Stefan's Loss of an original OG. RIP Stefan Keller

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
Hello, guys. It is with sad heart that I come here to bring the news of the passing of Stephan Keller aka Apicious. Stephan was diagnosed with cancer a couple months ago and made it home to see his family in Germany a couple of weeks ago. He died peacefully with his family around him .
Some of you may not know but, Stephan was one of the first guys to really start making custom wa handles. Many makers really owe there style to him even though they may not know it. He was an OG of the first order. I became part of this forum solely because of seeing his work and wanting to see more. He was a gentle giant of a man. He would of made a proper Hobbit in his love of fine wine, good music, hearty meals and amazing friends. You will be missed my friend.

Really not the news to hear. I have posts commenting how I’d always want some of his work on my knives. Somehow never quite got to it before he slowed down.
I know exactly what you mean about handles and inspiring the look of what we take for granted now.
RIP, hope he’s in a better place

Thx Son - well said. Really had hoped that with the re-location / new position things were moving in the right direction and at some point, when he felt comfortable, we would again see more of him and new handles. Happy that he was able to visit home (Germany) in the last few years (while healthy) and the thought he was with his family for some period of time gives me some solace ... RIP

Last edited:
This pic was posted on FB by one of Stefan's friends, it just speaks for itself....

1598891550957.png

Sadly I do not have any of Stefan's handles, but I do have a Korin-branded honesuke I bought from him while waiting and waiting for Marko to finish one I had ordered. So it is something at least, beyond memories of conversations at ECGs, etc.

Wow never saw this till now. He was a good friend. Sorry to hear this.

Just told Janice we had him over for dinner quite a few times. I would cook & he would bring couple bottles of wine.

Helped him get out of the weeds with large Australian order & other handles that were back ordered.

Stefan's handles showed his creativity with wood.

Just returned to this forum after almost 6 years hiatus and it saddens me to see that Stephan has passed on. My first knife purchased from an enthusiast was Stephan, it was a knife he rehandled for his mother originally, but she said it was too sharp. I still have it and use it almost daily. You're in a better place now my friend, you will be missed.

Just saw this, so sad. I remember fish dying and how hard that was felt by everyone. Sad.

Back