Looking for recommendations for an inexpensive White #1 or #2 knife to practice sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a post on BST. Since it's a project knife, you don't really care about it having been sharpened before etc. I'm sure someone has something you could buy for cheap, depending on where you live.

If you want to keep it super cheap Metalmaster has one more Tanaka B2 KU santoku for sixty bucks. Hard to beat that. It's soo smooth to sharpen and a shorter knife is easier to learn. Personally not a big fan of santokus, but it's a fun knife to have play with around the house.

The Munetoshi Matus mentioned should be great too. Haven't used one but with it's solid reputation should be a perfect fit to your purpose.

I ended up picking up a Masakage Shimo Santoku on the BST for a great price. Can’t wait to dull the crap out of it, so I can practice getting a wicked sharp edge!

I had been following this thread and thought matus had offered good advice so I bought a 165 munetoshi petty.

Nice little knife, looks like it belongs next to my 240 kochi gyuto.

Thanks for the tip!

I ended up picking up a Masakage Shimo Santoku on the BST for a great price. Can’t wait to dull the crap out of it, so I can practice getting a wicked sharp edge!

Run the edge across glass for instant dull.

I had been following this thread and thought matus had offered good advice so I bought a 165 munetoshi petty.

Nice little knife, looks like it belongs next to my 240 kochi gyuto.

Thanks for the tip!

That was another option, but I went with the Santoku because I will use it more often.

Back