Masamoto ks wa gyuto clones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KS is an excellent, elegant knife. FWIW, just one guy’s opinion, I bought several profile clones; all are significantly different from the KS in some way (wide bevel, heavy workhorse, laser). Then I got a KS and didn’t like it as much as any of the others - it just didn’t suit me.

KS is an excellent, elegant knife. FWIW, just one guy’s opinion, I bought several profile clones; all are significantly different from the KS in some way (wide bevel, heavy workhorse, laser). Then I got a KS and didn’t like it as much as any of the others - it just didn’t suit me.

I like my KS, a lot, but I am not a fan of the clones that I have used. I came to learn that while I like the profile it is the whole package that makes the KS. :) Anyway, I agree that the clones are missing what makes the KS a KS. Most are still nice knives though.

Clones, clones and more clones! Except some of the clones aren’t even close to being clones. Make any sense?

Clone should be a genetic duplicate? Am I missing something?

Indeed. One would have to speak with the clone king to find out why some came out with a 23rd chromosome.

IMG_8175_1.jpg

IMG_8176_1.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

This knife is awesome! I recommend you buy the KS instead of a clone. Cooking right now is a joy, but I am at a different place in life as a Chef that I don't need to be cutting though tremendous amount of prep, more so just a few technical items that I work on. I love my Shibata Kotetsu and Takeda, but I needed something stiffer and I only use my Shirogami Takobiki for fine slicing. Everyone I asked would always recommend something other than the KS, but I am glad I made the purchase.

One thing I can say is that I am not too sure if I would like to use this knife as a workhorse. I can definitely imagine how it would be harder to rock this knife as a prep or line cook at any establishment with decent volume. I also wouldn't recommend this knife if you are still developing your sharpening abilities on whetstones, you will have to sharpen this knife more often than most.

On a side note, I wish the kanji were stamped deeper like most Masamoto knives. Also, my Takobiki is 270mm and you can see how much longer the supposedly 270mm KS is.

Latest posts

Back