Looking for steel samples for composition analysis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd send him a pm. I'm sure he has a number of samples to test out. I'm pretty curious as to how the first few samples worked out, myself. :)

Dont know what makes it, but it rusts pretty fast. I once left it for couple of minutes on the stone wet and there it was, nice and orange.

let me know if you have tested them or not. My neighbor happens to work for thermo-scientific and he sells the $65,000 analyzers from home. He tests my steel for free. I'd be happy to test your samples for you.

let me know if you have tested them or not. My neighbor happens to work for thermo-scientific and he sells the $65,000 analyzers from home. He tests my steel for free. I'd be happy to test your samples for you.

ARL OES. Not my favorite brand but that's what I'm talking about instead of SEM.

-AJ

ARL OES. Not my favorite brand but that's what I'm talking about instead of SEM.

-AJ

His analyzes won't test for carbon. But based on the chemistry or the steel it wirelessly accesses a database and tells you the name of the steel and you cam see the carbon content that way. I guess it wouldn't do much good for testing proprietary steel samples. Although I bought a knife with a proprietary steel saying high carbon with moly. And it was just 440a with extra carbon added to it. The analyzer read it as 440a but it still rusts fairly quick. Good luck with your tests man, the offers on the table if you ever need it.

I have a file(Thanks SpikeC), prepared sample for Global Chromova18 steel, which I hope is a good enough sample for testing. Waiting on the other guy to respond, when he can do the test. If this one goes ok, I'll file off some Shige and Mac.
Ncowan, if I don't hear from tester for a while I'll definitely check with you on testing samples. Thanks in advance.

Update - First sample went out this morning. Fingers crossed :) I certainly hope mutilated edge on that Global paring knife will not be in vain.

Alas.. Sample sent, periodically asking. Last I've heard was month ago - "plan ot have session on SEM next Friday", noting since then. I'll send another email today.

Back