Looking for a short, possibly laser, 210mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what I just realized? The Kagekiyo was the knife Bryce Shuman put up on his instagram awhile ago. Looks like the 210mm Wa-Petty, but he just used a stock photo and didn't realize the difference.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgJXR8NnJm/?taken-by=bryceshuman

I loved the look of, looked it up, decided the price was way to crazy (it was the blue steel so $500+) and moved on. I love Bryce Shuman's food and have probably eaten something he's cut with that knife.

I think that settles it. Kagekiyo White #2.

Does anyone who has the a 210mm Kagekiyo Gyuto have a video or picture demonstrating how much of a belly it as? It doesn't seem to have much of a flat area, but I'm not sure how much that matters.

Thank you!

That is a great looking blade. I used the Konosuke 240mm high bevel at work. Very nice knife. Has some heft, thin behind the edge & easy to sharpen.

Jon also carries that 210mm Kagekiyo with a K-Tip. I was looking at that knife for home use. Got the Kochi instead it was my first K-Tip knife. Don't know what took me so long love the tip.

That is a great looking blade. I used the Konosuke 240mm high bevel at work. Very nice knife. Has some heft, thin behind the edge & easy to sharpen.

Jon also carries that 210mm Kagekiyo with a K-Tip. I was looking at that knife for home use. Got the Kochi instead it was my first K-Tip knife. Don't know what took me so long love the tip.

I don't really understand the tip. Looks kinda weird.

Thank you so much! This is great information and something I'm going to read over a few times for sure.

Is there a name for the Kagekiyo/Konosuke Fujiyama grind or some means to look at more knives with that look? I think I want my next knife to have that look. Kagekiyo may just end up being the one I get. $320 is a lot for an undersized 210mm knife though. Almost $100 for than my HD2 240mm. I always thought I'd spend $300+ on a 270mm knife.

Anyway, thanks again and I'm going to do my best to find some opinions on the Kagekiyo knife now.

Grinds (meaning the cross sectional geometry of the blade) are generally described according to:
1. Spine thickness above the heel.
2. The degree to which this spine thickness tapers (distal taper), especially near the tip.
3. Whether it is a wide bevel knife (like Kagekiyo) or a narrow bevel (like for example Ryusen Blazen).
4. How thin the knife is in the first few mm behind the edge.
5. The way in which the blade tapers toward the edge. Can be convex, flat or concave. More convexed grinds tend to have better food release but may sacrifice a tiny bit of thinness behind the edge. Many convex grinds can still be pretty thin behind the edge though.

So the kagekiyo is (from memory) about 3-4mm abve the heel (definitely not a laser), tapering to a very thin tip. It is a wide bevel, with an almost flat (actually very slightly cocave, like it was ground on a big wheel) grind. It is quite thin behind the edge.

It's a matter of taste. I like Gyuto's just wanted to try K-Tip & found it quite useful. From cleaning & filet fish to peeling watermelons.:)

How about a tanaka 210 gyuto, thin behind the edge, blue core, and inexpensive.

You know what I just realized? The Kagekiyo was the knife Bryce Shuman put up on his instagram awhile ago. Looks like the 210mm Wa-Petty, but he just used a stock photo and didn't realize the difference.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgJXR8NnJm/?taken-by=bryceshuman

I loved the look of, looked it up, decided the price was way to crazy (it was the blue steel so $500+) and moved on. I love Bryce Shuman's food and have probably eaten something he's cut with that knife.

I think that settles it. Kagekiyo White #2.

Does anyone who has the a 210mm Kagekiyo Gyuto have a video or picture demonstrating how much of a belly it as? It doesn't seem to have much of a flat area, but I'm not sure how much that matters.

Thank you!

thats funny that he's your justification... i was just taking with him this morning. You're gonna have to go to vegas now to check out his food :p I'm pretty stoked that he's closer to me now, but I still hate vegas.

thats funny that he's your justification... i was just taking with him this morning. You're gonna have to go to vegas now to check out his food :p I'm pretty stoked that he's closer to me now, but I still hate vegas.

Justification, but I'd rather call it fate. Seriously loved it but never did more research into it. Just assumed it was out of my range. I prefer the White #2 steel (and Gyuto, not petty) so this really worked out!

Would you mind posting some pictures of the 210mm gyuto here? Different angles and such. I've stared at the stock photos so much I'd really like to see it outside that setting.

Lucky you that he's so close! Ate at Betony during its last week. Can still taste the scallop dish I got. Unbelievable. Ask him for the cured scallop with lemon and horseradish recipe. Then pass it along to me!

I'm in Japan right now, but If you e-mail me, I can ask Josh to post some pics of the knife on instagram or something like that. Would that work?

I'm in Japan right now, but If you e-mail me, I can ask Josh to post some pics of the knife on instagram or something like that. Would that work?

Yeah that would be great. Do I need an instagram? I have a twitter.

Yes I was able to see that. It's a picture of their board of who uses JKI knives.

actually, its out job board... we post job openings for restaurants... most of our customers are chefs... it was something i started because i really dislike hiring through cragislist, but its worked out well and continued to grow. The link i posted is to our general instagram page, instead of a specific image.

I am digging the stainless 210 k-tip Kochi: https://www.instagram.com/p/BY6Z0qvAmuU/

@Jon: I have a 240 Kochi (non-stainless) gyuto with a wonderful custom walnut handle which I bought used on BST a while ago. If I get this above mentioned stainless 210 k-tip gyuto, the cladding will look different from the cladding on my gyuto, correct? I am leaning towards the 210 because it looks quite a bit flatter than, say, a 240 k-tip from Kochi which actually looks to have quite a pronounced belly?!

That's correct... the kurouchi in v2 has different cladding than the stainless clad white #2 version, and thus will look different. The stainless clad ones are also a bit thicker. We've been moving towards a slightly flatter profile over the years for what its worth.

Back