Masakage Discussion - leading into the Feb Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Preizzo dang...sorry to hear that :( hope you get a good resolution to this

Can you explain/point out the left side lamination going into the spine? From the photos there looks to be a little bump or line near the spine (haven't seen a delamination before, is it that?)? This line uses a stainless steel tang, does it possibly have something to do with that?

Your sure you didn't buy at Knifeworn instead of knifewear? ;)

It s a crack between the joints of the stainless steel tang and the blade. 😢
Have knives with Lamination but this one goes to deep inside the spine, sure some days will crack all the way.

Ughh. Sorry to hear you got a lemon. That shouldn't happen at all..

That Choil,... my eyes!

Not a good reflection on Knifewear (at least open the box and inspect the knife before shipping) but hopefully they are very responsive.

Regardless, thanks for posting preizzo and sorry for your troubles.

Got the knife today and it s a total mess.
The knife has several overgrind along the blade.
The heel it s chipped, the blade is twisted and has a huge Lamination going from the left side in too the spine for like 5mm.
The knife also it s been used before because there are a lot of scratches and rust spots.

Only positive thing is the cladding which is really beautiful.
At this price point I am really disappointed, I allready sent an email to the knifewear team. Let see what they say.....

Oh no! Sorry to here that! Been there. It's so disheartening getting a lemon. Fingers crossed they have a good customer service and do the right thing and the issue gets sorted.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes?

Just wondering why the people should sell something that it s not worth a penny. Like for me if I cook a wel done steak instead of a blue...... No point to serve it.. Last five years I bought more than 200 knives and it s the first time I got an expensive one in this condition.

Just wondering why the people should sell something that it s not worth a penny. Like for me if I cook a wel done steak instead of a blue...... No point to serve it.. Last five years I bought more than 200 knives and it s the first time I got an expensive one in this condition.

I'm guessing it's just a human error. Somebody probably had already returned it for the same reasons and it got misplaced at their warehouse/store. I can't imagine it was ever supposed to be sent to customer again. Their response will be telling.

Yeah.... if this was a $80 knife. Maybe. But for that price, sale or not. Needs to go back and they need to refund you the money, incl shipping IMHO. Too bad you probably paid a hefty tax and import fee on it

The rough choil/emoto is "normal" on these knives (Kujira)

They look very distinctive, unique even, but it's clear (and has been for some time) that the wabi-sabi level is somewhat high on these. Factor in the premium price and it's hardly surprising these have never been hyped/flavour of the month/popular.

Sorry to hear that, Preizzo. I hope that Knifewear makes an honest effort to make the return process as painless as possible.

As a Canadian just beginning my knife buying journey, I'll be paying close attention to how Knifewear handles the situation. Please keep us posted good or bad, my willingness to spend money there hinges on how they handle these types of deals. I've found that their price points are bordering on the edge of what I'm willing to spend in order to patronize a Canadian company. How they handle a situation like yours will absolutely weigh heavily into whether or not the price is justified.

Yes alterwisser, that's why I am not sure of what to do!

Ask for an exchange. That should not trigger any repeat Tax/fees hit, if declared properly in customs form.

Make sure you get a blemish free version, of course. Ask them to send you pics of the actual knife in advance. Or ask them to send a video (might be easier)...

Watching more closely the knife I noticed that have a particular grind.
Right side has a pronounced s grind and on the left side has a nice gentle convex grind.
I could not use it because I am thinking in give it back, but now I am starting to think that maybe I could put on the stone and fix it a bit.
Don't know.....

Really sorry to hear about your experience with knifewear. I've had several conversations in the past with Kevin from Knifewear before and he has been extremely helpful. If I could suggest you contact him, not sure if he is the owner or manager..... @KnifeNerd on twitter.

Really sorry to hear about your experience with knifewear. I've had several conversations in the past with Kevin from Knifewear before and he has been extremely helpful. If I could suggest you contact him, not sure if he is the owner or manager..... @KnifeNerd on twitter.

Ditto. For a knife of that calibre you want to get in contact with Kevin (believe he's the owner). Give him a call and see what he says before you put it on the stones. Someone said something about double checking finish earlier in this thread :rolleyes2:

I'm guessing it's just a human error. Somebody probably had already returned it for the same reasons and it got misplaced at their warehouse/store. I can't imagine it was ever supposed to be sent to customer again. Their response will be telling.
wooow man I am so sorry.

Frankly this is why I don't buy from knifrwear.

I assume someone from kW will read this:

Shame on the company for sending a five hundred dollar carbon steel knife without inspecting it. Shame on the company for sending any handmade knife overseas without verifying it wasn't a total POS. What a waste. I think whoever shipped that should lose their job, make way for someone who cares about knives.

Shamefully stupid behaviour.

wooow man I am so sorry.

Shame on the company for sending a five hundred dollar carbon steel knife without inspecting it. Shame on the company for sending any handmade knife overseas without verifying it wasn't a total POS. What a waste. I think whoever shipped that should lose their job, make way for someone who cares about knives.

bingo bingo bingo! :D we have a winner here!

Don't want to anybody to lose their job.... 😊 It s OK, I am just disappointed.. I really want to use it and wait more time it s killing me 😡.
Sure it will be all good.! 😊

Where's the chill?

wooow man I am so sorry.

uh.... why don't you ask the vendor, given it appears to be a well reputed vendor, before implying serious fault with his staff?

I know @lifebya1000cuts.i am in contact with some of the stuff, waiting for an answer back I don't want to create absolutely any problems.
😊 as I said before I am sure it will be all good. 😊

I had a similar issue with Knifewear. They don't treat the knives very well it seems and send them without checking them.

Sent the knife back! Full refund a d they even offer me a bonus discount for the tax I have paid on the knife. 😊 waiting now on a new one that should arrive soon. Well I can say that I am happy with the customer service but still upset I couldn't use the knife (really want to try one)
I am waiting to try one and I want to hear others members though about it. 😅

I am going through this very same process with Knifewear. So far they have been very responsive.

Back