looking for an exceptional "work horse" knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 240mm Kato should be about 580, 600 top. 760 probably computed with 25% VAT added which is only applicable to EU.

If you are not happy with KS and want to get a new knife, consider a Heiji carbon. Buying direct is pretty reasonable at 26250 JPY for 240mm gyuto. Given current JPY weakness, it is well withthin your budget. But there is a wait time of about a couple of months at least. You can also get Heiji Semi Stainless for a similar price too.

You are right, I believe the 240 is about $608 without VAT. I thought Maxim's online store added VAT after you put your country in, but all prices in the store include it right off the bat.

dam i got too excited (received income tax money) and pulled the trigger on the masamoto ks bought it last night on JCK, i wish i waited one extra day to see the negatives of white #2 none the less i think i will still enjoy my purchase

if im not satisfied with this knife as my daily go- to at work i think the next one i will try will e a gengetsu or watanabe

The Masamoto KS is a very good blade,flatter profile,easy to sharpen to a screamming edge,quality Heat treatment.Superb cutter.White 2 esp. in the Masamoto is not junk steel by a long shot.

ordered a 270 watanabe with the intent of being a workhorse which i currently use tanaka ginsanko 270 in that role. will compare when it arrives. that mizuno blue is interesting as well.

dam i got too excited (received income tax money) and pulled the trigger on the masamoto ks bought it last night on JCK, i wish i waited one extra day to see the negatives of white #2 none the less i think i will still enjoy my purchase

I wouldn't spend any time worrying about that. The KS is an awesome knife and just because some one else finds a negative side to white #2 doesn't mean it wont work very well for you. You surely won't have any trouble unloading it if it doesn't work for you so a KS is as close to risk free as it gets.

Dave

"for my own definition, workhorse gyuto should be hefty, sturdy with good edge retention carbon steel(blue/o1/w2...etc ) knife!! I can only think two right now" -cclin

Agreed and in a decent price range my choice is the Hiromoto AS 240mm

Semi stainless Gengetsu: $390 USD. Kato: $760 USD. Not really the same budget ballpark.

Though it is not in stock, the 240mm works out to only $487 USD today. The price was adjusted downward due to the new exchange rates, which is why I got one. Just a few months ago it was around $600. ;)

Not sure if people remember but it's called the 'Workhorse' for a reason, and so would be a great choice I think, although it's also true as someone said above that you'll spend some time with it on the stones (thinning - and the steel is hard).

I don't usually encounter much talk about the Gesshin Hide gyuto. There's a 240mm in blue#2 with ebony handle (nice) but it's $575. I don't see it listed on the JKI site and maybe I'm just imagining things, but I'm pretty sure there used to be a ho wood verson of the same knife at $100 less. Special order now maybe? On the downside, the prices here seem to be the same as last year and so, unlike at JNS, haven't been adjusted downward to reflect the value of the Yen.

ordered a 270 watanabe with the intent of being a workhorse which i currently use tanaka ginsanko 270 in that role. will compare when it arrives. that mizuno blue is interesting as well.
I'd prefer the watanabe just because it appears to be a taller gyuto than the mizuno.

Though it is not in stock, the 240mm works out to only $487 USD today. The price was adjusted downward due to the new exchange rates, which is why I got one. Just a few months ago it was around $600. ;)

Not sure if people remember but it's called the 'Workhorse' for a reason, and so would be a great choice I think, although it's also true as someone said above that you'll spend some time with it on the stones (thinning - and the steel is hard).

I don't usually encounter much talk about the Gesshin Hide gyuto. There's a 240mm in blue#2 with ebony handle (nice) but it's $575. I don't see it listed on the JKI site and maybe I'm just imagining things, but I'm pretty sure there used to be a ho wood verson of the same knife at $100 less. Special order now maybe? On the downside, the prices here seem to be the same as last year and so, unlike at JNS, haven't been adjusted downward to reflect the value of the Yen.

i would greatly appreciate if, before making comments like this, people would consider the following-
1. we have not raised prices on a number of items over the last few YEARS, despite the change in the change in the exchange rate
2. many prices on newer stock have been lowered
3. not everything was bought under the new exchange rate, and thus will sometimes reflect older exchange rates
4. sometimes we suck it up when the yen is strong because we dont want to always raise prices, so when we dont lower prices right away, maybe there's a reason for it (like trying to recoup a bit after having really really low margins on some procucts)

...I don't usually encounter much talk about the Gesshin Hide gyuto. There's a 240mm in blue#2 with ebony handle (nice) but it's $575. I don't see it listed on the JKI site and maybe I'm just imagining things, but I'm pretty sure there used to be a ho wood verson of the same knife at $100 less. Special order now maybe? On the downside, the prices here seem to be the same as last year and so, unlike at JNS, haven't been adjusted downward to reflect the value of the Yen.
I have a Gesshin Hide right here that I was just working on. It's an outstanding knife. It's one of those that cuts way better than you expect based on it's thickness at the spine.

I have a Gesshin Hide right here that I was just working on. It's an outstanding knife. It's one of those that cuts way better than you expect based on it's thickness at the spine.

Is this one of the new profile Hide's, or old?

I was thinking about treating myself with one of those beauties, or perhaps a Gengetsu, or maybe even a Heiji ss while the exchange rate is so good.

Yes. I like the one I tried too (the older style), no matter the price. A 240 is smaller in length - 240mm to the machi - but very nice grind, finish & feel, and blue#2 often seems like the high-end fav for steels for pro use in Japan.

:plus1:
I did not change price on Kato right away only when i got new stock of them and all old stock was sold.

i would greatly appreciate if, before making comments like this, people would consider the following-
1. we have not raised prices on a number of items over the last few YEARS, despite the change in the change in the exchange rate
2. many prices on newer stock have been lowered
3. not everything was bought under the new exchange rate, and thus will sometimes reflect older exchange rates
4. sometimes we suck it up when the yen is strong because we dont want to always raise prices, so when we dont lower prices right away, maybe there's a reason for it (like trying to recoup a bit after having really really low margins on some procucts)

Is this one of the new profile Hide's, or old?

I was thinking about treating myself with one of those beauties, or perhaps a Gengetsu, or maybe even a Heiji ss while the exchange rate is so good.
Can't go wrong with any of those. As for the Hide, I think it's the old style. There's a bit more belly and the tip is higher than I prefer. Still a great knife.

I have a 240 Hide that is an older profile. Always happy when I use that knife. The new profiles are nice too and highly recommended.

Back