Masamoto KS info to pass on

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok sorry I asked then. You seem to be offended by my questions.

i'm not offended at all, i am simply trying to suggest that your assumptions are not correct.

Ok. Noted. Even I can be wrong on occasion. :laugh:

Just found out f/ Koki that a KS2924 san-mai wa-gyuto 240mm is...

wait for it...

$575
In that price range I'd get Shigefusa or Kato, the steel is better than white 2, and the hardness is same, and for Kato may be higher.
It would not hurt if someone can do a head to head review of the 3 .

In that price range I'd get Shigefusa or Kato, the steel is better than white 2, and the hardness is same, and for Kato may be higher.

+1

Spread some clay on the top third or so and harden. I understand the materials are higher but less labour as you don't need to forge weld.

Next time before you say such thing just mirror polish 24x5cm plate of highly hardened metal, twice ;)

As to the Masamoto, apart from having the logo and being cooler, theres wiser ways to spend 600 dollars, maybe?

If someone wants to purchase the Masamoto, and others want to send me the Shig & Kato, I'd be happy to do a review of all three!

At $600, that's in the company of some pretty sweet knives. Without actually seeing one, it's hard to say that I'd rather get a Shig, Kato, etc. even if it is white #2. As we know, it's what the maker does with the steel more than the steel itself. If it's got the KS profile AND has a good grind being thin behind the edge with convex face, I'd prolly take that over the tank of the Kato.

But this is all speculation - someone needs to throw down for it.

If someone wants to purchase the Masamoto, and others want to send me the Shig & Kato, I'd be happy to do a review of all three!

At $600, that's in the company of some pretty sweet knives. Without actually seeing one, it's hard to say that I'd rather get a Shig, Kato, etc. even if it is white #2. As we know, it's what the maker does with the steel more than the steel itself. If it's got the KS profile AND has a good grind being thin behind the edge with convex face, I'd prolly take that over the tank of the Kato.

But this is all speculation - someone needs to throw down for it.
When you say Kato is a tank did you mean just heavy or too thick? Have you tried one?

I mean thick. And no I haven't tried one, but with all the positive talk I'd love to. I say tank because chinacats recently posted a comparo pic and it looks pretty wedge-y.

I mean thick. And no I haven't tried one, but with all the positive talk I'd love to. I say tank because chinacats recently posted a comparo pic and it looks pretty wedge-y.
I see, that is spine shot, the knife is super thin behind the edge. In any case hope soon one of those Masamotos ends in the hands of one of the members followed by a review.

I see, that is spine shot, the knife is super thin behind the edge. In any case hope soon one of those Masamotos ends in the hands of one of the members followed by a review.

I'm looking at the third set of pics which are choil shots, and the middle pic the Kato.

yeah, that looks pretty wedgetastic, i have to say.

I had the new Kato first, and had no wedging issues. I think it holds true to the myths, I wanted to dislike it but it will take some serious competition to beat out the Kato for my next gyuto.

The sanmai Masamoto is quite interesting, can't wait for the review, so someone needs to get one.

in that case, really looking forward to getting to try another Kato.

I had the new Kato first, and had no wedging issues. I think it holds true to the myths, I wanted to dislike it but it will take some serious competition to beat out the Kato for my next gyuto.

The sanmai Masamoto is quite interesting, can't wait for the review, so someone needs to get one.

I'm suffering the same problem, I do not want to like this knife (Kato)--at least not bad enough to buy one--and so far it is a losing battle.

All I can say is the same as others; the damn thing cuts way better than it looks like it should. I just re-examined the blade to see how much the thickness changes from choil outwards and cannot tell visually and I don't have calipers. It cuts as if it is very thin behind the edge, but just doesn't look like it is. A true enigma.

:curse:

I'm suffering the same problem, I do not want to like this knife (Kato)--at least not bad enough to buy one--and so far it is a losing battle.

All I can say is the same as others; the damn thing cuts way better than it looks like it should. I just re-examined the blade to see how much the thickness changes from choil outwards and cannot tell visually and I don't have calipers. It cuts as if it is very thin behind the edge, but just doesn't look like it is. A true enigma.

:curse:

ImpossibleFork.jpg

:laugh:

I got an email from Koki, turns out the KS San Mai is not the same profile as the KS mono steel. He said it is more similar to the mizuno tanrenjo. And edge length is 230mm

Latest posts

Back