Making SALSA, knives, tools, techniques, recipes, ingredients

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last couple of years I have tried a number if bolsterless henckles, wusthofs, and messermeister knives in 8, 9, and 10 inch models but ultimately didnt keep any of them. I found them to have too much belly, too curvy of a profile for me resulting in accordion cuts. That really curvy profile also requires a lot more movement when rocking the knife, more tiring and less efficient than with a gently curving profile like found in Japanese knives. They also shared a design trait that I learned I didn't like, the handle is parallel to the board or dropping towards the board, so when you are rocking the knife your knuckles hit the cutting board, this is exaggerated by a back belly on some of them. And, they all seemed too heavy to me. I was hoping to find a German knife that I liked for salsa but the Japanese knives won.

Last edited:
This is my favorite knives for salsa. The bottom 3 are my favorite knives. The very bottom one is only for slicing very fine. They are Henckels 4star and 5star, my Wusthofs classics are not my favorite. Some of these Henckels were my mom's which are very old maybe 50 years old.

IMG_0253.jpg

Warm weather is here, time to make fresh mango salsa!
Compared 2 Takamura migaki R2s, one with a SG3K edge and the other with a SP2K edge, both are great for tomatoes and peppers, the SG does seem a Tad more refined, liked em both.
View attachment 125756

I like your fine chop on the onion and jalapeno. I also like those to be fine chopped. I think they blend a little better and give a nice bite on the chip, and I avoid getting a large chunk of jalapeno and making it too hot. I'm from Texas, but still not into real spicy foods 🤷‍♂️

And the winner is...
Kanehide 210mm semi stainless gyuto.
This is my favorite salsa making knife, see review a few posts back, nothing fancy, just works like I want it to. Made more salsa today after putting a Suehiro Ouka 3K edge on it, nice!

molcajete-twins.jpg
shiki-1.jpg

I use the molcajete to make salsa, but I do reduce the labor by rough chopping all the ingredients first, otherwise it is way too much work and it still comes out way too chunky/uneven. I often use this Shiki for the chopity chop because I am often outside close to the grill and away from where I can wash and dry, so stainless R2 is the way to go I think..

That sounds like an exciting experiment! Trying out different knives and techniques for making salsa must be a lot of fun. Have you ever thought about incorporating your favorite salsa flavors into a unique pico de gallo recipe? It could be a tasty twist for your next culinary adventure!

That sounds like an exciting experiment! Trying out different knives and techniques for making salsa must be a lot of fun. Have you ever thought about incorporating your favorite salsa flavors into a unique pico de gallo recipe? It could be a tasty twist for your next culinary adventure!
it seems like ppl don't really enjoy pico de gallo :(

Latest posts

Back