Maintaining wooden cutting boards + synthetic boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I (home cook) have a wonderful oak endgrain cutting board which I particularly like. I clean it with (clean) sponge and water, and a little dishwashing liquid. I've stumbled upon advice that you shouldn't clean it under running water because of potential water absorbtion. If you still do, make sure you're not using hot water, only cold water, and make sure you're rubbing it dry afterwards. Someone recommended white vinegar for cleaning...

And then, I read you should apply mineral water and/or board butter every now and then. This is clear to me.

Oh, and then someone said, you shouldn't cut meat on a wooden board.

What do you guys think? What do you do with your wooden boards?

And which synthetic options do you recommend? I'm looking at Sani-Tuff right now, mostly for cutting meat, and then I can put it into the dishwasher... I've also found some synthetic boards made of wood fibre... Is that any good?

I have my nice boards on the counter. My wife will use bamboo and/or Epicurean boards, because they're lightweight. We have a big cheap plastic board with grooves I use for meat.

Some will actually use salt on their wood boards to draw out anything that may have soaked in, and to kill bacteria.

My wife will use bamboo and/or Epicurean boards, because they're lightweight.
Those were the ones I was reffering to... But you're also mentioning bamboo boards. I might be making rocket science out of simple cutting boards, but some say that the long and hard fibres in bamboo boards could do harm to the edge... :scratchhead:

BTW, I've heard the cleaning tip with sea salt as well...

Hey guys,

I (home cook) have a wonderful oak endgrain cutting board which I particularly like. I clean it with (clean) sponge and water, and a little dishwashing liquid.

So far, so good.

I've stumbled upon advice that you shouldn't clean it under running water because of potential water absorbtion. Someone recommended white vinegar for cleaning...

Poor advice. If you've oiled the board, it won't absorb water. Just don't soak it.

If you still do, make sure you're not using hot water, only cold water, and make sure you're rubbing it dry afterwards.

Nothing wrong with hot water. Actually, it's often the only way I can get my board clean enough to suit me. Yes, dry it well afterward, and if it doesn't have feet, stand it on edge so the bottom dries.

And then, I read you should apply mineral water and/or board butter every now and then. This is clear to me.

Good advice. Apply oil or board butter when the surface looks dry, or whenever you feel like it.

Oh, and then someone said, you shouldn't cut meat on a wooden board.

More poor advice. I cut everything on my board, and then clean it.

Rick

If you do worry about meat, or want something a bit easier for cleanup, there are plastic mats you can place over the cutting surface that are easily cleaned afterwards. I tend to use them since my board is quite massive, and cleaning off a bunch of juices can get a little messy when I have to bring the water to it. Proper maintenance is key though, so just keep it clean, dry, and oiled when not in use.

Hardwood boards are NSF certified for use with meats, and are in fact inherently safer than plastic in most cases. plastic can scratch and gouge, holding moisture and making a prime environment for potential pathogens to thrive. Whereas wood will absorb the moisture leaving the surface dry.

I scrape my boards instead of washing them, with a steel dough scraper, these days, as I find it to be a lot quicker and easier. My end grain boards are 20x15x3, though, so you can likely imagine why I don't like lugging them to the sink (I have two, directly opposite each other, and the one on the island is a good ways away from the sink, to boot). I use 70% isopropyl to disinfect, when needed. Otherwise, everything Pensacola Tiger said.

Back