Maintaining the blade geometry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score
I use an edge pro right now but even from the little freehand I did I had trouble keeping the blade geometry on my knives and I would get a wavy sort of edge.
What is the best way to avoid this

Possible that the edge was ground wavy...that said, it takes some practice to get even pressure.

Yes it was ground wavy

Best way to avoid this is to buy knives that are not ground poorly...from your other thread I believe you are headed in the right direction...I'd recommend ditching the edge pro before you run into the other issues it causes (tip problems, etc) and just take your time and learn to freehand.

Actually I probably haven't said this in a right way. The edge of the blade gaps against the cutting board

Not at all. I think putting the blade against something straight? No idea :(

Now greg from wabocho has fixed it, but I remember I could see the edge going up and down like a road going through hills

I'm not sure what knife your talking about but, with some Jknives being heat treated to RcH 65 I would not want to try deforming a knife like that because of the risk of cracking the tip off. Pictures would help.

Lets say you have a knife with a long flat edge like a nakiri. Instead of it being straight like it was supposed to, it had variations like a wave along the straight line

Edgepro is a beast at showing up grind nasties. Now that I free hand I don't
think about this much anymore. Except extreme cases I guess, haven't got any
blades w/ big grind problems:)

Back