Looking to replace my Hiro AS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The edge itself on the Hiro was about as sharp as these two, and it cut great. It just seemed like it would grab near the back of the blade if I was limp-wristing it. Probably has more to do with my technique than the knife. And probably unrealistic expectations, there is no such thing as a lightsaber after all...but I am impressed with the Ginga and SY so far in this regard.

Potatoes and carrots shouldn't be a problem with an adequately sharpened Hiromoto IMO unless you have let it become far too fat behind the edge or otherwise messed up its geometry.
I just have to think too much when dealing with a symmetric edge.

The brand new, initially sharpened by Dave - so sharp it cut through my skin on slight contact - Hiromoto AS 240 Gyuto I had wedged somewhat on potatoes and carrots. I noticed that, as the edge degraded, it wedged more. The edge was, as I recall, 50/50.

I'll give my Gesshin Ginga 240 White 2 Wa Gyuto a run at some potatoes and carrots today. I anticipate that the Ginga will have much less wedging than the Hiromoto.

A 50/50 edge with a Hiromoto is not that common.

My point was that, even with the original geometry and original edge/bevels which were close to 50/50, I experienced wedging with a very, very sharp Hiromoto.

Question for you guys: on an asymmetric blade is the flat-ish left side edge angle typically more acute than the convexed right side? Or the other way around? I'm trying to figure out the angles on a knife and the marker trick isn't really working since the left side bevel is so tiny.

With a strongly asymmetric blade the left angle has almost no influence on the performance but may or may not strengthen the edge considerably. A less acute angel will somewhat balance friction between both sides reducing steering, and recenter the edge a little bit as well. All reasons to choose a more obtuse left angle.

So I just touched up the Sakai Yasuke and my sharpening skills are getting better - it was sharper than factory! I went with symmetric angles, even though the grind is a little asymmetric. Weird thing is the edge angle appears to be really low, like 12, using the marker method. The edge was so much like the Ginga, now I'm wondering what the Ginga edge angle is? 12 seems pretty low to me, not sure I want to go with that if that is what it is. I do like the sharpness though.

Probably you may go much, much lower by thinning behind the edge, and add a 30 degree microbevel on the right side. See Jon Broida's video. It won't be your sharpest knife, just your best performing one.

only things i can get sharper than factory are carbons. stainless i suck at.

Probably you may go much, much lower by thinning behind the edge, and add a 30 degree microbevel on the right side. See Jon Broida's video. It won't be your sharpest knife, just your best performing one.

Have you personally done this before to a Ginga and compared an out of the box Ginga to a Ginga with one that's been thinned as you propose?

IMHO, I would not mess with thinning until it's necessary, since, if you do a serious thinning job on a knife, you can't undo it.

I spent some time yesterday morning trimming and slicing some raw bamboo shoots, chopping and slicing carrots, onions and sweet potatoes. The Ginga only had minor wedging toward the root end of a sweet potato, but otherwise, handled the hard vegetables effortlessly. Some veg stuck to the blade, but otherwise, it generally had very good food release.

In my experience, the Hiromoto can get a sharper edge (I haven't tried to sharpen my Ginga to that level and I may not be able to even get it to that level because of my lack of skill). And, for those who do not like lasers, the Ginga will likely not be your cup of tea. But, there is no question in my mind that, as far as overall performance is concerned (except for edge retention because I haven't used the Ginga long enough), e.g. less resistance when cutting, lack of wedging, food release, balance and comfort, the Ginga is superior to a Hiromoto to me.

Just FYI I kept the Ginga. I really love this knife for my style of cutting. Having a symmetric edge was the deciding factor since I'm pretty new to sharpening and I don't want to screw up a grind. Anyway I sold the Sakai Yusuke to friend who has some pro experience years ago, so he typically is a chopper. He loved the sharpness but was kind of put off by the light weight, and said he was afraid to put much force into it. Any alternatives I could recommend if he decides to try something else? For some reason the Asai Aogami Super at EE came to mind, but I just looked and half those knives just went to backorder, not sure what that is about?

Maybe I should recommend the Kobayashi Seikon Dojo since I just sold him a nakiri in the line. the upper blade was thicker which added some real heft and that worried me a bit. But the area above the edge was actually quite thin. For a chopper it really made an ideal combination. Also the Blue #2 sounds pretty tough and I found it pretty unreactive. This was all from experience with the nakiri though, not sure how their gyuto compares.

Back