Makers - Offer to help.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was suggesting only numbers, no names, something like 4 columns:

# of 2011 Orders Deposits Taken Previous Month Total Current Month Total
# of 2012 Orders Deposits Taken Previous Month Total Current Month Total
# of 2013 Orders Deposits Taken Previous Month Total Current Month Total
# of 2014 Orders Deposits Taken Previous Month Total Current Month Total
# of 2015 Orders Deposits Taken Previous Month Total Current Month Total

The point is if people see steady progress, then ...

Im glad you checked in Pierre, I think what you said on the other thread was the most positive course of action.
Just my suggestion and layout for conditional help.

Make a list
Pay back those who want refunds.
Then we can look at the remaining list. If its not too insurmountable and If we all see prompt affirmative action I would take a weekend to make a couple of blades towards getting work finished by a set date, Randy said he would help as well, so its really going to come down to you sorting this out.

Will

I am compiling a list. Also will be grinding this weekend. I have several blades profiles and heat treated, it shouldn't be horrible to get some completions. I purchased a 3M respirator, wearing it makes me feel like I'm smothering, tough to pull air through it.

I appreciate your offer of assistance. Sincerely.

I appreciate the offers to help, and would accept them. I am not trying to screw anybody out of money or product. Yes all me an ass, deserved, call me a crook, I hope not. I have only recieved 3 emails form clients. I answered them. I dont know when I can get back into full swing. What do I do? I work in the oil field, you all know where that market is. I have no extra cash. FInancially I am in a bad way. I will finish the orders promised, I have not taken new orders in well over a year. I am at your mercy. I feel bad asking for time, but I need it.
How do I proceed?

Pierre, I emailed you, no response?

Im glad you checked in Pierre, I think what you said on the other thread was the most positive course of action.
Just my suggestion and layout for conditional help.

Make a list
Pay back those who want refunds.
Then we can look at the remaining list. If its not too insurmountable and If we all see prompt affirmative action I would take a weekend to make a couple of blades towards getting work finished by a set date, Randy said he would help as well, so its really going to come down to you sorting this out.

Will

Pierre. Im glad you are going to address this problem. Let me know if the blades I offered would be of help to get any of these orders knocked out.

Why would anyone want to enable this type of behavior?
I don't know why these orders weren't filled, but they were not and he took customers high percentage deposits for years.
Two actions should take place per the customers choice: a full refund or the promised work. That's it. End of story.
If somebody wants to take their time and provide Rodrigue with time and materials when Rodrigue won't even be bothered to respond to his customers - well then that's none of my business.

I thought you were a nice guy untill I read this.

Never pass up a chance to help someone in need.

Money is not a good enough reason to be mad.

Hoss

I think some of you are responding without knowing what is actually going on.

I offered to help a few months back. My offer is still good. We have a chance here to help, we should take it.

A collaboration between makers with the guidance of PR will produce some very unique and rare pieces. I think everybody wins.

We can throw sticks and stones, but nothing good will come from it.

Hoss

I think the problem from my point of view *and I suspect others) is that Pierre just went dark, didn't post here etc. If he had been posting updates here, showing some progress no matter how little, people would have been far more understanding. I'm hoping that regular progress reports from Pierre will go a long way to defuse the tension...

I don't have a hand in this, but I can understand Pierre going quiet on this. In this situation I would have done the same, with no workable solution possible at this time (given health reasons) wouldn't you want to bury your head for a while?

Seriously though, Will, Devin and HHH; you guys are awesome!

I am heartened by the good offers, motivated (IMO) by those wanting to make things right for buyers who put their money up years ago. Kudos to those willing to help out. I know from a recent conversation with Will C that the financial situations of knife makers entail some limitations what they're able to do, so it makes the offers to help even more generous. That being said, I can also totally understand the other side of not wanting to enable or somehow condone some less than ideal business practices.
In the end, I hope the best for everyone--buyers to get a knife they feel is a fair value for what they paid (and I agree with Hoss that there might be some unique pieces to come out of this), even with the delays and hassle involved to get it, timely refunds for those who just want their money back, some goodwill toward the makers that are stepping up to help out, and improved health and a productive life for Pierre.

So, I have no ability to furnish materials or time to the generous makers that have offered to try to mitigate this wrong.
However As someone who has purchased stunning blades from a few of these fine craftsmen I would like to offer what I can...
I would be willing to pick up the shipping cost for the makers who send out knives to those affected...
The makers will have enough $$$ and time into their contribution to this unfortunate situation.
When the time comes...Makers...
Just PM me.

Paul

I thought you were a nice guy untill I read this.

Never pass up a chance to help someone in need.

Money is not a good enough reason to be mad.

Hoss

I agree Devin.

Will, Randy, Devin...you three are class acts...from top to bottom.

If I can help in any way (even if it's just telling you guys how great you are for stepping up!)...just let me know.

Awesome, I talked to Ian and he agreed to help also.

Just need to get organized.

Thanks everyone.

Hoss

Hoss / All - I obviously can't help with making the actual blades but more than willing to help defer some of the shipping costs since you guys are doing all the work! Please let me know how much it is and I will do what I can. I can't sit by & see you guys having to lay out $$ along with your already valuable time & effort.

TjA

Awesome, I talked to Ian and he agreed to help also.

Just need to get organized.

Thanks everyone.

Hoss

I agree Devin.

Will, Randy, Devin...you three are class acts...from top to bottom.

If I can help in any way (even if it's just telling you guys how great you are for stepping up!)...just let me know.

If your offer is sincere, we'd love some help. Send me your email address and I'll forward you the email I sent out yesterday for everyone volunteering.

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure what we did when Son and Nicolet needed our assistance in the past. I think someone put some sort of escarole fund in place? I will certainly contribute is someone wants to set it up.

If my offer is sincere?

Really?

Ignoring the obvious questioning of my integrity, and the fact that yesterday you were down on Will for "enabling" Pierre, my email is [email protected]. I will do whatever I can, as I count Pierre a brother craftsman, and truly care about his customers that have been affected.

I have hard time understanding the post from Ian (I am not a native English speaker), so maybe this is just a misunderstanding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, this a good cause. This will help the customers who are out money and or knives, and it will help PR relieve some stress and enable him to heal.

Hoss

Is there some heated rivalry here for who makes the best American made honyaki? Jk but seriously lets just let that pass by. You guys are doing something really nice helping out all the people who were affected by "he who shall not be named" atrocious actions. Its really commendable and makes me think you all are stand up guys.

@Haburn Cris is a stand up guy you apparently have never worked or spoke with him before.

Is there some heated rivalry here for who makes the best American made honyaki? Jk but seriously lets just let that pass by. You guys are doing something really nice helping out all the people who were affected by "he who shall not be named" atrocious actions. Its really commendable and makes me think you all are stand up guys.

No rivalry. I am not a knife maker here...just a member offering to help. I simply don't appreciate having my intentions or integrity questioned by someone who had to be coerced into helping after badmouthing the intentions of one of the most stand up bladesmiths I know. Will has demonstrated his integrity a dozen times over.

I don't think any more needs said from my end on the topic though. My offer stands.

Like Matus suggested, probably just a misunderstanding of tone. Not sure if everyone is a native American English speaker. I saw no negative implication or intent in Ian's message which we are discussing.

@Chris - There was no intent to question your integrity - just simply making sure you were actually on board to help. Many people talk a big game in public only to disappear in private. Please don't try to make this about you. This is simply about helping the community members who were wronged by Pierre. I'll send the email on over. Thank you for volunteering, as I said, we'd love the help.

I have no ill intention towards Will and he can attest to that from the PM's we exchanged. My original post was simply an opposing view to open up discussion, I don't think anybody should dive into help before they have the full story.

Nobody coerced me into helping. I'm volunteering my time if and only if Pierre is circumvented. There is NO WAY I'm spending the little extra time I have during the day only to send materials or partially completed knives to Pierre to have them disappear. His customers can attest this happens with their money - shouldn't I learn from their mistakes?

@Devin - I sent you the email at 1.55pm yesterday.

I sincerely appreciate the offers of assistance. There have been issues of equipment, work, and health, that has left me in a rough spot. I owe product/money to people, and I dont feel good about it at all. I am overwhelmed and grateful. I understand the hot language, doubt, and lack of faith. I suppose I earned it all. However, I haven't run away never to be heard from again. I am here, and intend to correct what I can. Some have expressed faith in me still, here, and in emails, and I thank you all. Devin and I spoke on the phone yesterday, he is an outstanding person, and I consider him a friend. I will do all I can to expedite things, and clear up orders, and refund moneys where necessary, as I have it.
I hope my actions will show that I didn't desert/abandon/run away, as some have accused. I want to correct things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back