Magnification scopes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A number of YouTube channels about sharpening suggest inspecting the edges of the blade you are sharpening with a magnifier, Basically you can see the edge and know when to stop. These channels do not show, or if they do there is no mention of the brand. I know where to get handheld microscopes but what would be a good one to use for this purpose?

This is as good as I can do with my iPhone 14 Pro Max and a digital 15X magnification. This is a 3.1" Wüsthof paring knife. This is after a brief session with Shapton 1000, and 2000 Grit stones. I can see I needed to spend more time. A closer view would be really nice.

IMG_8952.jpeg

There are also USB CCD microscopes, that plug into a smartphone or a computer. These are more expensive but in my case, they would be handy for working with surface-mount electronics. This Celestron goes from 20X to 200X

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.24.19.png

I use this pocket microscope:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Carson-Mi...igiscoping-MP-250BUN/dp/B015MS8O48?th=1&psc=1
I’ve found it a bit of a learning curve to understand what I’m looking at it. Some of my learning curve is documented here: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-copy-paper-sharp-to-paper-towel-sharp.63779/
I mainly use it for edge and burr inspection now, to make sure I’m hitting the apex when using the sharpie method, as well as checking for nicks / remnant burr subject to test cut performance.

I know @mengwong has a way more impressive setup than I.

When I entered the title to my post I was hoping it would show me a thread like this, but magnification is not mircoscope.🤷‍♂️

what magnification is recommended? We happen (;-)) to have a stereo microscope and I must admit I never looked at a knife using it.

Last edited:
I used to use a loupe but i found i mostly use 6x reading glasses ($15 from amazon). It makes it quicker to survey the entire edge.
You do have to hold the knife close, almost like you would with a loupe. 20-30x is fun but not necessary for me.

I was using my iPhone 14 Pro Max to look at the edges of some of my knives. Except for the focusing issue, the 15X setting and what I can do with the image in post-processing are plenty. Going to see it one of the Photo apps I have installed will do a better job, or if there is one out there that will do it. This image was taken from about 6" away, any closer it is to out of focus to see anything.

This is a zoomed-in 15X image of the edge on my JCK 180mm Gyuto. With a lower magnified in-focus image, I can see the right-handed biased double-angle grind it has. With an edge angle guide, it would be easy to maintain this.

IMG_8962.jpeg

I was using my iPhone 14 Pro Max to look at the edges of some of my knives. Except for the focusing issue, the 15X setting and what I can do with the image in post-processing are plenty. Going to see it one of the Photo apps I have installed will do a better job, or if there is one out there that will do it. This image was taken from about 6" away, any closer it is to out of focus to see anything.

This is a zoomed-in 15X image of the edge on my JCK 180mm Gyuto. With a lower magnified in-focus image, I can see the right-handed biased double-angle grind it has. With an edge angle guide, it would be easy to maintain this.

View attachment 306612
Is that a macro shot? I have a new 15 pro and the macro is pretty good. Very clear. I just run it down the edge. Frankly, I have no idea what I'm looking for, but hoping it will jump out at me if I see it.

Is that a macro shot? I have a new 15 pro and the macro is pretty good. Very clear. I just run it down the edge. Frankly, I have no idea what I'm looking for, but hoping it will jump out at me if I see it.
With the iPhone 15 Pro, you have a vastly improved camera, I have a 12-megapixel set of cameras on the 14 Pro Max, the 15 has 48-megapixel cameras and improved computation processing. It is the improvements in the cameras that is the main reason I upgrade my iPhones.

Back