looking for first laser gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The profiles on all the Sakai pattern gyutos are essentially the same, suisin, konosule, Sakai yusuke, ashi/gesshin ginga, tadatsuna, even the mizuno laser.

Yep,

Masamoto is the odd one out profile wise. Much flatter with a lower tip. Much more like a sabatier but maybe even a bit flatter. Spine on mine is fully rounded though not the choil for some reason. Though it is relieved a bit.

Don't own any of the others but I have used a Konosuke some. I don't feel like the Masamoto gives up anything for being a touch thicker at the spine. It tapers to being much thinner quite quickly as you go toward the tip. They measure long though, my 240 has a 255mm edge.

I ordered a 240mm Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless with Ebony Handle (you obviously wouldn't need this), and extra hardness (61HRC). They also offer a "thin" version version of this knife as well if you want more of a laser. You have to ask for the extra hardness and thin versions though, they're not listed on his ebay (Bluewayjapan) auctions. The only thing is the maker is really busy so I was told it'll be about 2 months before I see the knife. Everything I've read though says they're fantastic knives so I don't mind waiting a bit.

Awesome! I may contact them for a thin laser petty in w2.

I'm gonna suggest Masamoto KS. It's not quite as thin at the spine as a Konosuke or Suisin but you wouldn't know it while cutting. It's thin behind the edge and just falls through food.
how is the masamoto ks with wedging? i notice my moritaka ks can get stuck in food from time to time. not too often, but it does happen occasionally.

how is the masamoto ks with wedging? i notice my moritaka ks can get stuck in food from time to time. not too often, but it does happen occasionally.

The profiles are the same or similar but the grinds are different...haven't ever had a wedging issue with a KS...

The Masamoto KS isn't a laser, but it is easily the best gyuto profile/shape available, IMO, and the best all-around gyuto I've ever used (of 20+).

My 240 (actual blade length 252) would be the last knife I would sell.

Back