Media Lucky Peach #3

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC00551.jpg

Thanks for posting the photograph, but I saw it in person yesterday on the newsstand in the checkout line at Whole Foods.

Great shot. Will be a fun issue to hang onto for you.

Makes waaay more sense now. I was like damn, D avid Chang has some really sweet, in the know, knives. Nice collection and sweet photo.

Looks like my east cost collection status is about to be challenged

Looks like my east cost collection status is about to be challenged
I think you are still up on me. If I as you I would not be worried.... yet. hint hint, Bill, Devin, Pierre, David

Just got this issue in the mail from Amazon. Very cool.

Of course he's on this forum...this forum is the best collection of kitchen knife guys anywhere.

BTW, I got a custom coming...A Svartálfar Sindri integral made from the core of a dead star, designed by Dr. Moriarty, Heat Treated by Lucifer, Handle will be Bo from the tree Sidharta Gautama sat under, with an endcap made of Silmarils. Then it will be ground and finished by Gnomes and sharpened via erosion by a psychic waterfall, with Jesus' own MM. The case will be a functional TARDIS.

Of course he's on this forum...this forum is the best collection of kitchen knife guys anywhere.

BTW, I got a custom coming...A Svartálfar Sindri integral made from the core of a dead star, designed by Dr. Moriarty, Heat Treated by Lucifer, Handle will be Bo from the tree Sidharta Gautama sat under, with an endcap made of Silmarils. Then it will be ground and finished by Gnomes and sharpened via erosion by a psychic waterfall, with Jesus' own MM. The case will be a functional TARDIS.

Is that on of those Pakistani POS Damascus knives?

I wouldn't want it unless you had a saya made from the tree of life from the garden of Eden.

I just picked up this mag a few days ago. I enjoyed it, But it left me wondering. It seemed like a lot of this mag, not all, really ragged on being a chef as a career and culinary schools etc. Maybe its just me, but some of the articles were really discouraging to someone that is trying to make a career out of working in a kitchen. Did anyone else take it this way?

I just picked up this mag a few days ago. I enjoyed it, But it left me wondering. It seemed like a lot of this mag, not all, really ragged on being a chef as a career and culinary schools etc. Maybe its just me, but some of the articles were really discouraging to someone that is trying to make a career out of working in a kitchen. Did anyone else take it this way?

The way I read it was they were really trying to push the "It isn't like it is on T.V." narrative. Maybe they just over did it.

The way I read it was they were really trying to push the "It isn't like it is on T.V." narrative. Maybe they just over did it.

Can't over do that enough! Every Culinary kid I get walking in the door these days thinks its time to play top chef. They spend more time talking, and "creating" dishes they were never asked to do. Want week ends off, holiday's off and or expect time and a half x 2 for the day. ***** if they don't get a hour brake and a foot rub. I just flat out wont hire them any more, them and people who come in with "bartender school diplomas" intensive 2day online program, brilliant wish I would have thought of it.

You are probably right. In my opinion, you shouldn't go to culinary school unless you have put in a decent amount of time in a real kitchen. I haven't read every article yet, but i picked out a few times where they basically said you won't make any money doing this and you will struggle your whole life. It is probably just me, but they paint a really depressing picture of life as a chef. Which bums me out personally. Am i going in this because i want to be a chef on T.V. wearing a suit? No. Do i want to make a good living and be able to live comfortably? Yes.

So basically being a chef is the same as any other profession then. Go in young, start at the bottom and don't expect the piece of paper that you picked up in college to be all that much use.

You are probably right. In my opinion, you shouldn't go to culinary school unless you have put in a decent amount of time in a real kitchen. I haven't read every article yet, but i picked out a few times where they basically said you won't make any money doing this and you will struggle your whole life. It is probably just me, but they paint a really depressing picture of life as a chef. Which bums me out personally. Am i going in this because i want to be a chef on T.V. wearing a suit? No. Do i want to make a good living and be able to live comfortably? Yes.

When you brake down the amount of work put in for the pay received it's pathetic. Example: before I opened my own place I was payed 120k a year as a executive chef. From what I have seen that's in the upper % of what chefs make across the country. I worked a average of 80hr a week, that's not counting the time I spent on my "day off" doing restaurant related things (a good 6 hours on average). So I was making about $26-$28 a hour. Keep in mind all the years, time, and hard work I had to put in just to get to that point. I would say that the first 10 years of my cooking career I was making between $3-$11 a hour. That's after 30k for culinary school, another 30+k for my bachelors and masters degrees in management. So tell me what other type of business "executive" with upper level education from top end schools is making $28 a hour 15 years into his career with no 401k or health benefits. Putting In 80+ hour 6-7 day work weeks with no vacation time or pay, no "sick days". Working in a masochistic environment, hot, sleep and food deprived, having to hold ones bladder for painful hours on end. Being burned, cut, in some cases beaten, that's not to mention the content verbal abuse. And at the end of the day love it! Sick sick sick profession that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I have not read the magazine yet but I'll bet they are still painting a prettier picture then it really is?

Not all of the articles were painting a bad picture i suppose. I actually thought that Mario Batali's article was really really good. A lot of the articles were, i guess just a few stood out to me that were on the negative side. I have only worked in a pro kitchen for a year, so i am in no position to argue with the people on here, or the people that wrote those articles. I am just venting, mostly because i was optimistic about having a career in the kitchen and now my optimism has dwindled a bit.

I don't think they painted a bad picture at all,just a realistic one.I talk to so many people(both young and old) who want to go to culinary school or change careers(nothing wrong with that)because of the "glamorisation" of chefs that is portrayed on TV.
They think it's all cookbooks and endorsements and rock star friends and lifestyle.They don't realise that the few chefs that have achieved that status were either very lucky,right place at the right time,or worked their asses off for years,toiling in the belly of the beast.

Then you have those who think owning/opening your own restaurant would be so cool(which it can be) again not realizing all the red tape and BS that goes with the territory.
Cooking for a living is a fine and noble profession,but it takes a certain kind of individual to push past all the trials and tribulations and succeed or at least make a decent living from it.

I've actually decided to unsubscribe from the food network because I couldn't stand watching all the shoemakers and hacks that populate the airwaves...

Just picked it up. Skimmed through it. It's about damn time someone made a mag for chefs and serious cooks. Not Susie homemaker and Foodie McDouche. Can't wait to actually read some of the articles. Looks like some good stuff.

Everyone should be discouraged from making a career out of it. The ones who give up after a little discouragement weren't going to make it anyway. Might as well save those people $30k in culinary school tuition and save my time wasted hiring them and replacing them when they flake out.

That issue was the "chef" issue. Not all of them focus on the "chef" thing. The prior issue talked about sweet spots and unique ways to kill fish. The fish killing alone was worth it for me.

I think any chef in a position where people will listen to them owes everybody the favour of trying to push them away from joining this career choice. Much like Bourdain did in his famous book.

Back