Masakage Shimo Demo Knife, I purchased, flaws exposed...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the general statement that umberto is rude and and a tinge annoying (airing dirty laundry rather than handling the problem honestly and privately). But I see his point that there is a severe bias on this forum, whether earned or paid for I'm still trying to decide. Sometimes it is confusing. An analogy: NPR receives donations from Putnam investments, yes the journalists tell stories that are generally connected and most of the time it is positive. But you don't see Teri Gross rubbing her balls fawning over every investor like I see here as much as they have a right to be. But where is the pursuit to find better investments and advancing horizons? I read a thread of DT talking/teaching and comparing different steels, however a little biased but only a little. The thread was informative and helpful and I appreciated it. But when people rep EE, JNS, or Japan tool and all the others (no offense guys)I feel like people here are saying "take my money, I don't want it!" and for the prices hell you guys could fund a US university. I found that different dealers have the same knives at drastically different prices (shig for an example). Where is the competition? Also why do people here hate CKTG? Umberto, are you that sinical that you think the guy you bought your knife from is wringing his hands, cackling and counting his gold, reminesing how he sold a knife with a crack to one person? Reading your post made me think; if i was in his position i might, but probably not. For the most part I enjoy reading what people have to say here and I've learned a lot but only so much. There is an invisible wall here that no-one dares to piss on, and I find that to be limiting me in my pursuit of knowledge about my tools.

Use paragraphs. Helps with readability.

Now for bias - if you read a bit more you will see that there are a lot of vendors and products that are often recommended that have no official rep or financial interest here.

Did he get banned or chased off?

Either way, its rather peaceful now.

But when people rep EE, JNS, or Japan tool and all the others (no offense guys)I feel like people here are saying "take my money, I don't want it!" and for the prices hell you guys could fund a US university. I found that different dealers have the same knives at drastically different prices (shig for an example). Where is the competition? Also why do people here hate CKTG?

I feel this is the most unbiased kitchen knife forum on the internet. That I've found at least. There are vendors here and the general collective body of posters certainly have their preferences when it comes to different vendors, stones, and knives - but that's true everywhere I've seen and it's less blatant here.

It's hard for me to read the CKTG forum these days. I just feel there is a very, very strong marketing push. It's attached to a vendor so it's understandable. But if you read, say, the sharpening section - you are almost guaranteed to see Ken pushing his Nummmbattamma (word is banned here) stones [I actually own one], or one of the natural stones he sells, or Shaun/************** promoting his 'stone set' (Latte/Iman, Naniwa Green Brick, and Snow White) in a thread. Unless you're reading a vendor subforum you will not see that being done here and even in those, they tend to be less pushy.

I feel like in many ways that can be misleading to new people. 90% of people do not need a Naniwa Snow White [own one of those too]. Owning a different Nummmbattamma stone for every 500 grits is not productive or even helpful. The forum seems much bigger on Shapton Pro stones these days and I think those are solid options, but for a long time they were really big on the Shapton GS 1k+4k combo [own that as well]. I think the Shapton 4k GS is a horrible, horrible stone for someone new to sharpening.

I own a Richmond Artifex and while I think it's a decent knife, there are better options for that price point IMO. I bought the CKTG diamond plate and it was so unbelievably warped that it was useless for flattening stones. Their videos have gotten better recently but for a long time the technique as far as sharpening & testing/using a knife was atrocious. Really, really cringe-worthy.

I've only had experience with two vendors here (JKI & JNS) but my experiences with them has been wonderful. All the products I've received have been exceptional at worst and I've found them to be open and approachable. They've also both been very helpful in increasing my knowledge about knives, stones, and sharpening. More so than anywhere else. So yeah, it might cost a little bit more, but I'm a believer in putting my money where my mouth is and I'm completely happy to support businesses that I really like. And I'm confident it'll be a good experience. If I'm a vocal supporter of some of their products it's only because I really believe in them. I think that's the case for most of what you read here.

Just my take.

This might aound uncalled for but kkf was a peaceful relaxing place for the knife nut to chill after work. Since you arrived I cant fking stand it go ruin someone elses life you tosser. All you do is go on about things that we have already discussed and understand and try and prove us wrong. From your posts about sharpening you obviouslly know very little about sharpening and even if you want to wank off about how good you are the point is you SERVED **** FOOD SO **** OFF. you are a discrace to being a chef and are what makes this industry so annoying. maybe you should learn to understand things before you open your ******** mouth. Just because you point some things out and they are valid doesent mean you need to constantly change subjects to start fights. PLEASE **** OFF AND DONT COME BACK.

Makes me proud to be an Aussie :doublethumbsup:

:)

I

I've only had experience with two vendors here (JKI & JNS) but my experiences with them has been wonderful.

Just my take.

Yea I would agree, I have had good experiences and most people and vendors here are helpful and contribute to a good topic. I like this forum and maybe because i haven't bothered with other forums that I don't know the other side(whoops! ;p). The grass feels fuzzy and the sun is shining, I think I'll pull up a grill and have a beer. And hope that my time here I haven't stepped on too many toes. Can this thread die now?

Back