ean-Ryusen-SG2-165mm-Santoku-San-Mai-Damascus

You can always go custom. Butch Harner made this longish santoku (22 cm):

IMG_4351.jpg

There is a hiromoto on sale on bst. Should be the perfect score so

Saw it and missed it barely, I was like, Ohh perfect!

Masamoto HC's decent? At that price point I can try to get him into a small gyuto as well.

Perhaps a Takeda AS bunka. It has all the great qualities of a Santoku with a usable tip; and it's stainless clad. Trick to it all is finding a nice thin one!

Alternatively, a Kurosaki AS but with a custom handle?

Final option a Fujiyama Bunka 220, but maybe a little large.

I think your main issue is food release on a santoku/bunka. They are usually very thin with limited convexity.

I'd almost go a 180 Gyuto like a Kato or a Watanabe stainless clad. This will give much better food release.

Find a hiromoto! Don't give up till you do!

OP is looking for a WESTERN handle, so all the recently mentioned knives won't work...

.... Er my suggestion was to get a custom handle which can be western... So all knives could be done this way with a big budget...

Picked up a Hiromoto Damascus 180mm, if this one doesen't work for him, I give up. Thanks for the input all!

Latest posts

Back