Masamoto HC vs Sweden Series

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
am actually checking out yamawaku stuff on ebay. gonna order a lefty gyuto. if i like it, i might get different size ones and maybe a sujihiki or something. but he does blue steel only so, that might not be an option for you. a lot of my knives are mostly carbon coz i don't mind carbon, actually i love the stuff.

after i get my lefty hankotsu from the mail, which would be probably a week or so from now. i'm aiming to get either a lefty 180mm deba or a tojiro western boning knife. and that's aside from stones. this addiction / passion or whatever you wanna call it is expensive. and kinda makes regular people wanna think, why does this guy have all these knives? is he crazy or something? i guess many of you can relate to that.

trying to complete my kit is all.

=D

my budget isn't big so it's mostly left handed versions that are available online so it won't be too expensive. nothing over 200$ so far. 200$ is already a month's salary here for most people. a lot of people can live off of that here. survive mostly.

Yamawaku knives are actually very good. You'll be glad you pulled the trigger.

thanks lefty. solidifies my choice for gyuto.

already have a blue steel santoku so i know what i'm getting as steel is concerned.

He used to use V2, I believe. You should ask about an upgraded ferrule...yes, seriously. Haha. The handle is great, but the plastic sucks. Other than that, it's a very, very good buy.

I PIF'd my nakiri and I actually miss it a bit. You might find the grind a tad flat, but that allows for a nice easy thinning, and the KU is very textured, so not much sticks.

i haven't placed an order yet. i'll take it up with the seller when i do. thanks for the tip.

=D

i don't mind flat grinds. already used to it with using righty knives. lol.

pardon my ignorance. what's V2?

Alright so someone on here has offered a used 240mm HC for 130 euros shipped, so I'm thinking I'll get that, check it out, if I'm not happy with it re-sell it.

I'm thinking its a good knife, especially at that price, right?

what's V2?

A steel type made by Takefu. Used in some Kochi and also some Yoshikane. Very nice steel in my experience, likely due to the skill of maker like anything else.
Cheers!

made a quick googling, ok i got the idea on what V2 steel is.

I'm thinking its a good knife, especially at that price, right?

it's a notch below the dragon from what i've read. but i really like my masamoto HC, i don't love it though.

go for it if you really wanna try it out.

=D

A steel type made by Takefu. Used in some Kochi and also some Yoshikane. Very nice steel in my experience, likely due to the skill of maker like anything else.
Cheers!

thanks chinacats.

if yoshikane and kochi uses it. that'd be pretty good stuff.

=D

oh that thread. lol. buyer seller miscommunication. that was two years ago. there's always buyer protection on ebay so i'm not really worried. i've been buying and selling stuff since 2006. so far only 1 instance of a bad transaction. after hundreds upon hundreds of transactions. pretty good =D

Can someone who owns a 240 Misono swede possibly give me some rough measurements? I've seen different sites quote some varying numbers. Just wanna know what the cutting edge runs and what the blade height is.
I'd appreciate it, thanks.

one last thing, when you get to wanna have like a honesuki, a deba, a hankotsu and other more asymmetric knives.... you'll really end up getting either a custom one or a specially ordered left handed version. so i'd like to think you'd get what you really want when you order one that's really fit for your needs.

it'll "pay" in the end, paying extra for what you want.

=D

unless you like giving yourself a hard time. i know i do. lol. i'm a bit of a masochist that way.
you know, theres a nice looking yanagiba here at http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Zensho-Yoshikane-V2-Yanagiba-Left-handed-270mm-p/857.htm
along with a nice deba also made by yoshikane. also check out the lefty knives at JKI here http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-by-type/left-handed-knives.html. they seem reasonably priced for lefties also. cant help you with honesuki or hankotsu though.

thank you for showing those to me. i've read about those already.

i'm considering them also. not really looking for a yanagiba though. a suji would be great, already have a few on my short list to consider.

JCK states a width of 51mm, mine measures 48mm after I've made a flat section à la française and a few years of use and sharpening. So the 51mm is perfectly convincing to me.

JCK states a width of 51mm, mine measures 48mm after I've made a flat section à la française and a few years of use and sharpening. So the 51mm is perfectly convincing to me.

Thanks Benuser. I tend to trust JCK, but wanted to confirm after seeing some conflicting measurements. And the edge runs closer to 250 like Koki states?

With my transformed oldie, I measure choil-tip 241mm, and heel-tip along the edge 244. If you take into account my flat section and a small tip repair these 250mm are rather plausible.

With my transformed oldie, I measure heel-tip 241mm, and along the edge 244. If you take into account my flat section and a tip repair these 250mm are rather plausible.

Cool, thanks again.

Where I wrote heel-tip please read choil-tip...

Thanks Benuser. One more quick question for you: Would you say this is a relatively stiff blade considering its spine thickness? Or is it on the flexible side of things?

About the spine thickness: Koki has changed his way of measuring. Today he advertises 2.2mm, previously it was 2mm. I don't believe the knife changed since, it's 2mm in the middle.
There is some flex indeed. The taper seems to start immediately from the spine on. Some people will have to adapt their sharpening technique. In the kitchen, you get used to it very quickly. Because it's no feather weight it doesn't feel awkward.

Back